Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• responsibility level, locum v's perm

hi folks,

can anyone tell me if there is an increase in the level of responsibility placed upon a pharmacist that accepts a permanent role instead of being a locum. as a pharmacy manager do you have any responsibility for the pharmacy when they are not there?

thanks
    S A

Re: responsibility level, locum v's perm

I'm a pharmacy manager and when Im not there (weekends and holidays), clinical responsibility for prescriptions and advice given out is totally the locum on that days responsibility, but its me that has to:

1.Sort out any errors that may have occured (not often) and follow up the patients and paperwork needed.
    2.Deal with the customers who were promised an item that the locum hasnt ordered. (very often)
    3.Deal with customers whose repeat prescriptions should have been ordered on days off and havent.
    4.Sort out the paperwork and usually count the scripts from the days off i've had that the locum has left.
    5.Tidy up the mess left etc

If I have a week off it usually takes a couple of days to get things running smoothly again.

These problems are just dispensing problems, looking after staff issues are a massive part of being a permanent pharmacist manager.

I reckon a third of my day is taken up with staff and two thirds are what Im actually trained to do.

Comment

Forgot about all the effing targets that are constantly put on you as a regular pharmacy manager. MURS, Script volume, OTC sales, collection percentages, switching numbers, owing percentages, mystery shopper scores, Head Office Audit targets.

Shop responsiblities: Making sure shop stock is all to plan, offers are up to date, sorting out problems when plans are wrong, sorting out problems when offers dont scan, making sure all point of sale merch, sorting out when cards are not accepted, making sure stock is regularly ordered for shop and correct stock is ordered - never ending (most of shop jobs are delegated out to OTC staff) Shop stuff is a constant headache to me which comes from bad bad bad communication from the drones at head office. Pain in my arse.

Also PCT responsibilities: Anual Professional Audit, Monthly health campaignes, essential service monitoring visits, methadone claim forms, NRT claim forms.

The volume of paper work being a permanent Manager is unbelievable.

Im off on one now - would be great just to come in and check prescriptions and advise patients like Im trained to, infact thats the only thing Im trained to do apart from building dry stone walls.

Comment

thanks for your answer Mr Pharm S, i dont want to comment on your problems with locums, but do have a couple of other q's if you, or anyone else could help?
        what about responsibility for controlled drugs/methadone balance/drug disposal etc? surely there is more responsibility there for a PM?

Comment

WE ask the Saturday pharmacist to reconcile CD cupd with register.

Fortunately pharmacy manager has dispensed item report from where you can find what has been dispensed and to who. Useful to check missed entries.
          johnep

Comment

Walk into shop.

Discover the dispenser's off sick, no-one else knows the password, where the CD keys are kept, that there is a clip for scripts due to be done today, where the methadone scripts are, what version of the alphabet they file stock under, where the exceptions to that system are, what owings are done, what isn't, how to tell, when the orders come in, when they need to be sent by, which specials manufacturer they use, where the CD reg is, where the private script book is, how the work out private script prices and about 1,000,000 other things.

There's a huge pile of scripts that "came down late last night" that no-one's bothered to look at 'cos none of them are in today.

If you're lucky, there's a bunch of notes about problems. If you're unlucky, there's not (notes, that is.... always problems!).

Try and slot seamlessly in to how another shop does things, dispensers or not; try and give a service which is at least equivilent to (and sometimes commented on by the staff as better than) the regular manager (if there is one).

A lot of things above can be avioded to a certain extent by visiting a shop before you work there, but it's not always possible, and it will always be in your own time.

Being a GOOD locum is NOT less stressful than being a manager, but the stresses and responsibilties are different. It may not suit someone used to doing things a certain way and having things just so; a LOT of flexibility and on-your-feet thinking is required day to day. But it tends not to get boring

Being a bad locum..... well, I've no idea personally *cough*, but have a few guesses from what I've followed (both as locum and manager)....
            Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Regarding CD responsiblity its the pharmacist in that day that is responsible for dispensing, checking, giving out, recording supply and all other relevant paper work regarding CD's.

