Unsigned Prescriptions!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsigned Prescriptions!!!

Usually for POM's if it is a repeat prescription and we've dispensed it before for that patient I dispense and get it signed later that day (not legal and ideal I know but saves patient having to return to GP's for a signiture)

The question I've got today is an unsigned Rx for cetirizine (P med) does it need signing at all?

I know its a daft question but its bending me head!! Ive thought for ages about this and I need an answer.

Because its a P med is a signiture a legal requirement or if I sent it for payment to the PPA would it still get reimbursed with out a signiture?

Or is the signiture a requirement for it to be allowed to be given on the NHS

Any thoughts?

Re: Unsigned Prescriptions!!!

If it's on a script, it'll need signing (at some point).

Are you sure it's for an indication licenced for P sale?
    Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

The way I think of it is...if the patient has any problem with the medicine (although cetirizine is quite safe), then who takes the flak for it, the signing of the Rx means the GP accepts this blame(if any),

secondly, if the patient needs to pay the Rx can be discarded of and the cetrizine sold as a P, although if the quantity is large, it might be cheaper to pay the RX fee.

finally, if the patient is exempt, the signature on the Rx indicated the GP agrees to provide this med for the patient on the NHS, I dont think the people at the PPA check the signature box with any scrutiny at all, but better safe than sorry.

Because of the nature of the Rx I would have got it signed before dispensing, because the patient might just decide to pay for it as a P. That way you woudnt lose out either way, If your not the owner than I woudnt worry about it.
      We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
        If your not the owner than I woudnt worry about it.
        What exactly do you mean by that?
        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

what i mean is send it to the doctor, and hope to get it back, if you dont grieve about the £1.50 lost by the pharmacy owners.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

The way to get an unsigned presciption back from the doctors is to keep a photocopy of it and ask nicely. If you don't get it back any time soon present the photo copy and get them to issue a duplicte 'script. Never had any problems doing it this way.
            Make some one smile today.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymags View Post
              The way to get an unsigned presciption back from the doctors is to keep a photocopy of it and ask nicely. If you don't get it back any time soon present the photo copy and get them to issue a duplicte 'script. Never had any problems doing it this way.
              That's a good idea, I'm forever chasing up scripts that have been sent back to the surgeries for amendment which end up getting "lost". I also always have trouble with out of hours when they write scripts for erythromycin 1qds for seven days - 15 tablets! I phone and they say they will send out a replacement script, that was about 2 weeks ago now, still waiting....

Comment

They are waiting for you to send some one to the surgery to collect it. One receptionist prints it out, the doctor has to sign it then a diffferent receptionist files it with 'scripts waiting to be collected. I don't think they believe in post it notes saying pleases forward to such and such pharmacy, that would be too easy.
                Make some one smile today.

Comment

We do go to collect but by that point it has then gone walkies!

Comment

maybe it would be easier to dispense just 15 tabs and inform the patient their doctor wants them to take the tabs for 7 days but has only written for 4 days, so they should go back to get another Rx.

Comment

maybe it would be easier to dispense just 15 tabs and inform the patient their doctor wants them to take the tabs for 7 days but has only written for 4 days, so they should go back to get another Rx.
                      I've done that before but it doesn't work if the patient pays for their Rx as they have to pay for each supply.
                      Titch

Comment

in that case, ask the patient to take the Rx back themselves and get it ammended.

Comment

I was trying to be nice as the person had to pay but sometimes when it creates more work you don't need you do start to wonder why u bother!

Comment

Originally posted by PinkGlitter View Post
                            I also always have trouble with out of hours when they write scripts for erythromycin 1qds for seven days - 15 tablets! I phone and they say they will send out a replacement script, that was about 2 weeks ago now, still waiting....
                            Does the cost of 13 erythromycin (95p) cover the cost of photocopying, phone calls etc.
                            It would be wrong to suggest that it might be easier for all concerned if you where to just cross out the 15 write in 28 and initial the amendment.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              Does the cost of 13 erythromycin (95p) cover the cost of photocopying, phone calls etc.
                              It would be wrong to suggest that it might be easier for all concerned if you where to just cross out the 15 write in 28 and initial the amendment.

Jeff
                              I was wondering if you were allowed to do that if you put "PC" (prescriber contacted) in the endorsements. If not, can someone refresh my memory what that endorsement is used for? Thanx

Comment

Working...
                              X