Super Sunday Rota in Sudbury Suffolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Sunday Rota in Sudbury Suffolk

Worked in coutry market town today In came couple asking had I heard re a script for 'Cole'.

They had come to the country and left the insulin at home in the fridge. We had herad nothing and neither had BTC. I said we could make an emergency supply but would have to be for 5 pens each of levemir and novorapid.

'Oh I don't pay' was first response. I explained that ES was not a health service and insulin would have to be paid for. We could not split packs as no script ever for 4 pens. Therefore cost would be over £100.

Advised pt to go to OOH services and then found out that this was now in Ipswich, several miles away.

We were only open for the hour but BTC was 10-4 and Tesco was 100 hour so Dr may have contacted them.

When I was in Milton Keynes we had split boxes and would supply single insulin pens as fairly frequent occurrence, but not in rural Suffolk.

What would you do or have done in the past.
    johnep

Re: Super Sunday Rota in Sudbury Suffolk

I have heard of people taking ES costs as a deposit then refunding should they bring in the RX. Dont know how legal this is but as insulin is a P medicine anyway maybe its not such a problem. Funnily enough its never happened to me with insulin but it never ceases to amaze me that people dont ask themselves where the money will come from for their ES if there is no mechanism of claiming for it i.e. a Rx. Maybe the PSNC should look into a mechanism by which ES is an intervention that may be logged so that the cost of the medicine and the professional service of making the ES is remunerated.
    MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

First of all, the insulin is quite expensive, so it can't just be given away.

secondly, the people are visitors to the area so the pharmacy isn't likely to "lose a customer"

'Oh I don't pay' was first response
      would they the same if they walked into BUPA?

Advised pt to go to OOH services and then found out that this was now in Ipswich, several miles away
      tough luck. £100 or the highway, literally!!! it sounds harsh saying that, but a pharmacy is not a charity, when it suits people they treat it like a shop, but when need arises.....

I would have offered one pen of each and if they refused to pay ask them to go to their nearest OOH services, and if it's too far, it's the same everywhere in the country so they can take this up with their local MP.

With the split packs, it would require a bit of extra work, and with the chance of always having a split pack in the fridge, but this is the best balance between the interests of the pharmacy with that of the patient.

I was giving ventolin inhalers for £2.50 last saturday, minimum private fee for pharmacy was £5, but I didn't think that was fair, but thinking back now I should have charged the minimum fee (£5), as people who get it on Rx and pay might get other ideas next time.
      We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Yes Solly, you should have charged £5, obviously you were working for the 'green' pharmacy. Pharmacies in city centres tend to charge £8 for ventolin and £25 for EHC, even though one multiple petitioned for VAT reduction on condoms and EHC.

With regard to split packs of insulin, we have enogh trouble with pts thinking they are getting pts returns with ordinary split packs and I did chronicle a pt who was convinced we had done this with insulin. (He had confused packs HE HAD OPENED HIMSELF with sealed packs delivered that day).

Different in the old days when all we had were single 10ml vials.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the 3rd View Post
          Dont know how legal this is but as insulin is a P medicine anyway maybe its not such a problem
          Insulin is POM isn't it, changed few years back due to body builders abusing it??

Comment

Its such a good job I joined this forum. Newly returned from the US, still catching up with changes!
            MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
              I was giving ventolin inhalers for £2.50 last saturday, minimum private fee for pharmacy was £5, but I didn't think that was fair, but thinking back now I should have charged the minimum fee (£5), as people who get it on Rx and pay might get other ideas next time.
              If I had to take Ventolin and paid Rx charges I'd be tracking down where you're working and keeping my script in my pocket!
              Emergency supply Ventolin is £7.10 wherever I work, and we'll refund that if they're exempt if they bring a Rx in with their receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the 3rd View Post
                . Maybe the PSNC should look into a mechanism by which ES is an intervention that may be logged so that the cost of the medicine and the professional service of making the ES is remunerated.
                This happens in Scotland and could easily happen here. Basically, with certain information you dispense it as a repeat and get paid accordingly. I don't know the details but I do know that practising in Scotland seems to be more satisfying than practising here.
                http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                  This happens in Scotland and could easily happen here. Basically, with certain information you dispense it as a repeat and get paid accordingly. I don't know the details but I do know that practising in Scotland seems to be more satisfying than practising here.
                  CPUS form I believe.
                  Perhaps a Scottish form member can add detail?
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Couple of months ago I was on holiday and my Salbutamol inhaler died on me. I'd taken two away, knowing one was running low, and the "spare" must have been faulty. Anyway I went into a pharmacy near where I was staying, explained the situation and the very helpful and pleasant pharmacist sold me one on ES and charged me £2.95. Ventolin, too!

I actually asked him if that was right; he'd spent several minutes with me, and it really didn't seem enough.

Branch of a small local group, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                      But colder, which counts for a lot, surely
                      ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                        I actually asked him if that was right; he'd spent several minutes with me, and it really didn't seem enough.
                        I tend to vary prices depending on the patient. Someone who asks politely is likely to be charged less than someone who demands vociferously.

Jeff

Comment

I tend to vary prices depending on the patient. Someone who asks politely is likely to be charged less than someone who demands vociferously
                          When it comes to people in genuine need of "medical help" I do have a soft spot for them, especially if they appear to be of a nice personality, thus my inclination not to rip patients off, (ventolin only costs ~£1.50). Some people think the best way to get results is to be "nasty", i'm quite harsh with people like that, people need to know they can't demand anything off me, it is my perogative if I want to supply or not supply.
                          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Working...
                          X