Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new amendments to the CD regulations since 2006-what do pharmacists really think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new amendments to the CD regulations since 2006-what do pharmacists really think?

Dear Pharmacists,

I am undertaking a research project as part of my Master’s Degree.

My research subject is to evaluate community pharmacists’ views and understanding about the amendments to the controlled drugs regulations since 2006 and the challenges they face in applying them to practice.

Changes to the framework regarding safer management of controlled drugs came about in light of the Harold Shipman case. The fourth report published in 2004 is targeted at improving safer management and appropriate use of controlled drugs and as a result, assessments are continuously being carried out to strengthen the issues surrounding controlled drugs.

Since the various updates to the amendments have created greater challenges in practise over the last few years, I would like to explore the thoughts that pharmacists have regarding these issues and how they have been informed about the changes.

All views and comments on this topic will be most useful, thank you and regards,

Pharmacy Student

Re: The new amendments to the CD regulations since 2006-what do pharmacists really th

I think the whole thing is a b----y shambles. The registers are confusing and entries frequently made on wrong page resulting in imbalances which then take an inordinate time to sort out. Exactly what had happened when I conducted a routine check on Saturday. (Requirement in multiple).

This time next page to set of entries was 3 or 8 and entries had been put in both. Fortunately Pharmacy manager has a report where you can trace all scripts for a particular CD so eventually got it sorted.

Methadone entries are a nightmare, once stayed hour over time just trying to get entries done and do a balance check. I now avoid that pharmacy.

johnep

Comment

Re: The new amendments to the CD regulations since 2006-what do pharmacists really th

Whilst the new regs were put in as a response to Shipman, not one of them would have stopped him doing exactly what he did (AFAICS).

So, pointless knee-jerk bureaucracy would be my thought.
      Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Originally posted by Defblade View Post
        Whilst the new regs were put in as a response to Shipman, not one of them would have stopped him doing exactly what he did (AFAICS).

So, pointless knee-jerk bureaucracy would be my thought.
        They would not have prevented a Shipman, and neither will they prevent the like of him in the future. They may help detection sooner. But then its already happened.
        There is only one person to blame in the Shipman case - Shipman.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
          They would not have prevented a Shipman, and neither will they prevent the like of him in the future. They may help detection sooner. But then its already happened.
          There is only one person to blame in the Shipman case - Shipman.
          I second that.
          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

We've had to make all these changes and the doctors seem not to have actually had to do anything (CD scripts for >28 days still, private CD Rx's not on the correct form, hell, they still don't seem to have got the hang of putting directions on CD scripts which isn't a new thing, fentanyl patches 'as directed' anyone?)

The new registers are a complete faff and the running balances have given me OCD! The amount of money spent on 2 lots of new registers (flimsy rubbish things that they are) would have been better spent elsewhere.

The changes wouldn't have stopped Shipman and the next Shipman will find ways round them.

Comment

Completely agree with you. Good example of Govnmt mixed up thinking.

The answer these days is not to actually do anything useful, just set up an expensive quango to look into the matter and produce a report.

Typical example of the camel and a horse.
              johnep

Comment

Agree with most of above. The only positives are the waiving of handwriting requirements and the permission to make minor alterations.

Comment

I always find people get funny with you when you ask for ID especially the methylphenidate prescriptions "well I'm his mother, what do you need ID for?".

Half the time people say they have no ID, not even a bank card so even if they were a doctor getting it to misuse a CD in some way I would not have a clue unless I recognised a particular person coming in a lot. However as I delegate it quite often to my staff I wouldn't pick anything up.

Comment

Working...
                  X