Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asda contractual hours - how many a week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asda contractual hours - how many a week?

Toying with the idea of moving back to permanent employment , I was looking at some job ad's today.

Does anyone know how many hours you do a week as a part-time pharmacist at Asda?

Also how many evening/weekends would you have to work?

Any insights are appreciated

Re: Asda contractual hours - how many a week?

entirely dependent on the store and its requirements - most have a 100 hour exemption so you're looking at hours from 7am to 11pm normally - with adjustments for the sunday trading laws as well. You'll be expected to work one sunday in three (and paid extra for it too). Your shift pattern would be worked out depending on the needs of yourself and the other pharmacists there so you could end up with pretty much anything however the norm would be a couple of days a week either on an early start or a late finish and one sunday in three. They don't normally expect you to work more than a 10 hour shift but sometimes emergencies can crop up and you end up starting earlier / finishing later if a locum can't be found (however you can get the time back in lieu).
    In an ideal world you could cover the full 100 hours with two full timers on 40 hours and one part timer on 20 - but it rarely works out like this in practice. In any case asda likes its pharmacists to have overlap time of around 8 hours per week to let you do cpd etc (although this also happens rather rarely).
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

So what are Asda like to work for??
      I have never worked in the supermarket environment. I presume pharmacist would have to manage within the dispensary boundaries, but all health and safety and general type management would be covered by the Store management team??

Comment

That's the theory..but in my experience it doesn't usually work that way. In Safeway stores in Scotland a few years ago, the store manager (technically a grocer) appeared to think that a cheap pinstripe suit and an M&S shirt and tie combo-pack made him God-on-earth. Tread carefully.

Fleeg.
        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Just be careful on this one--if you get -- say -- a 20 hours contract but end up doing overtime every week up to 25-30 hours, your holiday/pension/sick entitlements will still only be for the contract hours...

Comment

Remember Asda is owned by Walmart. Look on the US site 'thepharmacyalliance' for local experience.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              Remember Asda is owned by Walmart. Look on the US site 'thepharmacyalliance' for local experience.
              johnep
              How soon we forget that A**a were the main reason for the loss of retail price maintenance on medicines?
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
              X