Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice re:superintendent pharmacist/Job!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re:superintendent pharmacist/Job!

Dear Pharmacist community

I was wondering if I could ask for some general guidance regarding superintendent pharmacist roles and wholesale distribution.

I am a Doctor and own a medical aesthetics training company and we are looking at supplying our own students with the most common medical aesthetic materials- namely botulinum toxin- via an online pharmacy.

The plan is to buy stock from a pharmaceutical company as wholesale and then stock the items. Items will then be bought with a digital script service online and medications will be delivered to the address of the practitioner. Much like companies such as www.Medfx.co.uk etc

I understand to do this we will need the following (please add in anything you think we may need to do):

1. Registration with the GPhC as a private pharmacy - with this application we will need to nominate a superintendent pharmacist
    • How much involvement would a superintendent pharmacist need to have in the day to day runnings of the business? Would it be a full time job?
    • What level of financial reimbursement would a superintendent pharmacist expect for this kind of job role?
    - Would anyone be interested in joining us to be our superintendent pharmacist in the Nottinghamshire area?!

2. Get a wholesale distribution license from the MHRA

We are in the process of this application however need to ensure we can be registered with the GPhC first- and find a superintendent pharmacist!

3. Acquire premises
    We have a business space in mind as well as links to get wholesale price on the medications we need.

Any help would be much appreciated as this area is very difficult process to gather information on.

Many thanks for all your help

David

1.Superintendent roles are deemed to be full time. While the work may, concievably be part time. Hopefully, someone else can better answer the remuneration question.
    2. As you are already in the process of obtaining a WDL, not sure what help you need. Maybe you can ask your Superintendent to oversee the wholesale operation? This will bump up your cost, but you will have peace of mind.

Comment

I have PM'ed you.

Comment

A distance selling pharmacy doesn't sound like the option for you. In reality you could register a private only pharmacy that could supply all the aesthetics you could want without the onerous requirements of having an NHS contract and the constraints therein. In your shoes I'd register a private pharmacy in the space and this would give you the freedom to chose your own opening hours at your own discretion. Superintendent for such a pharmacist should be a reasonably easy task once the SOP's are embedded.
        I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post
          A distance selling pharmacy doesn't sound like the option for you. In reality you could register a private only pharmacy that could supply all the aesthetics you could want without the onerous requirements of having an NHS contract and the constraints therein. In your shoes I'd register a private pharmacy in the space and this would give you the freedom to chose your own opening hours at your own discretion. Superintendent for such a pharmacist should be a reasonably easy task once the SOP's are embedded.
          The OP is not applying for a NHS contract.

Originally posted by Daveallen View Post
          Dear Pharmacist community

I was wondering if I could ask for some general guidance regarding superintendent pharmacist roles and wholesale distribution.

I am a Doctor and own a medical aesthetics training company and we are looking at supplying our own students with the most common medical aesthetic materials- namely botulinum toxin- via an online pharmacy.

The plan is to buy stock from a pharmaceutical company as wholesale and then stock the items. Items will then be bought with a digital script service online and medications will be delivered to the address of the practitioner. Much like companies such as www.Medfx.co.uk etc

I understand to do this we will need the following (please add in anything you think we may need to do):

1. Registration with the GPhC as a private pharmacy - with this application we will need to nominate a superintendent pharmacist
          • How much involvement would a superintendent pharmacist need to have in the day to day runnings of the business? Would it be a full time job?
          • What level of financial reimbursement would a superintendent pharmacist expect for this kind of job role?

- Would anyone be interested in joining us to be our superintendent pharmacist in the Nottinghamshire area?!

2. Get a wholesale distribution license from the MHRA

We are in the process of this application however need to ensure we can be registered with the GPhC first- and find a superintendent pharmacist!

3. Acquire premises
          We have a business space in mind as well as links to get wholesale price on the medications we need.

Any help would be much appreciated as this area is very difficult process to gather information on.

Many thanks for all your help

David
          Regarding superintendents, quote from GPhC:
          "Superintendent pharmacists and responsible pharmacists have legal obligations under the Medicines Act 1968. The role of superintendent pharmacist is a key position carrying full time responsibility and accountability within a company."

So essentially, the superintendent has full time accountability/responsibility. However if you are employing locums or another pharmacist to carry the dispensing and other day to day pharmacy work, then the superintendent doesn't need to be on the premises full time.

I would expect them to ask for a salary similar to that of a superintendent in a regular pharmacy. Of course there is room for negotiation depending on experience etc.

I will private message you in regards to the job.
          Last edited by Lefty; 10th, October 2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Don't you just love it when people use the forum for the free advice, then never to be seen again!

Comment

They never think to record their experiences to help others.
              johnep

Comment

Working...
              X