Opening of new pharmacy schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening of new pharmacy schools

I was just on the ucas website browsing around and when I clicked on pharmacy, it seems a place called ulster is now also offering the course. I just want to know what people make of the fact that there are 25 schools of pharmacy and some of these are open in places where you wouldn't find a course such as medicine.

I just feel by opening schools left, right and centre, it kind of puts us in the lower end of good courses and gives us a bad recongition in contrast to medicine and dentistry. Not only this but there are fewer schools of medicine and dentistry and these are in more prestigious unis. So my main point is, should we take a step back, increase the entry requirements and make sure we open up in decent unis?
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Opening of new pharmacy schools

we already have a bad recognition compared with other courses.
    Last edited by Rafael; 3, January 2009, 08:55 PM.
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

The reason for the new school of pharmacy at Ulster university is probably that the A-level requirements for pharmacy at Queens University Belfast, (the only other uni in Northern Ireland) are so steep compaired to some of those in GB.
      Alot of Irish were going cross the water for the degree so the uni wants to nab those students and their tasty fees. Don't expect this to be increasing the number of pharmacists produced much as they were just going elsewhere.
      Also Cork (i think) has opened a school so that may mean less of the Irish remaining in the UK after studying there.

It isnt about a desperate need for more pharmacists in Northern Ireland though judging by the different rates of pay.

Comment

@ raoul : I am more concerned about how schools of pharmacy are opened in random places if you like, no disrespect to these cities. If we are ever to get the same recongition as we deserve, this point needs to be addressed.

Comment

One of the problems is that Medicine and Dentisty are clinical subjects that rely on access to patients in a university teaching hospital, and are funded much more highly than pharmacy.

Pharmacy is regarded as a science subject and is funded like a BSc chemistry course. However, cost of teaching pharmacy not as high as teaching pure chemistry and jobs can be virtually guaranteed to graduates 'at present'.

Thus a pharmacy course attracts the students and in particular those from overseas. Not much call for pure chemistry graduates in the developing world.

Pharmacy will be attractive until there is one more graduate than there are jobs. Or, until the govnmt decides that with technicians now recognised by the courts as pretty well equal to pharmacists in accountability, then pharmacists can be replaced by minimum wage technicians.
          johnep

Comment

They've been opening new schools where there is a demand for pharmacy graduates. Preston has been open just over a year now and it has loads of support from the hospital and community pharmacies as they must be wanting access to the students.

The Coleraine campus of The University of Ulster is opening a school for the reasons mentioned above. Many students are travelling overseas because they cannot get entry into Queens. I applied there and my offer was three As at A-level.

I think the number of schools we have at the moment is fine - though i could see Scotland opening a school as theirs are a million miles apart from each other and anything else of interest. However, i do think caution should be taken in the future as it would be stupid to allow pharmacy to get into a situation where graduates can't get preregistration positions, or first year qualifieds can't get a job.
            I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

You are wrong to argue (please read on!) about opening schools. All students who want to access MPharm should be given the opportunity..........if they meet the standard.
              The trouble we have is that, although UCAS quote prospective grades to be high (maybe above 3 Bs) the actual grades that students are allowed to enter with are lower, I know of somebody at Portsmouth let in via clearing with DDE. The RPSGB recently reported good grade entry levels, but didn't state whether they were actual grade entries or prospective. The new schools, by default, must drive down the A level requirements because there has never been a lack of vacancies. Lecture theatres had spare seats from day one, right?
              So the problem must have been a lack of supply of high graders. Now the people who graduate will be those who didn't cut the mustard. In other words, dumbing down.
              It is wrong to say that when supply outways demand people will leave, as the government dont volunteer this information. No-one actually knows anything about the degree in college unless they have links to a Pharmacy owner. If the demand and salary for Dentistry was volunteered to college students, pharmacy would be finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
                we already have a bad recognition compared with other courses.
                removed your long rant then

Comment

yeah
                  [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Is this a serious worry to you that sexy London will have more cache than Preston or Sunderland (where I qualified)?

I have never ever known anyone have their job application turned down because of the institution they obtained their qualification from. I don't restrict that to Pharmacy.

As for "prestige".........??????????? The prestige of our profession is compromised by pharmacists on easy street who don't have to put themselves out to make a reasonable living and who refuse to do CPD. A little more competition from increased pharmacist numbers would give us all a boost.

Build more schools of pharmacy, increase the number of pharmacists and provide more services from pharmacies which would then have less argument against employing more than one pharmacist. Yes the rates may reduce per hour but more activity should address that as pharmacists charge fees for "adding value". Those bad pharmacists as do exist (and they do) should not be able to work as easily as they can now.

Build more schools of pharmacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Last edited by Tony Schofield; 5, January 2009, 07:01 AM. Reason: Spelling error to disgrace a 2 year old
                    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post

Pharmacy will be attractive until there is one more graduate than there are jobs. Or, until the govnmt decides that with technicians now recognised by the courts as pretty well equal to pharmacists in accountability, then pharmacists can be replaced by minimum wage technicians.
                      johnep
                      On oneside some say theres exciting new things happening for pharmacy. On the other hand its possible for technicians to replace us. Will this ever happen?.... surely pharmacy cant die out.

Comment

pharmacy will probably never die out but its role may change significantly over the next century and beyond - look at how the past role of the pharmacist changed over the previous 100 years...
                        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Technicians will never be able to do clinical checks anyway.

Comment

never say never! who knows what may change in the future?
                            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post

As for "prestige".........??????????? The prestige of our profession is compromised by pharmacists on easy street who don't have to put themselves out to make a reasonable living and who refuse to do CPD. A little more competition from increased pharmacist numbers would give us all a boost.
                              I have no problem with the concept of CPD but the reality for many is;

1. Doctors get (paid for) Locum cover while they do CPD.
                              Pharmacists are expected to do it at their own expense and in their own time.
                              There is a lot of talk about a multidiscipinary approach between the professions, How about the regulators start treating us on a par with Doctors and pay for Locum cover to enable Pharmacists attend CPD courses?

2. The resources devoted by the authorities to CPD are pretty poor to say the least. It would be much more productive if the regulators put more significant resources into helping Pharmacists with their CPD instead of concentrating effort on stasi-esque Police state regulation.

3. The CPD itself often takes far too long to write up given the fact that Pharmacists typically work 10 -12 hour days, with no lunch break, standing on their feet all day, most are too knackered for anything other than sleep at the end of the day.
                              Last edited by openmind; 5, January 2009, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X