The responsibility I have is the days after Ive been off, if an entry hasnt been entered, I officially have some CD's 'missing' from my rolling balance and its me who has to find the entry and sort it out. Also God forbid there was ever a CD dispensing error, it wouldn't be the Lucum or relief manager who covered you sorting it out, it would be me phoning patients to rectify the problem, filling out dispensing error report forms, correcting balances etc.

And its not just Locums, its relief managers aswell. The post above hit it on the head, good lucums and good relief managers leave you with nothing to sort out but its the bad locums and bad relief managers that double your work load.

Comment

its weird that no one has mentioned the quality of dispensing staff on offer in looking at some of the examples, they are the one constant in a pharmacy regardless of who the pharmacist is. I have 1 excellant dispenser who orders and endorses as good as a pharmacist. He prepares all methadones for day and nows all the nitty gritty of what is what, for whom, for when, regular repeats from local GP which are collected sometimes late are completed, even if we have to stay late for 10 or 20 minutes.

I also have 2 good dispensers who labell, assemble and the ASK the pharmacist to stay on one side and they lay down the scripts for him to check and hand out. I organise my branch and staff so one man and his dog could be the pharmacist for the day and it would not make a difference to how the branch operates.,
                I have had locums describe my pharmacy as the best organised pharmacy they have worked in and have left me letters stating so and begging for bookings.

My point is GOOD MANGEMENT, yes it takes time and effort to get to the above stage but is possible. Really depends on the Manager managing. GOOD SERVICE to patients, delivering scripts the following day after collection from surgery, keeping GOOD STOCK CONTROLL, people get their 10 item script in 1 trip and not have to come back for owing items. I average around 5 owings per day in a 12,000 item a month pharmacy. Always, give reciepts for items to follow if they do occour.

Compared to being a locum which I was once, the mangers job anytime and everytime.

Comment

I've got three rules.
                  1. Its my certificate on display so I'm responsible.
                  2. Leave the place as I would like to find it not like I did find it.
                  3. Get in there and get the job done then go home.

Staff expecting someone who will try to read the newspaper, send text messages, talk on their mobile all day are often surprised by rule (3)
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Actually, rule 2 sums up my position rather well.

Implimenting it implies rule 3.

I prefer not to have to lean on rule 1, but it's not unheard of.....

Comment

I don't think its fair to point missing CD entries as a locum's fault. As a relief myself, I've had a good few times when I run into CD discrepancies because the permanent pharm. has not entered in.

Being a good pharmacist/locum or not really depends on the back up you have ie. staff. There are some dispensers who treat locums like they're a class beneath them and boss them around, or there are others who will understand you may not now how they run day in day out but still give you some respect and enjoy working together.

Comment

Originally posted by posey View Post
                        Being a good pharmacist/locum or not really depends on the back up you have ie. staff.

There are some places around which don't have dispensers at all; is it impossible to do a good job there?

Comment

Originally posted by Defblade View Post
                          There are some places around which don't have dispensers at all; is it impossible to do a good job there?

oo you stirrer def!
                          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Defblade View Post
                            lol, no - even more possible! :P No staff hopefully equals very quiet pharmacy, should be able to get your feelers out and adapt to pharmacy setting. Though I have left notes for perm. pharmacist due back for queries that are bound to happen if you've not been there before n unsure how things run eg. pcs system?

Comment

I've also had to work with some locums who have treated us dispensers like we are a class beneath them.
                              There is no benefit for dispensers treating any locum like that, it's like shooting yourself in the foot. I guess any locum badly treated will refuse to work at that pharmacy again, just like if we have had a bad locum we don't book him/her again.
                              I would have thought that responsibilty would be equal where ever you work especially when it comes to CD's.
                              Make some one smile today.

Comment

Working...
                              X