Poor etiquette amongsts staff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor etiquette amongsts staff

Poor etiquette amongsts Pharmacy staff! Discuss your experience. A friend of mine kindly agreed to travel 4 hours to work in Glasgow on arrival he was unacknowledged by the pharmacy staff nor was he offered a drink. Now I am brought up well if someone travelled far the least you could do is say hello my name is such and such. Would you like a drink? Do some staff feel so subservience and intimidated that they forget basic manners? Is this an isolated case?
    from my personal experience I found some staff disrespectful to others belongings for example they would stand on a colleages jacket if it fell on the floor. The would eat all the chocolate a customer brought in before others come back from their break, they would stare at your messages reading them as they flash on your mobile instead of averting their gaze inrespect of your privacy. All falls against what I was taught manners wise.

Originally posted by Primrose View Post
    Poor etiquette amongsts Pharmacy staff! Discuss your experience. A friend of mine kindly agreed to travel 4 hours to work in Glasgow on arrival he was unacknowledged by the pharmacy staff nor was he offered a drink. Now I am brought up well if someone travelled far the least you could do is say hello my name is such and such. Would you like a drink? Do some staff feel so subservience and intimidated that they forget basic manners? Is this an isolated case?
    from my personal experience I found some staff disrespectful to others belongings for example they would stand on a colleages jacket if it fell on the floor. The would eat all the chocolate a customer brought in before others come back from their break, they would stare at your messages reading them as they flash on your mobile instead of averting their gaze inrespect of your privacy. All falls against what I was taught manners wise.
    They would say it is not their job to make drinks for locums or pick up their things from the floor.
    Or they have never been shown any kindness.
    Just keep in mind closing time and look forward to it.
    Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
    Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

What's wrong, as a pharmacist you expect to have a drink made for you? Perhaps us lowly non-pharmacists haven't got the intelligence required to find the kettle. Or perhaps we have been dealing with angry customers and addicts for four hours waiting for someone to show up. In my shop we are lucky, our regular locums agree that pay for dispensers is massively disproportionate to the amount of stress we encounter in the job (I work in a exceptionally busy 100hr) and regularly show up with breakfast or lunch for everyone. Even our superintendent puts the kettle on, get this, on a daily basis. Try not to fall off your chair.

Comment

When ive made thr 4th round of tea then yes i do expect a repayment of politeness. You confirmed my suspensions of intimidated staff who mention pay as a reason that is v uncivil to think this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

They would say it is not their job to make drinks for locums or pick up their things from the floor.
          Or they have never been shown any kindness.
          Just keep in mind closing time and look forward to it.
          The mad thing is they are shown kindness and politeness but some are so failed in life they take it out on us.

Comment

You don't say in your post that you have made 4 rounds of tea for everyone, you said your friend showed up and no one offered them a drink. If they were all walking round with a drink then yes it would be fair to say that's bad manners. Why on earth would anyone feel intimidated or subservient?

Comment

Some of the most difficult and obnoxious people I have ever come across I found working in retail pharmacy. What is it about the places that attracts them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
                Some of the most difficult and obnoxious people I have ever come across I found working in retail pharmacy. What is it about the places that attracts them?
                The fact they can do 16hr per week the minimum to claim every hand out unlike in hospitals where it is mainly full time contracts thus community pharmacy attracts the rifraf.

Comment

Ah there's your true opinion. Who has poor etiquette now? Your 'us' and 'them' mentality is the root of your problems, and, lack of experience perhaps. If you want a pharmacy that runs smoothly, you don't upset the staff who do most of the donkey work, and you certainly don't call them subservient. When we get a new locum, the superintendent asks us if we would have them back, he doesn't give a rat's about whether they want to work with us it's the other way around. You also talk about staff saying they're not doing things 'they aren't paid to do' how many locums walk in and just wait for things to check? No checking? Time to read the paper.

Comment

Maybe things have changed, but I can't see why, but when I was a locum (14 years ago), staff clubbed together to buy the tea, coffee, milk. It was not provided by the employer. Why would I expect kindness from a complete stranger? Have you ever asked who provides the teas and coffees? These are people we are talking about with real lives and their route into pharmacy wasn't necessarily because they were not as bright or as motivated as you. There are a raft of reasons why we are where we are, and academics, often, has precious little to do with it. Come on folks, we know better.

Comment

There are a variety of reasons why people might behave as such:-
                      • the theory of in groups and out groups
                      • decision fatigue
                      • ego depletion (very, very relevant in retail)
                      • habit
                      • bad management
                      • deteriorating conditions at work
                      • they may feel that saying 'hello' to someone is superficial (see above two points).
                      In general the retail sector (supermarkets, small clothes shops in particular) has a lot of jobs where people are not stimulated, left to their own devices, don't get anyone saying hello or who gives a toss. With the repetition in pharmacy I think this may be an issue for some other people. Habits then develop. It's not that people start out that way or with those intentions, but it ends up like that.

It's also difficult enough trying to integrate this into personality differences. Of the big five personality traits the open to experiences trait is going to have a bit to do towards this 'etiquette' and the extroversion/introversion axis a big part. Retail is a terrible, terrible place for managers to wax lyrical about people being 'naturals' and born with so called customer service skills. It is in my experience and view a highly destructive process that overlooks the vast spectrum of human behaviours and how people can make things work.

Comment

Luckily I've always been to places with nice staff. I'm not a big tea or coffee drinker so I don't mind if I get one but it's nice to be asked.

Sometimes staff that don't say hello or dot talk much are just introverts and are quite, rather than rude.

i do however don't think that staff appreciate how daunting it can be as a locum going to a new place almost everyday, it's like the first day at a new school! Include us in the workplace banter!

Comment

I've experienced this myself. And also in Glasgow. Not to breed controversy, but from the experiences of myself (and some of my peers) if you are of a certain demographic (I.e. young, Asian male pharmacist) you're automatically probably not going to be liked, maybe due to the past experience of staff members, cultural differences or whatever. (And it takes time for people to warm to you)

However, I've seen nastiness from managers, team leaders and pharmacists alike - is it the Pharmacy world, working in multiples , or Is the working world just a very rude place?

Comment

It is true that people of colour are viewed with suspicion. Unfortunately this is more common at the lowest end of the academic ladder due to social demographic perceptions. It is also true that a young female can be viewed with a degree of animosity also older pharmacists sometimes get abused due to speed or style of work.

Comment

Working...
                            X