Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work SO hard but still fail

Hi everyone,
    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didn't know where else to post it. I would love some advice.Today I found out that I didn't get a pre-reg place via the national recruitment system, I am now onto plan B. I feel like I have worked so hard and invested so time and money in gaining experience and developing myself for everything to crumble. I have spent the last 4 summers working, volunteering in hospitals, doing placements and building my CV. My ultimate goal was to do pre-reg in hospital and work in a hospital afterwards, that dream is over now. I felt the interview process went well but somehow I didn't do well enough to get any offers, in essence I have been 'kicked off' the system, and can apply to are independents outside the system. I should be able to view feedback before the end of the week. It feels like a bad dream, I have been looking forward to this for a long time. To make matters worse I must have spent over £200 travelling to the interview/assessment centre.
    Right now I am considering a complete exit from pharmacy after pre-reg. If I cannot be what I want to be in pharmacy then what's the point of staying in pharmacy. I have never liked community pharmacy, and I don't think I ever will.
    Last edited by velvetsky; 7th, November 2017, 07:07 PM.

I am very sorry to hear of your problem. The best way forward imho is:

1) See what feedback you can get from the prospective employers who did not appoint you.

2) Can anyone at the Uni where you graduated help?

3) List your strengths and weaknesses and see if you can get employment as a pharmacy graduate outside pharmacy.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Mutley; 7th, November 2017, 07:03 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by velvetsky View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didn't know where else to post it. I would love some advice.Today I found out that I didn't get a pre-reg place via the national recruitment system, I am now onto plan B. I feel like I have worked so hard and invested so time and money in gaining experience and developing myself for everything to crumble. I have spent the last 4 summers working, volunteering in hospitals, doing placements and building my CV. My ultimate goal was to do pre-reg in hospital and work in a hospital afterwards, that dream is over now. I felt the interview process went well but somehow I didn't do well enough to get any offers, in essence I have been 'kicked off' the system, and can apply to are independents outside the system. I should be able to view feedback before the end of the week. It feels like a bad dream, I have been looking forward to this for a long time. To make matters worse I must have spent over £200 travelling to the interview/assessment centre.
      Right now I am considering a complete exit from pharmacy after pre-reg. If I cannot be what I want to be in pharmacy then what's the point of staying in pharmacy. I have never liked community pharmacy, and I don't think I ever will.
      I understand your situation as I had similar thoughts 2 years ago when I was a 4th year student. I did get a hospital pre-reg place but I vowed to quit pharmacy if i didn't get it.

My advice is to complete the pre-reg year so you can register as a pharmacist. This will buy you a bit of time and give you an income whilst you seek alternative paths in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by ucnvpe0 View Post

I understand your situation as I had similar thoughts 2 years ago when I was a 4th year student. I did get a hospital pre-reg place but I vowed to quit pharmacy if i didn't get it.

My advice is to complete the pre-reg year so you can register as a pharmacist. This will buy you a bit of time and give you an income whilst you seek alternative paths in the long run.
        Thankyou for your reply
        That sounds like the best way to move forward. How would I go about finding what is the right alternative path for me? I like healthcare but I don't know what it is that I want to do within healthcare. As you have more life experience than I do, do you think it's unreasonable to want to quit because I didn't get what I wanted? . In my opinion coming back to hospital after 3-5 years in community will not be worth it. I met a pharmacist earlier on in the year who went from pharmacy (pharmacist) manager at a chain to band 6 in hospital, and that move came with a huge salary cut, I am talking nearly a half. I won't be pharmacist manager but personally I feel it's not worth it.
        Last edited by velvetsky; 7th, November 2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
          I am very sorry to hear of your problem. The best way forward imho is:

1) See what feedback you can get from the prospective employers who did not appoint you.

2) Can anyone at the Uni where you graduated help?

3) List your strengths and weaknesses and see if you can get employment as a pharmacy graduate outside pharmacy.

Good Luck!
          Thanks Mutley. There's only one feedback document, as it was national recruitment, meaning one interview for all my choices. I will thoroughly go through the feedback and work on weaknesses. In the meantime I will be applying for pre-reg at independent pharmacies.

Comment

Thankyou for your reply
            That sounds like the best way to move forward. How would I go about finding what is the right alternative path for me? I like healthcare but I don't know what it is that I want to do within healthcare. As you have more life experience than I do, do you think it's unreasonable to want to quit because I didn't get what I wanted? . In my opinion coming back to hospital after 3-5 years in community will not be worth it. I met a pharmacist earlier on in the year who went from pharmacy (pharmacist) manager at Boots on over to band 6 in hospital that move came with a huge salary cut.
            To get ideas:
            - Have a look at the big graduate schemes such as the Times Top 100 Graduate Employers. They are very competitive but it helps you get an idea of what's out there.
            - Ask friends, family and friend of friends about their jobs or future plans.
            - Be proactive during pre-reg to get some time in a different sector (ask to experience hospital/GP surgeries).
            - Ask lecturers more about the daily life, especially the ones who continue to work within the pharmacy sector.

