Great Expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Expectations

When rota meant you were the only chemist open, then virtually all the scripts were acute and only an item or two. Unfortunately, the advent of 100 hour pharmacies has conditioned the public into regarding a rota pharmacy as just open for their convenience.

Rota tonight and first two scripts were multiform multi repeat items (None originally from this pharmacy, so had to be entered into cptr). I said subsequent scripts could not be done in 10 minutes and assistant said we were supposed to retain every script and not let people go to the 100 hour Sainsbury. At the third such script I did say would do just the urgent item or pt could come back tomorrow. Still had a good few at quarter to seven when I said no more.

One chap said we were open until 7pm and should accept any number of scripts until then. Naturally I was single handed. Then in came a supervised addict who began to get agitated, the 'phone was ringing constantly. Eventually the assistant was able to answer it and relayed to me as caller said very urgent.

It was for midazolam injection which the local hospital had not got, neither BTC or Sainsburys, ie we were last port of call and subject to caller's frustration. Of course we had none and I advised contacting major hospital in Cambridge.

Finally, we got away about 7.20pm.

The public are being conditioned into thinking that we are constantly available for consultation at any time and can get scripts done, no matter how many items, in 10 minutes. Mystery shoppers are employed by multiples to see if scripts take too long.

Now the society is getting into the act and we are rapidly becoming the whipping boys for failures in the Health Service.

No more evening rotas for me!

johnep

Re: Great Expectations

Hallelujah to that John!
    You have just experienced the essence of greed! I've been there, bought the t-shirt, and now very seldom wear it past 6pm. The knock-on is that these late night and rota repeats rapidly become regulars, as you have retained the script...it's the nature of the 100 hour beast...

Fleeg.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
      Hallelujah to that John!
      You have just experienced the essence of greed! I've been there, bought the t-shirt, and now very seldom wear it past 6pm. The knock-on is that these late night and rota repeats rapidly become regulars, as you have retained the script...it's the nature of the 100 hour beast...

Fleeg.
      John,
      Did you bill them for work until 7:20?
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
        John,
        Did you bill them for work until 7:20?
        he can try but he won't get paid for it, just because the pharmacy is open till "x"pm doesn't mean the pharmacy has to DO the Rx that day, if a patient brings in a Rx 2 minutes before the end, and the pharmacy is already busy doing another script, then the patient has to be asked to come in the next day or take their Rx elsewhere.
        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
          he can try but he won't get paid for it, just because the pharmacy is open till "x"pm doesn't mean the pharmacy has to DO the Rx that day, if a patient brings in a Rx 2 minutes before the end, and the pharmacy is already busy doing another script, then the patient has to be asked to come in the next day or take their Rx elsewhere.
          I would bill them anyway.
          2 minutes = goodwill.
          20 minutes = badwill.

Or turn up 20 minutes late for the next booking?
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

No, never have in past, and at one pharmacy used to go home, have dinner, then back to the pharmacy to count the scripts and enter CDs.

When in industry often there until 10pm at budget time. One day went home early by half hour to help one of the staff and was hauled over the coals. Never ever after that worked late.

Things got very nasty at that co near the end, best forgotten.

I had been brought up to get the job done and that is what I have always tried to do.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              No, never have in past, and at one pharmacy used to go home, have dinner, then back to the pharmacy to count the scripts and enter CDs.

When in industry often there until 10pm at budget time. One day went home early by half hour to help one of the staff and was hauled over the coals. Never ever after that worked late.

I had been brought up to get the job done and that is what I have always tried to do.
              johnep
              Tough one...Locums generally are paid for block hours, although we usually find time for some sort of lunch, albeit only 20 minutes. I wouldn't have an issue about the odd 20 minutes here and there, as it usually evens itself out in the long-run...
              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I agree, what is happening is that the traditional goodwill on both sides is evaporating and we are gradually descending into the old british car industry confrontational style where there is no trust on either side.
                johnep

Comment

I agree, what is happening is that the traditional goodwill on both sides is evaporating and we are gradually descending into the old british car industry confrontational style where there is no trust on either side.
                  johnep
                  Well, lets not go to extremes! I really feel for the independents at the moment, thanks to cat M (the cat of a thousand tails!). The reason the British car industry went under was that no-one, on either "side", appeared to be able to add up. Not that this could happen in, say, the banking market now, of course.

