Say hello to Alli!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say hello to Alli!!

those those of you who don't know xenical has been approved for a Pom to P switch, it's going to be available as a 60mg dose and named Alli. And there was me thinking of setting up a PGD for it to be used in a "weight management" clinic setting!!!

I think although a decent move, this will place extra pressure on pharmacists as not-so-fat people will come into pharmacies demanding it, but it's going to be license for obese patients with BMI of >28 and as an adjunct to diet and exercise, so it'll be a case of trying to say no to certain patients while at the same time preventing the counter staff to sell it to any tom, dick or harry who walks off the street (or should that be trisha, dot and hailey?).

Makes a change to other recent "useless" pom-p switches including the recent case of Clamelle, do people know diclofenac tabs are now P too?? at a strenght of 25mg!!! why do they bother?
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Re: Say hello to Alli!!

do not worry solly, the new orlistat 60mg will be too expensive for ppl to buy, i do not believe there will be increased demand on it. it is the same with simvastatin p (named pro heart or something like that), a lot of pharmacies do not even stock it as there is no demand on it.

talking about statins, i believe NICE will re-assess their guidelines on prescribing them for ppl with intermediate risk of developing CVD.
    BBC NEWS | Health | Statin use 'may benefit healthy'
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

it's different with xenical, you must always encounter people who ask if there's anyhthing to help them lose weight, also this is to alot of people a cosmetic choice rather than a health choice so cost will not really matter as long as it can guarantee results.

It's different with zocor heart-pro and clamelle, as they offer to treat conditions which have no symptoms and don't offer anything perceptable to people.
      We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Makes a change to other recent "useless" pom-p switches including the recent case of Clamelle, do people know diclofenac tabs are now P too?? at a strenght of 25mg!!! why do they bother?[/QUOTE]

Must admit I didn't know diclofenac had gone from POM to P. I might have been tempted to buy it if the price was right, I can't take ibuprofen which is why I've resorted to using magnetic plasters in the past. As for xenical, we used to sell loads of Adios until we got Silver slimming tablets in, the same people keep comming back and swear they have had results and at £30 (roughly) for a months supply they must have more money than sense. There is no real substitute for a healthy diet and moderate exercise.
        Make some one smile today.

Comment

Xenical (Orlistat 120mg) could be dispensed by pharmacists in NZ to people with BMI>30. Let me tell you, it hasn't been a big success. Roche didn't want to review its price (NZ$160 a pack) and that was a big drag on its sales. People to save money were using it twice a day rather than tds as recommended.

Lately Roche informed us to stop recruiting patients for the support program which was provided free for Xenical buyers until now.

On the prescription side, Reductil started a price war by having the retail price halved.

I reckon the weight loss with all of them is very modest and doesn't deserve their high costs.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymags View Post
            There is no real substitute for a healthy diet and moderate exercise.
            Yes and more specifically;

1. Limiting Daily calorie intake appropriately.

2. Exercising long enough and hard enough i.e. 30mins three/four times per week at 70-80% of maximum heart rate.

1 and 2 require EFFORT - easy to see why the weight loss product market is so appealling to the populace.

I wonder if the s/e occurance of Faecal spotting with Xenical 120mg is as bad with the 60mg dose?

I remember someone mentioning a while back about a Xenical type drug which was in the phase three part of clinical trials, Does anyone know more about this?
            Last edited by openmind; 10, November 2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Cetilistat ??

Cetilistat - Investigational Drug for Obesity - - Drug Development Technology
              http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Also see Channel 4 - News - Obesity-fighting drug developed, which was in news last week.

I personally think Alli will be a super-hit, the tricky thing for a pharmacist would be to make sure it is being sold appropriately. Any one sold sold any Curanail, Ever??

What other drugs do people think will be good as P medicines, or which ones are suitable to provide through a PGD?

Comment

[QUOTE=SolomonQ;.

Any one sold sold any Curanail, Ever??

Been asked for it loads of times until we tell them the price but we do keep one in stock. There is a cheaper preparation out there for about £8.00 that we have sold I think it's Thursday's tea tree oil preparation but don't know how effective it is.

Comment

Phytex paint is quite good I think, and only costs about £2.50-£3, thats what I recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                      What other drugs do people think will be good as P medicines, or which ones are suitable to provide through a PGD?
                      I heard tranexamic acid is being considered for POM to P switch, as well as Bazuka possibly going from P to GSL (good idea, hopefully will materialise)

Comment

My mom remembers when tyrozets went from POM to P and swears they weren't/aren't as good as they used to be. Maybe it's a psycological thing that POM's work beter than P's and maybe there will be folks out there who think the same about P's going to GSL.
                        The reasoning behind this is; if you can only get it from a pharmacy then it must be good. As I said psycological but so is the placebo effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                          Bazuka possibly going from P to GSL (good idea, hopefully will materialise)

How is a medicinal product currently classified as a "p"medicine, undergoing re-classification to "gsl" a good idea?
                          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

In this case I reckon it's a good idea because of its excellent safety profile, and the fact that its been available as a P med for more than a decade means that the public have a good idea already of its use.

Comment

It also means it can be sold anywhere, further reducing pharmacy income ..............still think its a good idea??

Comment

Working...
                              X