Makers cannot supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makers cannot supply

This is a peak time for asthma problems and now we find Prednisolone 5mg ec is o/s. How absolutely rediculous.

We are reduced to using 2.5mg strength and this is likely to go o/s in a couple of days. Ructions last night when we had to tell an irate customer that we had no stock.

What is your experience?
    johnep

Re: Makers cannot supply

This is the logical outcome to bearing down on the price of generic drugs. If there is no profit in them, fewer manufacturers will make them and you will get shortages. Compounded of course by the christmas madness.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
      This is the logical outcome to bearing down on the price of generic drugs. If there is no profit in them, fewer manufacturers will make them and you will get shortages. Compounded of course by the christmas madness.

Christmas madness indeed.
      Who needs 8 x Salbutamol inhalers.
      Mind you patient is well known for 'test firing' them to make sure that they haven't run out.
      We wondered if she needs to use the inhaler, sitting as she does in her small living room full of salbutamol mist.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        This is a peak time for asthma problems and now we find Prednisolone 5mg ec is o/s. How absolutely rediculous.

We are reduced to using 2.5mg strength and this is likely to go o/s in a couple of days. Ructions last night when we had to tell an irate customer that we had no stock.

What is your experience?
        johnep
        That it usually isn't a case of makers can't supply - but a case of the only wholesaler that you are allowed to order from can't supply. That what they can't supply is the brand of generic specified by their PMR system - and that a phone call will often find another make.
        As for Xmas madness - a couple of weeks off over Xmas - New Year works for me (One of the advantages of being a locum)

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          As for Xmas madness - a couple of weeks off over Xmas - New Year works for me (One of the advantages of being a locum)

Jeff

And me! One of the advantages of being the boss!
          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            That it usually isn't a case of makers can't supply - but a case of the only wholesaler that you are allowed to order from can't supply. That what they can't supply is the brand of generic specified by their PMR system - and that a phone call will often find another make.

Jeff
            Another thought - EPSR2 will not let you double up or divide down, neither will it let you supply caps instead of tablets. It will be fun finding the work-arounds to that!
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Told Deltacortril not available until end of March.
              On Pharmacy Manager can select either AAH or Unichem (supposedly only for Pfizer lines). Will see if able to order generics from Unichem. If so then this would be a benefit of having two wholesalers.
              johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                Told Deltacortril not available until end of March.
                On Pharmacy Manager can select either AAH or Unichem (supposedly only for Pfizer lines). Will see if able to order generics from Unichem. If so then this would be a benefit of having two wholesalers.
                johnep
                Try CTRL-G to see other generics (manufacturer items not wholesaler items)
                There's another shortcut to see alternative packs but can never remember it.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that e/c (or gastro-resistant) prednisolone had no benefit over standard tablets, or was that aspirin? (it might have been over a year ago).
                It seems we might end up having to suggest substitute steroids. Anyone more knowlegeable up for suggestions other than prednisone (if you can still get it).
                How times change.

Comment

Just found this http://www.formulary.cht.nhs.uk/pdf,...ednisolone.pdf

Comment

Does the current system allow for substitution of uncoated prednisolone when a shortage like this occurs? Would appear to be the obvious solution in most cases...
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

No--you need to get the rx amended or re-written, or be slightly corrupt with a black biro and a copy of the doctor's initials!

Do you still have bucketloads of deltacortril in Co Clare, what with the strong euro and all that? Is it dual packaged--ie PL number(UK) as well as PA (Rep of Ire) number? Cathal May Roberts wholesale are owned by LLoyds aren't they?......

Comment

as far as i know AAH still have stock of generic actavis ec prednisolone 5. Give them a ring with your account number (expect it to ring out for bloody ages until someone picks up) and they should be able to find some for you - ask them if there's any left in another depot if there's none in your local depot and they can get them passed over to yours and sent to you.
                        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post

Do you still have bucketloads of deltacortril in Co Clare, what with the strong euro and all that? Is it dual packaged--ie PL number(UK) as well as PA (Rep of Ire) number? Cathal May Roberts wholesale are owned by LLoyds aren't they?......
                          It was unobtainable about 3 months ago, but soon re-appeared in new packaging (the usual).We got around the shortage in the usual way though . Seems to be freely available again..but as you know that can change like the weather here..bulk packs of paracetamol were unavailable for three weeks!
                          Don't know about the dual packaging..back to work on Monday, so can check then...5mg only of course...2.5mg hasn't been seen here since biblical times!

Fleeg.
                          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Doxazosin now latest MCS. We also tried to get cardura with same result. Anyone else got problems?

Not really on this thread, but had dental script for 1.1% sodium Fluoride toothpaste. PMR said Duraphat 5,000. However, I cannot find any reference to 1.1% anywhere on the tube or PIL. Where does this 1.1% come from?
                            johnep

Comment

PPM refers to fluoride ions. 1.1%w/v refers to conc of sodium fluoride. 1.1% is equivalent to 5000ppm fluoride(Duraphat 5000) , and 0.619% is approx 2800ppm (Duraphat 2800).

PPM is now the preferred method for describing the amount of fluoride in toothpaste.
                              http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Working...
                              X