Comment

Thankyou for your reply
              That sounds like the best way to move forward. How would I go about finding what is the right alternative path for me? I like healthcare but I don't know what it is that I want to do within healthcare. As you have more life experience than I do, do you think it's unreasonable to want to quit because I didn't get what I wanted? . In my opinion coming back to hospital after 3-5 years in community will not be worth it. I met a pharmacist earlier on in the year who went from pharmacy (pharmacist) manager at a chain to band 6 in hospital, and that move came with a huge salary cut, I am talking nearly a half. I won't be pharmacist manager but personally I feel it's not worth it.
              It's not unreasonable to want to quit after what's happened. The switch from community to hospital is possible but just a bit harder. If that's what you want then make sure you apply for as many jobs as you can from March onwards (during the pre-reg year). Also remember to be as flexible as you can with regards to the location.

Comment

I know a couple of pharmacists who went to hospital straight after completing pre-reg in community, it's a myth that if you don't do a hospital pre-reg you are stuck in community forever. I think the band 6 jobs are almost easier to get than pre-reg positions.

Is there a second round or clearing for hospital? If so, make contact with your first choices. Maybe make contact anyway and ask them to consider you if they have a last minute drop out.

I know it feels huge now, but pre-reg is just one year and the qualification at the end is the same. Get a pre-reg place anywhere and work your butt off, try to organise a cross sector placement so you have something to talk about in your band 6 interviews or ask to spend some (of your own free) time in hospital before the band 6 jobs come out so you can get to know what it's like and maybe what they are looking for.

Comment

Agree with ucnvpe0’s last point; be as flexible as possible with regard to location. Don’t tie yourself to anywhere you don’t absolutely have to. And best of liuck

Comment

The human mind is wired up to not treat losses and gains equally. You are 'framing' this in terms of a loss. You frame it as a loss, your mind will take you on a massive joyride unless checked by your rational side. For weeks, for months, for years even maybe.

I don't know the ins and outs, but I think it sounds perfectly possible to go from community to hospital.

There are very fewer immovable deadlines or NOs in life than we think there are, especially when in our teens and early twenties. My advice would to do everything everyone else has said and read a book on Negotiation such as Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss. It has invaluable stuff about interviews and serious situations without all the usual twaddle people say about read books on grad recruitment etc.

Comment

Jami74 is completely right!

I have worked with a few pharmacists who have made the switch

don't give up, you're going to have a long career in whatever you decide to Do, one year community isn't the end of the world

you will learn a lot from it and it won't hold you back once you're in the nhs

Comment

Hi everyone,

Was in a similar position to you just over a year ago. Stuck with community for pre-reg (admittedly I didn't dislike it as much as you, but clinical was what I was always more interested in), passed pre-reg and got a band 6 hospital job straight after. Where there's a will there is a way!

Comment

PM me please velvetsky

Comment

I know at least 3 people in my pre-reg group from Boots that went into hospital after the pre-reg, it is absolutely possible to do so don't worry and keep trying. You are still at the beginning of your career, and not the end so there are plenty of options (although you may have to be flexible with location).

Comment

Hi everyone,
                              I hope you are ok.

I registered to reply to you, but I know I'm a bit late but don't give up just yet. I was on the same boat as you a few years ago, wanted to go into hospital pharmacy but failed to get a place, and I had no pre-reg placement sorted until the November that year, and I had to move down south to actually complete it with a community pharmacy. I also, at that time, wanted to retrain into something else as I felt it was a loss and a waste. Two years after registering, I got a band 6 in a hospital closer to home. Several of my colleagues also made the jump into hospital so it can be done. With regards to the money....yes it is a large paycut. I'm a few years out of date with community pay, is it like, £36k-ish salaried? Compared to band 6 starting pay of £26k+on call, it's a large cut, but after a few years you can get back up to similar pay as a community pharmacist, with the potential to earn more as you move up. The only way you can get more as a community pharmacist is to work in management, or own your own....or locum

The only advice I can give you is not to give up, and be flexible, you are still early days in your career and have a wealth of options open to you. Life does bring it's lemons, but it can be character building and it will be worth it in the end when you get to a place where you want to be. Your experiences could work to your favour during future interviews.

Comment

Working...
                              X