Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Community Pharmacy Outsourcing to Pharmacy2u....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Pharmacy Outsourcing to Pharmacy2u....?

A colleague was telling me today that their local pharmacy is now sending prescriptions to Pharmacy2u. As far as they are aware, the patients were informed about this but were given no choice in the matter.

This is insane. If Pharmacy2u secures more 'deals' like this, we may be heading for an independent community pharmacy apocalyse!

So. how do they make their profit?
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      johnep
      No idea John. Was hoping someone on the forums could shed some light.

Comment

• admin
        admin commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm confused too. Why would a pharmacy send prescriptions to another pharmacy? Are you sure you don't mean the GP's we're sending the scripts?

GP EMIS computer system can be set up with patient authorisation to send scripts to P2U.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        johnep
        I was wondering recently when someone would do an internet pharmacy version of what companies like NWOS and Wardles do for nurse prescriptions.

I imagine it would be something along the lines of: pharmacy signs up the patient, handles all acute items, but sends off the repeats for p2u/online pharmacy to process and deliver to the patient. In return, I guess the pharmacy maybe gets a fee per item or script that they send off.

If this were possible, I imagine it would be very tempting to pharmacies who process a lot of dossette patients, especially delivery patients. I suppose that in a lot of independent pharmacies without economies of scale, such prescriptions are actually being dispensed at a net loss when you factor in the staff time involved in dispensing them, material costs of dossettes, and cost of delivery.

...but thats just my opinion!
        Pharmacist, and developer of https://www.pharmdata.co.uk/ - see item figures for any pharmacy in England and Wales

Comment

Why oh why are we even debating this company everyone and there uncle knows the level of immorality of P2U when it comes to profit over peoples healthcare. P2U highlights the gross ineptitude of pharmacy to deal with companies such as P2U. Our representative bodies and in particular GPhC have let there membership down yet again. A measly £100k fine is a drop in the ocean for these heavily investor backed profit lead conglomerates. They should have been struck off for their last scandal but as usual Teflon P2U get away with it and continue to piss off the majority of independents with their unethical behaviour...

Comment

Originally posted by sidneycat View Post

I was wondering recently when someone would do an internet pharmacy version of what companies like NWOS and Wardles do for nurse prescriptions.

I imagine it would be something along the lines of: pharmacy signs up the patient, handles all acute items, but sends off the repeats for p2u/online pharmacy to process and deliver to the patient. In return, I guess the pharmacy maybe gets a fee per item or script that they send off.

If this were possible, I imagine it would be very tempting to pharmacies who process a lot of dossette patients, especially delivery patients. I suppose that in a lot of independent pharmacies without economies of scale, such prescriptions are actually being dispensed at a net loss when you factor in the staff time involved in dispensing them, material costs of dossettes, and cost of delivery.

...but thats just my opinion!
            Yes I was thinking it could be something like this. Possibly a fee per item that goes p2u. Could make it feasible for the contractor to cut costs.

Comment

A good way to cut staff hours.
              johnep

Comment

Classic outsourcing

Comment

Pharmacy2u, obviously doing something right, March 2017 dispensing figures 167,000 items, 4 x more than 2nd placed pharmacy!!!

Comment

Unintended consequence time.
                    What is to stop the outsourcing company from removing the middleman once the patient details are known and the method of distribution to that patient has bedded in with them?
                    It only takes a change in EPS nomination.

Did anyone keep the christmas card from 2015 from the biggest online UK pharmacy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-meltdown.html

Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                    Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmaton View Post
                      Pharmacy2u, obviously doing something right, March 2017 dispensing figures 167,000 items, 4 x more than 2nd placed pharmacy!!!
                      I read somewhere (probably C+D) that their warehouse capacity is 700,000 items per month; wouldn't be surprised if that's the figure they are aiming for. At the rate they are growing, won't be long before they hit it either! They gained around 7000 EPS nominations in the space of a month according to pharmdata. Madness.

Comment

When Amazon enters this market, I suspect they would be doing 1M items plus per month within a year and would double that amount every year. Amazon would be prepared to run this at a loss for years to take a massive share, then they go to the Government and tell them what remuneration they want. The Government will not be able to negotiate (total opposite of today's situation). The local pharmacy market will be decimated with only a handful of independents left that offer outstanding customer service and Boots pharmacies which have been acquired by Amazon to act as spokes. Could there be another way?

Comment

Working...
                        X