Phoenix and UDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix and UDG

Does anyone have any further information on the dispute between the above 2 companies. Apparantly UDG(a pre-wholesaler) has been 'lent' on by Unichem and are not delivering anything to Phoenix resulting in a huge amount of out of stocks at Phoenix.

Nice to see these companies have patients' interests at heart.

And what exactly is a 'pre-wholesaler'?? It just seems another unnecessary link in the supply chain. What next a pre-pre wholesaler?

Re: Phoenix and UDG

Hey Jon..

Although I'm over in Ireland, I have been watching this "joust" of the big boys. Don't have any immediate updates re this dispute, but re pre-wholesalers, have a look at this...they appear to be fairly common across Europe.

Sagard

Fleeg.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Cheers for link!!

Comment

The latest news i received from a Phoenix regional sales manager was that the court order has now been lifted. This means that the stock owned by UDG which is in Phoenix warehouses can now be supplied.

The whole situation was as the previous writer stated some kind of fight between Unichem as they own one of the companies who own UDG. As i saw a Unichem representative last week and he gave me some sales pitch based on how unstable he thought Phoenix were. Interesting due to the amount of debt Alliance Boots have amased with the buy out.

Comment

I was told by Phoenix rep that Unichem are wanting payment of invoices due end of Dec by 17th of Dec. Must need the cash quite desperately

Also rumour has it that 30 drivers released from Preston depot??

How much is true or just jungle drums I don't know!!!

Just found this website with a bit more info.
          Last edited by JonF; 11, December 2008, 09:31 PM. Reason: to link

Comment

Everybody in the pharmacy supply chain needs paying on time. Pharmaceutical wholesaling operates on tiny margins so cash flow is imperative.

It's funny how Unichem are being portrayed as bad guys when the owners of Phoenix, gambling massive sums of their companies' money on the German stock market (principally in Volkswagen shares which they bet would go down, very public spirited of them) and coming unstuck are being portrayed as "wronged".

Unichem are not a charity and I am sure some of this is to do with the exclusive DTP deal signed between Lilly and Phoenix.
            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

They were wanting paying 2 weeks early!!! Doesn't help cash flow of companies who get those demands!!

Granted, the owners of Phoenix shot themsleves in the foot, but what do i tell patients when i can't get stock for them???

I'm loosing track of what products i get from where and what discount i get for which products!! It's all getting a bit too complicated, i yearn for the days when we just ordered from one wholesaler and all the stock came in!!!

Comment

When wholesalers, including Phoenix, lose confidence in a pharmacy customer they garnishee the NHS payment. They are then paid before the contractor. Lose no sleep over poor Phoenix!!

However I agree about wanting to return to the days of one wholesaler

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                  Everybody in the pharmacy supply chain needs paying on time.
                  Check out Boots terms - (or ask Martin B)

Jeff

Comment

I know all about them. I don't condone it by any means. But Saint Phoenix.......?

I want Phoenix to survive, don't get me wrong. Things improved immeasurably for independent contractors when they entered the duopoly. But they all get up to dirty tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                      When wholesalers, including Phoenix, lose confidence in a pharmacy customer they garnishee the NHS payment. They are then paid before the contractor. Lose no sleep over poor Phoenix!!
                      Correct me if i'm wrong, so a garnishee order forces the PPA to pay the wholesaler any owed money, and then any remaining to the contractor?

Never heard the term garnishee before!!

Comment

I may have spelt that incorrectly. The NHS cheque is paid to the wholesaler who releases the balance to the contractor after deducting the wholesaler debt. It is the result of a court order usually. It is not a situation restricted to pharmacy and can be done voluntarily.

The reason you may not be aware of it is that few pharmacies have been struggling as they did in the 1990's, particularly the mid 1990's.

Just watch. The NCC have put a lot of pharmacies up for sale and I expect others to follow suit.

Comment

"You can use a garnishee order to force a third party who either holds money belonging to the debtor or owes the debtor money. The garnishee order only works once at the moment it is served. If there is no money in a bank account at the time it is served then the order fails.

To apply for a garnishee order you need to fill in a copy of Form N349 and send it to the court with the appropriate fee"

Found on a legal self help website. Obviously it is a little less straightforward with a monthly payment.

I do know pharmacists and companies who have been subject to garnishee orders. What I suspect happens is that the first is applied for and then the contractor, to keep the account open, voluntarily signs over the NHS cheque on a monthly basis until he/she drags him/herself out of the brown stuff.

Comment

So how is everyone finding the current out-of-stock situation at Phoenix?

Also, does anyone use the mypin website?

Bobbin

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
                              So how is everyone finding the current out-of-stock situation at Phoenix?
                              Been off for a couple of weeks, but half an hour on the phone on Monday sorted out the bulk of the problems.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X