Pharmacists Disunited!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacists Disunited!

I have observed on many occasions the lack of professional unity amongst Pharmacists. Doctors and nurses seem to support each other whilst we fight each other and withhold information from each other, what is going on with our profession, Share your thoughts.

Because a decent chunk of the profession is in business (community pharmacy) and due to being paid per script, human nature results in an innate sense of self preservation.

Nurses don't have such internal competition as far as I'm aware.

Doctors get paid per patient and then have to budget accordingly. Can't remember seeing any doctors advertising to increase their list.

One solution, which is never going to happen of course, would be to revert back to a model where each pharmacy had to be owned by an actual pharmacist and they could only have a financial interest in only one or two pharmacies. Your name and reputation on the door and you're likely to live in the community with the people you help every day and consequentially more likely to put the patient first than some distant shareholder who only sees yearly profit and not know the people disadvantaged by their financial decisions by name. Oh, and also more likely to cooperate as a cohesive unit against outside threats, to answer your question (as opposed to the situation we find ourselves in where the big boys are complicit in strangling independents and registered pharmacists from multiple angles).

You've shared your observation. I'm curious about your thoughts, also?

Regards.
    Last edited by Locum X; 7th, October 2017, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Spot on LocumX

Comment

Originally posted by Locum X View Post
        Because a decent chunk of the profession is in business (community pharmacy) and due to being paid per script, human nature results in an innate sense of self preservation.

Nurses don't have such internal competition as far as I'm aware.

Doctors get paid per patient and then have to budget accordingly. Can't remember seeing any doctors advertising to increase their list.

One solution, which is never going to happen of course, would be to revert back to a model where each pharmacy had to be owned by an actual pharmacist and they could only have a financial interest in only one or two pharmacies. Your name and reputation on the door and you're likely to live in the community with the people you help every day and consequentially more likely to put the patient first than some distant shareholder who only sees yearly profit and not know the people disadvantaged by their financial decisions by name. Oh, and also more likely to cooperate as a cohesive unit against outside threats, to answer your question (as opposed to the situation we find ourselves in where the big boys are complicit in strangling independents and registered pharmacists from multiple angles).

You've shared your observation. I'm curious about your thoughts, also?

Regards.
        In my opinion these are the traits that I observe in many Pharmacists, note the use of many not all. I have a belief that cowardly, spiritless souls,feeble minded pharmacists are given positions of importance thus instead of asserting our rights they agree with everything they are told to do.
        Do you agree with me on the following, a Pharmacist should act firstly in the interest of the patient and abide by the code of ethics then be loyal to their employer? Well this does not always happen and I have numerous examples of this as I like to observe and reflect.Sometimes I feed back this to people concerned most of the time Im shocked by where the loyalty lies and the lack of integrity amongst some pains me.
        An example of which can be seen in some area managers. Although some are so professional they leave their position!
        Last edited by Primrose; 7th, October 2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Getting the people of Westros from GOT united would be an easier task than getting pharmacists united!

Comment

The responsible pharmacist legislation was the opportunity to win the profession back.
            Look how this was turned to commercial advantage.

Although some did dig their heels in and made it work in the interests of the patient and the profession.

Just look at how BMA spokesmen operate - on the level on how it will affect patients.
            A pharmacy spokesman does the same?
            Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
            Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
            If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
            X