Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compounding chemists?

Do these still exist ?

I was watching a video of a manufacturing chemist talk with great passion about the art of formulating. And I remembered we used to do this in pharmacies!! Each pharmacy had their own line of products made in house, which added so much charm to the profession.

Thanks all

From time to time I do write up about formulation and compounding. Currently working on a Xylitol mouthwash and thinking about using Xanthan gum in making a cream. All my ideas use easily obtained ingredients.
    In my day, compounding was an everyday necessity. Was stopped after Sodium Fluoride used instead of Sodium Chloride (That got rid of drug rounds) and the Peppermint Water case.
    johnep

Comment

Compounding also became less relevant with the development of more accurate dose forms, such as tablets.

Comment

I have prepared cachets in the past. Primitive tablet like lozenges can be made by pressing a paste into holes in a board.
        Believe B&W pioneered tablets under the Tabloid brand name.
        johnep

Comment

Yup, used to make cachets quite regularly at one time. Personally I’ve never made pills ‘for real’ although my sister, also a pharmacist did early in her career. I’ve made suppositories that were going to be used and one place I worked we regularly made batches of eye-drops.
          Very late in my career I made ‘baby bags’ for Iv feeding of neonates.
          Round about 1975 eem to remember having a ‘free and frank’ discussion with Kerfoots ...... tablet and galenical manufacturers of Ashton under Lyne ....... about the provenance and hence quality of a batch of something or other.

Comment

Used to do it and had patients who brought their 'extemps' because made a good job of it too.

Don't miss doing it, in the sense that we would not have the time or the space these days...
            With a tower of baskets and MDS in progress taking up the space.
            Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
            Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
            If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Some Spanish pharmacies invested on this and make their own tablets and foil blister them as well. I used to make loads of compounding, my favourite one was the peptonized haemoglobin wine, used as a tonic.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                From time to time I do write up about formulation and compounding. Currently working on a Xylitol mouthwash and thinking about using Xanthan gum in making a cream. All my ideas use easily obtained ingredients.
                In my day, compounding was an everyday necessity. Was stopped after Sodium Fluoride used instead of Sodium Chloride (That got rid of drug rounds) and the Peppermint Water case.
                johnep
                Great stories fellas. Such a shame this field is dying now.

John, where do you get your formulas? I don't think I've ever seen a formula textbook.

Comment

Basically google, then adapt as necessary. The old formulary was Squires Companion. For the mouthwash, I looked at both Xylitol and standard recipes. The proposed cream really based on mayonnaise. All my formulations are prepared using easily available ingredients as difficult to buy chemicals etc.
                  johnep

Comment

Working...
                  X