X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roper
    replied
    Re: Clove oil

Another example where "ask your pharmacist" is printed on the bottle as a cop out - but we know very little about it!

Leave a comment:

• hibernia
    replied

Originally posted by Monkeyspawn View Post
    Hi, can someone please tell me if clove oil (for toothache) is suitable during pregnancy. I've been told that it shouldn't be used because it is a uterine stimulant, I've then been told absorption is minimal when used on the gums, thus making it safe to use.
    I'd imagine it would take a fair bit of clove oil to stimulate the uterus; as many people found out in the days before legal abortions it isn't that easy to do.
    I know women who have used it in various stages of pregnancy with no ill effects and it can be a good alternative to painkillers. Most dentists don't want to do any but the most pressing work on a pregnant woman so any alternative is useful. Some women just suck the cloves.

Never heard of it being used for nausea in pregnancy, although some people use "cloves" of ginger.

Leave a comment:

• lamzee
    replied

Originally posted by howe928 View Post
    Not enough research datas about safety is available to recommend the use of clove supplements in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Additional information: Not recommended for under 2 years old. Try not to swallow, if you do, try not to bring it back up.
    Funny enough I've never been asked for clove oil for a pregnant 2 year old.

Leave a comment:

• howe928
    replied

Not enough research datas about safety is available to recommend the use of clove supplements in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Additional information: Not recommended for under 2 years old. Try not to swallow, if you do, try not to bring it back up.

Leave a comment:

• Monkeyspawn
    started a topic Clove oil

Clove oil

Hi, can someone please tell me if clove oil (for toothache) is suitable during pregnancy. I've been told that it shouldn't be used because it is a uterine stimulant, I've then been told absorption is minimal when used on the gums, thus making it safe to use. I can also recall being told that clove/clove oil(few drops in some tea) can be used to treat nausea during pregnancy. I'm confused, can someone please clarify.

Thank you

p.s. It states on clove oil bottles to talk to your pharmacist or doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. I'm thinking because it doesn't clearly state to avoid, it probably is allowed under certain circumstances
Working...
X