NHS charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS charges

Today script for two made to measure stockings. One or two charges? Nurse had told pt would be only one charge. Could not find any advice in DT or NPA list.

johnep

Re: NHS charges

two i would have thought - usual stocking rules should apply ie one charge per leg as far as i know.
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Am 99.9% sure you charge as 2 items. I always did.

(If customer complains, just say "yes it is terrible isn't it, why don't you write to your MP"--then they don't blame you!)

Comment

Would also say 99% sure it's 2 charges.

Doesn't help in the face of patient's logical questioning, "why is it a charge for each one for these when I can get any amount of the same type of tablet for only one charge?" Answer, "it just is, sorry!"

How much would MTM stockings cost to buy? More than a couple of px charges I'd imagine.

Comment

100% it is 2 charges.

Shan
          [url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
            Today script for two made to measure stockings. One or two charges? Nurse had told pt would be only one charge. Could not find any advice in DT or NPA list.

johnep
            ===========================================
            See 11.2.4

http://www.ppa.org.uk/edt/January_2009/mindex.htm

11.2 MULTIPLE PRESCRIPTION CHARGES PAYABLE

11.2.1 Different drugs, types of dressing or appliances are supplied.

11.2.2 Different formulations or presentations of the same drug or preparation are prescribed (but see 12.4.2) and supplied.

11.2.3 Additional parts are supplied together with a complete set of apparatus or additional dressing(s) together with a dressing pack.

11.2.4 More than one piece of elastic hosiery* is supplied.

* (Anklet, legging, knee-cap, below-knee, above knee or thigh stocking).
            ================================================== ==

Jeff

Comment

Exception is lymphoedema garments (was this patient getting lymphoedema stockings?) PSNC state that:
              "Where more than one appliance of the same type is supplied, other than standard elastic hosiery, only one prescription charge should be levied, for example a prescription for a pair of ‘Jobst Elvarex Custom Fit Class 1 Thigh High Stockings would incur one prescription charge as this item is considered a Lymphoedema Garment." (Prescription Charges Funding & Drug Tariff PSNC)

Otherwise, two charges as stated in other posts. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks to all for your comments. Satisfied that two charges for a pair of stockings (not for lymphodema) is correct.
                johnep

Comment

Me too - 100% 2 charges

I found out yesterday that if 2 pairs are ordered on a script ie 2 x left and 2 x right its 4 charges. It one charge for each garment, one garment = one stocking.

I always thought it was one charge for each leg regardless of quantity ordered.

Comment

Four charges? Are you sure?...Did you try the NPA info dept?

Comment

Yeah four charges, read it in the C+D yesterday. I thought it was wrong initially but it presented a good argument.

No havent checked may do tomorrow

Comment

don't bother. 4 charges is right.
                        ....just my opinion

Comment

Yes it's definitely 1 charge per bit of hosiery. It was in the faq of a recent psnc publication.

Comment

Working...
                          X