No announcement yet.

Prioritising Workload - Your Strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prioritising Workload - Your Strategy?

Hey guys and gals

What is your strategy for prioritising workload?

A doctor is calling you to find about a new drug on the market…. the delivery person/ porter is waiting for you to hand over patients meds….a patient/customer standing nearby will miss her train if you don’t hurry up with her meds….the new technician is unsure how to use the new system….you have not had your lunch yet (stomach is making noises)….What to do?

I thought this would be useful to share our experiences and for those going to interviews, as they often ask these types of questions.

Any suggestions…..please??
    Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Re: Prioritising Workload - Your Strategy?

my head started hurting just by reading that...being a pre-reg, im stress free! (just thought id rub it in) :P

Comment

Go have lunch first. Can't be expected to work efficently on an empty stomach.

Comment

1.a patient/customer standing nearby will miss her train if you don’t hurry up with her meds
        2. the delivery person/ porter is waiting for you to hand over patients meds….….
        3.you have not had your lunch yet (stomach is making noises)….
        4. the new technician is unsure how to use the new system
        5. A doctor is calling you to find about a new drug on the market

that's my order, but I normally have my lunch on the go, so i probably would be teaching the tech about the system or finding out about the new drug while i'm eating.
        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
          1.a patient/customer standing nearby will miss her train if you don’t hurry up with her meds
          2. the delivery person/ porter is waiting for you to hand over patients meds….….
          3.you have not had your lunch yet (stomach is making noises)….
          4. the new technician is unsure how to use the new system
          5. A doctor is calling you to find about a new drug on the market.
          Soloman, I'm just pinching your summary points not commenting on your order!

1) Probably my #1 as well..... but it'll take as long as it takes, regardless of train times.

2) Presumably staff. They get to wait I'm afraid.

3) If you have a specific lunch hour, then take it when it's due. If not, and you're worried about it, you need to change your working conditions. Personally, I can work through happily, but I do like a proper lunch hour with the shop shut.

4) Tech is going to be put on duties they do understand until there's time to train them. Or maybe given the SOPs/instruction manual and sent off to the staff room (aka consultation room) to learn out of the way.

5) Get tech to take dr's number. Maybe ring back later, maybe get tech from #4 to look up manufacturer's med info number and ring the Dr back.

The secret to a good day is to prioritise, do ONE thing at a time, finish each thing before starting the next (especially when dispensing) and be prepared to reconsider your prioritory list with each new thing happening.
          Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Originally posted by Defblade View Post

The secret to a good day is to prioritise, do ONE thing at a time, finish each thing before starting the next (especially when dispensing) and be prepared to reconsider your prioritory list with each new thing happening.
            Must be overworked too.
            Read the title of this posting as "Polishing Woodwork".
            Time to switch off the PC and have a beer.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Do whatever reduces bottlenecks in the system first.

1. Doc - easy reply - delegate it to a tech - It's always the same with new drugs - "there's not enough evidence yet to recommend it over established drugs. "
              2. Porter/delivery Person - loads of others waiting the his stuff to be done. Couild lead to loads of people missing trains
              3. Patient who might miss train - tough luck.
              4. Tech and system training - hey it's new I can't work it either - so we can learn when we're not as busy
              5. Lunch - isn't there reserved time off for a lunch break - it's your own fault for not having breakfast ;-)

Jeff

Comment

I thought with new drugs its which one has the prettiest rep?
                MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

Originally posted by pharmanaut View Post
                  must be over the limit too.
                  Read the title of this posting as "polishing woodwork".
                  Time to switch off the pc and have another beer.
                  efa
                  Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Working...
                  X