Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requirements to Practice in UK from the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requirements to Practice in UK from the US?

Hello

I am trying to find out exactly what I need to do to be able to practice in the UK. I will graduate from a CA school with a US Doctor of Pharmacy degree (PharmD) and plan on completing a 2 year residency in some sort of specialty (Chemo/HIV/Pain management . . . haven't decided yet). If things go according to plan I will do one of my fourth year rotations in the UK.

I want to move to London after this and would be very appreciative if someone knows, or can tell me who to speak to, about making this transition. Does my degree transfer over? What sort of experiential training will I need? Exams? Licenses? More school?

And on a side note - any pharmacists that work in London and want to tell me what their day to day is like? Retail? Hospital? Other?

Thanks so much! Any input or thoughts will all be appreciated!

Re: Requirements to Practice in UK from the US?

If I can make sense of your query you would like to know if you can register with the RPSGB with your american qualifications, the answer is no. You're looking to 2 extra years (OSPAP and Internship) before sitting the society's exam...I can hear you swearing and that's normal. Man, the EU bullshit killed us all. I'm stuck in NZ because of that.

The info is there: http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/regpack.pdf

If you just want to do more studies, page 9 of the document above has the address of some pharmacy schools that you can get in touch with for more information.

PS: btw, going to the USA is impossible for the rest of us as well.

Comment

When are you thinking of doing this - our regulatory body is about to be put down and replaced by another.
      The new body might be entitled to make its own rules.

Depending on what you intend to do - I'm not even convinced that membership of the new regulatory body will be necessary.

Jeff

Comment

Pharout from Phoenix was iterested in coming to UK. What happened to him?

I have met just one person from USA in pharmacy. She was tech working for Lds whose husband was in USAF.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Shwampa View Post
          Man, the EU bullshit killed us all. I'm stuck in NZ because of that.
          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Hello everyone

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far! I appreciate it

I will not be graduating until 2011 . . . so I have plenty of time, I thought I should figure out how things work so I could get as many things in line and start making some connections now. I have the opportunity to do one of my 4th year rotations in London and fully intend to take advantage of it. I have to decide if I want to spend the time here and do residencies or spend the time in the UK on those requirements you've mentioned.

If I were to come over with my PharmD what sort of job/pay rate would I be allowed to hold? (I don't mind putting in the extra time, I just don't know if I can afford it after loans and such) . . . higher education in the US is such a vicious cycle (pay money to make it)

Regarding the new governing body - do you know when that might be happening? do you have any links for me to keep track of the progress?

A little off topic - what exactly is the education requirement in the UK to become a pharmacist? Is it a post grad degree? how many years?

Sorry, the more answers I get the more questions I seem to have.

Thanks so much! I'll look forward to any other replies

Comment

I don't know why you would want to move from the US to the UK to do Pharmacy. The pay is lower, especially considering the standard of living.
              I'm doing a degree here in the UK and I can tell you I'd move back to the US as soon as I can after finishing.

But I guess that's beside the point. The pharmacy degree here is an MPharm, master of pharmacy. It's 4 years undergraduate study + 1 year pre reg. All degrees in the UK are acctually a year shorter then most other countries because they have more extensive education during high school. A nursing degree is 3 years for instance.

It's different from the U.S. in that you don't have to do undergraduate requirements and then apply for the postgrad Pharmd.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh View Post
                I don't know why you would want to move from the US to the UK to do Pharmacy. The pay is lower, especially considering the standard of living.
                I'm doing a degree here in the UK and I can tell you I'd move back to the US as soon as I can after finishing.

But I guess that's beside the point. The pharmacy degree here is an MPharm, master of pharmacy. It's 4 years undergraduate study + 1 year pre reg. All degrees in the UK are acctually a year shorter then most other countries because they have more extensive education during high school. A nursing degree is 3 years for instance.

It's different from the U.S. in that you don't have to do undergraduate requirements and then apply for the postgrad Pharmd.
                Hi Pharaoh
                Can you tell me how far into your degree you are? I am in my last year of my current degree and hope to go into first year of the MPharm in september. But I am being told I have to pay non-EU fees due to it being my second degree. Can you tell me how you are funding your degree ie. Loan, bursaries, etc.

Cheers
                Paul

Comment

c'mon all americans are millionaires even those supposed to be poverty stricken live in mansions --according to hollywood.

Great surprise to me when found out majority of ordinary people live in trailer parks or 'manufactured homes' Google Safeway homes.
                  johnep

Comment

Working...
                  X