I don't charge extra if I'm kept late by patients, they don't know the rules by and large: although I will admit that I keep them quite late if they do that regularly - I get my hat, coat, scarf - hang on, I don't have a hat - where's my keys etc etc and only then tell them we don't have all the items and they will need to come back tomorrow anyway. It doesn't happen often, and really, as they discover, I'm in no rush.

As far as lunch goes, I always take a break, sat down, for an hour. Well, rarely its less than 50 minutes, anyhow. If they want to bring me the odd script to check, if its urgent, that's ok. If they don't want me to stay on the premises, that's wonderful, I don't charge for the hour, and I'll often have a refreshing nap in the car. I make this perfectly clear when I accept a booking, and, yes, some don't book me and that's OK because I really don't want to work there.

Its taken me a long time to be able to do this with a clear conscience. And I feel so much better for it, there is no going back.
                  ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS View Post
                    Well, lets not go to extremes! I really feel for the independents at the moment, thanks to cat M (the cat of a thousand tails!). The reason the British car industry went under was that no-one, on either "side", appeared to be able to add up. Not that this could happen in, say, the banking market now, of course.

I don't charge extra if I'm kept late by patients, they don't know the rules by and large: although I will admit that I keep them quite late if they do that regularly - I get my hat, coat, scarf - hang on, I don't have a hat - where's my keys etc etc and only then tell them we don't have all the items and they will need to come back tomorrow anyway. It doesn't happen often, and really, as they discover, I'm in no rush.

As far as lunch goes, I always take a break, sat down, for an hour. Well, rarely its less than 50 minutes, anyhow. If they want to bring me the odd script to check, if its urgent, that's ok. If they don't want me to stay on the premises, that's wonderful, I don't charge for the hour, and I'll often have a refreshing nap in the car. I make this perfectly clear when I accept a booking, and, yes, some don't book me and that's OK because I really don't want to work there.

Its taken me a long time to be able to do this with a clear conscience. And I feel so much better for it, there is no going back.
                    Seems like you have the right idea! I'm employed as a branch manager so perhaps slightly different perspective but I live very close to where I work so it doesn't usually bother me if I have to stay a little late to do an urgent script or two and to be honest it doesn't happen very often. What I do object to is, as mentioned previously, those customers believe we are at their beck and call and/or don't appreciate it when the pharmacy staff go out of their way to help obtain an item or do their script for them. Personally the public as a whole have come to expect that all businesses, not just pharmacy, should be open whenever they want it and tough luck on the staff that have to work odd hours etc.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginegenerous View Post
                      so it doesn't usually bother me if I have to stay a little late to do an urgent script or two and to be honest it doesn't happen very often. What I do object to is those customers believe we are at their beck and call and/or don't appreciate it when the pharmacy staff go out of their way to help obtain an item or do their script for them.
                      I agree with this absolutely. I didn't qualify to keep people from their medicines, but some are hard to help, aren't they! I suppose they could be ill, or something - let's hope its nothing trivial.
                      ....just my opinion

Comment

johnep
                        Get in there and get the job done.
                        That's what I believe in too.
                        How times change.

Comment

To go back to the original discussion about rotas........

They are only required when provision is poor. If there is a 100 hour pharmacy nearby why is the PCT wasting scarce tax payers resources in paying for a rota?

We only have a rota on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and Easter Monday and it is getting difficult to justify Boxing day and Easter Monday.

If the PCT isn't paying for a rota...........why open for one?
                          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                            To go back to the original discussion about rotas........

They are only required when provision is poor. If there is a 100 hour pharmacy nearby why is the PCT wasting scarce tax payers resources in paying for a rota?

We only have a rota on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and Easter Monday and it is getting difficult to justify Boxing day and Easter Monday.

If the PCT isn't paying for a rota...........why open for one?
                            Didn't notice that - I'm wondering the same.
                            How times change.

Comment

Working...
                            X