Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Interesting

Friends,

It is very INTERESTING indeed to note that, all of us moan and groan about the whole system surrounding us, be it the society, the NHS, the PCT or the patint. But, we have never thought of how all of us take an action together to solve these problems, rather than just post on the forums and lend a shoulder to other's problem.

For a starter we have an live example of the GP's. The GP's across the country took signatures of patients voting against the Government's decision to privatise GP clinics in to Multispeciality clinics, which would have eaten away these GP clinics.

Why can't we all do the same, and come together to sign a memoradum explaining what we expect as Pharmacists?

I know its difficult but not impossible. But for those who would rather post their frustrations in the forums and forget the issue than losing a well payed job, I think it is possible.

Your active participation in this thread will prove whether we need a change or just kepp complaining.

Shan

N.B. : Number of replies would determine our fates than number of views
    [url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw[/url]

Re: Very Interesting

There will never be a perfect system, or a system that suits everybody that is why we are unique. I, for one, would hate to be part of "the collective". Yes we all moan/debate but we are all still doing our job and have not changed career. Change is slow and not over night. If you had noticed not all of us using this forum agree with one another. It's called democracy, we are all free to have our say.
    Make some one smile today.

Comment

Well said Jaymags.

I don't half laugh when I hear how we should follow the example of doctors in publicising our problems.

For the record Shan, how effective were those signatures collected in doctor's surgeries? The tenders were published in September, submitted in October, interviews will be in late November, contracts signed before Christmas with new providers commencing operations on 1st April 2009.

Result?

For who?

I do accept your point about the percentage of whingers cf the number that are prepared to do anything about their position. That has always been the case but I think with the publication of the White Paper earlier this year signals an era of opportunity so some of the whingeing has been effective.
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
        Well said Jaymags.

I don't half laugh when I hear how we should follow the example of doctors in publicising our problems.

For the record Shan, how effective were those signatures collected in doctor's surgeries? The tenders were published in September, submitted in October, interviews will be in late November, contracts signed before Christmas with new providers commencing operations on 1st April 2009.

Result?

For who?

I do accept your point about the percentage of whingers cf the number that are prepared to do anything about their position. That has always been the case but I think with the publication of the White Paper earlier this year signals an era of opportunity so some of the whingeing has been effective.
        Well, friends i didn't mean to hurt any one's feelings towards how that person does his work.

I know in democracy you have all the right to show your personal opinions and also in a democracy i feel if a majority of people start thinking in the same way then they can come together as a group and have a say in how the system should work.

I only meant to encourage people to collectively think of a way that can improve the situation. It doesn't stop anyone from moaning and groaning about what they face.

The GP's example was just a suggestion came at that instant, I may have been wrong. Thats why I am looking for contributions from senior members so we get different ideas how we can try to improve the system around us. The basic principal here is if we can think of different ways of improving the system then we can start practicing them in our own capacity as a pharmacist and may be collectively bring the change. There has to be a start somewhere, isn't it?

Shan
        [url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw[/url]

Comment

Indeed it is Shan. I believe the 2008 White Paper is as good a start as anyone can expect. The opportunities are there so go and get 'em!!

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
            i feel if a majority of people start thinking in the same way then they can come together as a group and have a say in how the system should work.

Shan
            you don't even want anyone to think let them moan and you grab the oppurtuniyies, finish your pre-reg, get accrediated to provide all services, and watch them all moaning again when competition for jobs kicks in( i see it coming next year ).

well that's what i am planning to do within a couple of years time
            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Competition for jobs?

Never happened in the 30 years I have been on the register. Does that mean I can get away with paying lower wages?

Comment

Competition for jobs?

Never happened in the 30 years I have been on the register. Does that mean I can get away with paying lower wages?
                I am afraid I can answer that, I will pass your question on to my union rep
                Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                (T. Pratchett)

Comment

I can't see how there is going to be competition for jobs, if anything responsible pharmacist is likely to make more jobs available no?
                  3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

it will happen soon Mr TS
                    Have you checked how many pre-reg passed their exams this year? 1675 in july and 250 in November.
                    we can't estimate the number of pharmacists going on retirement, moving from full-time to part-time, going on maternity leaves, pharmacists going back to their home country.....etc but the point is much more supply is being pumped into the market every year.

in Birmingham and in london atm, it is not easy to get a job i.e but you still can easily locum in rural areas within Birmingham ( ask solly about it)

Cat M reduction and the need to find an alternative way of gaining profits will raise the competition for jobs i.e MURs is a requirement at the moment for the big chains, meaning a pharmacists who is not willing to meet his targets could be simply replaced with another pharmacists willing to do it. yes there are a lot of pharmacists willing to, and multiples are always willing to import some European pharmacists if they are willing to meet the targets.

i think the coming years will be tough on locums.
                    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Competition for jobs?
                      Does that mean I can get away with paying lower wages?
                      not at the moment, maybe in the future (but still i doubt it). it means you will be paying the SAME wages for pharmacists providing MURs, EHC, smoking cessastion, and more enhanced services, but hardly willing to employ anyone who is not accredated to provide some enhanced services.
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
                        it will happen soon Mr TS
                        Have you checked how many pre-reg passed their exams this year? 1675 in july and 250 in November.
                        we can't estimate the number of pharmacists going on retirement, moving from full-time to part-time, going on maternity leaves, pharmacists going back to their home country.....etc but the point is much more supply is being pumped into the market every year.

in Birmingham and in london atm, it is not easy to get a job i.e but you still can easily locum in rural areas within Birmingham ( ask solly about it)

Cat M reduction and the need to find an alternative way of gaining profits will raise the competition for jobs i.e MURs is a requirement at the moment for the big chains, meaning a pharmacists who is not willing to meet his targets could be simply replaced with another pharmacists willing to do it. yes there are a lot of pharmacists willing to, and multiples are always willing to import some European pharmacists if they are willing to meet the targets.

i think the coming years will be tough on locums.
                        tough on locums perhaps but I don't think it will influence a full time pharmacist. You have to realize that there is also a lack of hospital pharmacists.
                        3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
                          tough on locums perhaps but I don't think it will influence a full time pharmacist.
                          that is one means of competition!
                          locums competing with full time pharmacists (relief pharmacists/pharmacy managers).
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Competition for jobs?

Yes - depending on what's on offer.

Some pharmacists will take a hit on wages if the opportunities are right.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
                              I am afraid I can answer that, I will pass your question on to my union rep

For the purpose of.................?

Whilst I base my contract of employment for pharmacists on the PDA model I have never ever yet dealt with a union representative to discuss salaries.

That means never, ever and nor shall I in the time I have left to work.

By all means welcome the PDA to intervene and represent you on contractual matters but the day I am not free to discuss remuneration on an individual basis is the day I sell up and go.

I notice you are from Zimbabwe, how strong are the unions there and just what do you expect from trade unions in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                              X