Push doctor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push doctor

Im seeing a lot of private Rx from push dr and dr now. Patients seem to think as they paid for the consultation they do not have to pay for the drugs. What do you think?

Of course they have to pay. If the ‘prescriber’ says they don’t, or gives that impression, dodgy advertising. Complain to Trading Standards.

Comment

Why would they think this? Even if it wasn't explained to them why would they think a 3rd party business would give them free goods?

Comment

Maybe new patients. There is a lot of tv advertising and advertising going on the net at the moment for Push Dr.

Not something I've encountered. Seen a lot of Push Dr prescriptions and some patients are very happy that the prescribing fee is substantially below that of some private hospitals.

The main limitation of Push Dr is the faxes. If they can get rid of that and send electronically I can see it growing a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post
          If they can get rid of that and send electronically I can see it growing a lot more.
          Would be more useful if electronic.
          Extra complexity around a repeat prescription though.

There needs to be a minimum private script charge though.
          One quote we saw for a dispensing was 95p (for a POM including all fees).
          Not sure if it is worth the effort and take the liability for that price.
          Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
          Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
          If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

Would be more useful if electronic.
            Extra complexity around a repeat prescription though.

There needs to be a minimum private script charge though.
            One quote we saw for a dispensing was 95p (for a POM including all fees).
            Not sure if it is worth the effort and take the liability for that price.
            I thought most places had minimim charges?

Push Dr does involve more risk and work to the pharmacy team overall. The amount we make out of it given the workload is fair - a lot more than 95p. It also can't be scaled up without more efficiency like not using faxes. It seems to be the bottleneck at their end too, although that may be incorrect. They quote 90 mins to organise the script but on weekends run way behind this as it is basically phone and fax based which is very inefficient.

The extra work of a private probably costs us about an extra 50p in work in support staff time vs a green or electronic NHS. So 95p would be very bad for us.

Comment

Hi Primrose. We are getting a lot from Push Doctor and are getting the same reaction from patients. Can't imagine doctor having a conversation about fees. Presumably consultation is paid for prior. After diagnosis, patient is probably only asked where they want the script sent. Bizarrely, patient infers that cost was all in, even though the merest semblance of thought would lead them to an alternate conclusion.

Comment

People have got used to the idea that all medicines are free in the UK.
                johnep

Comment

I used have a minimum charge for private prescriptions of £6 per item

Comment

Originally posted by Racer2 View Post
                    I used have a minimum charge for private prescriptions of £6 per item
                    Most have a minimum of £5 per item whatever it is.
                    If it sells OTC (GSL or P) we usually do that to save the hassle.
                    Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                    Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

The liability for dispensing the prescription falls on the RP if anything goes wrong, also patients think the price includes the dispensing not just consulatation never explained at pushdoctor.

Comment

I’ve looked at the Push Dr site. The page about prescriptions includes : 'PRESCRIPTIONS COST JUST £8

Please be advised our charge covers admin and delivery of your prescription; a medication fee will be charged by the dispensing pharmacy. Read more'

Whether that is enough I don’t know.

Clicking on ‘read more’ brings up a sidebar with
                        'You'll also need to pay for your medication at the pharmacy, even if you’re usually exempt from paying for NHS prescriptions. Private prescriptions can however often work out cheaper than those issued by the NHS.'

Could be worth printing out the page to show patients who are concerned.

Comment

The Push Dr dealings should be referred to as a consultation and the medication received as the prescription.
                          No wonder the patient is confused and angry.
                          Or more angry as angry seems the default condition amongst the people who can't take their eyes off their phone while you are talking to them.
                          I hate interrupting people why they are on the telephone.

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                            I’ve looked at the Push Dr site. The page about prescriptions includes : 'PRESCRIPTIONS COST JUST £8

Please be advised our charge covers admin and delivery of your prescription; a medication fee will be charged by the dispensing pharmacy. Read more'
                            In fairness, I would assume that £8 would get me more than the admin and delivery of a piece of paper. Most people use the word ‘prescription’ to describe the bag of medication, as in asking, ‘is my prescription ready?’ Consultation would be a better word except that no consultation takes place.

If they are charging £8 and people are paying it then that is a good indicator of the appropriate price a pharmacist should charge for ‘admin and delivery’.

Comment

The question is, should we really be dispensing from faxes, they are advertising it as an almost instant service yet it takes several days for the prescription to actually arrive at the pharmacy. If pharmacies didn't dispense until the original arrived that would get them a lot of grief. Personally, I don't appreciate it when Drs that we have no knowledge of fax things through without contacting us first. Neither do I really have the time to ring up their automated line every time and key in a special code.

Comment

Working...
                              X