Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterinary RX charges

Gripe of the day:

What a rip off! How can they justify charging to write a prescription when they already get a consultation fee? Did they not realise that it would be us, the poor pharmacists, who have to deal with abuse when we have to refuse to sell human OTC medicines because it is against the law but they wont pay Rx charges at the vets? It stinks of the sour grapes that vets have had towards us since they brought in the new regulations. Do they not realise that for every pet owner that comes in with a prescription, there will be another one referred back to the vet for treatment? Or are they so far up cows arses that they are unable to comprehend this simple fact?
    MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Re: Veterinary RX charges

some ones had a bad experience recently, the best thing to do with such patients is to keep it short and sweet, "Sorry we cant sell human medicines for animals, it's against the law".

Offer to order an equivalent animal product from the wholesalers, pharmacists are allowed o sell a vast range of animal meds without a Rx, or just with an oral Rx.
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

We can only really sell flea, wormers and certain supplements and additives. What we get asked for is antibiotic eye drops and cough meds, which we have no equivalent POM-VPS for.
      MUR

Comment

to be honest I dont know much about animal meds, I ross that bridge when I get to it, But consider putting a sign up saying to the tune of "Human medicines are not allowed by law to be sold for animals", and if soneone asks point to it, would also be helpful to include the act which prohibits this and add it to the sign along with the date. People are less prone to making a scene or fuss about things if there's a sign.

always point out it's for the animal's safety.
        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Good idea. I'm signed up for the vet diploma starts in January. But the way I'm going I'm gonna fall out with all the pet owners before I start....
          MUR

Comment

Perhaps you are all assuming that all pet owners are stupid. For example; How would you know if someone was buying lactulose for their constipated pooch if they didn't tell you?
            Make some one smile today.

Comment

You wouldnt. Which is exactly what happens. One pharmacy refuses so they go to another and say its for them. Same with the two packs of paracetamol etc.
              MUR

Comment

Exactly. At the end of the day it is a moral dilemma, let an animal suffer, (after all we are a form of animal), or just hint that if they just pick it up of the shelf ( it doesn't have to be a P line) we can't stop them buying it. I'm just playing the devil's advocate here so don't assume I'd be willing to break the law.

Comment

Exactly. At the end of the day it is a moral dilemma, let an animal suffer, (after all we are a form of animal), or just hint that if they just pick it up of the shelf ( it doesn't have to be a P line) we can't stop them buying it.
                  Hinting or any other type of communication would mean you're actually selling it for the animal, just less blatantly.

We can stop people buying something, what gives the impression we can't? Any medicine sold in a pharmacy is under the supervision (even if indirectly) of the pharmacist, the pharmacist can refuse the sale, as long as s/he can justify thir decision e.g. inappropriate use such as in animals.

Remember the age old phrase "first do no harm", you can't guarantee the animal will be cured because the medicine doesnt have a license to be used in animals, and also because of this you can't guarantee the animals safety.

but lets just say that you did sell paracetamol and cough meds out of their licenses for animals, next thing you know people will be trying to buy allsorts for their animals and expecting you to give advice on it's use. Where do you stop, it's extra work for you, and for little gain, and if anything goes wrong and it happens to be with a grumpy customer and they complain.... we'll it's going to be alot of hassel to say the least.

You can go out of your ay to help people, but when something goes wrong some of them will come and "bite the hand that fed them"

Comment

Like I said I was just playing the Devil's advocate. I couldn't do it but can you take a sale back when some one has paid for it? Say they bought selsun shampoo and you offered them advise on how to use it and the customer then said "It's not for me it's for the dog". I like to cover every scenario, and I like being awkward.

Comment

Working...
                    X