Acomplia warning!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acomplia warning!!

Why is it that I hear about latest drug concerns from Domonic Byrne from Radio 1's Newsbeat?

I heard it on the radio this morning and then have now just received a fax from on high officially letting us know.

Its mental, the childrens cough and cold issue was comunicated faster through BBC as well.

Re: Acomplia warning!!

Yeah I heard it on the BBC as well, although the news isn't actually quite surprising.
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

MA for Acomplia in europe suspended!!! prescribers advised to stop prescribing it!!!
      We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

was discussing this with my gp the other day.
        of the 3 pts he'd initiated on this one had become so depressed that, despite discontinuation, his partner had to control access to all meds etc and dole them out individually, the 2nd drove from midlands to beachy head where was fortunately found in time by passing vicar (truely!), and the 3rd -who had had depression in the distant past - found she was happier than ever before in her life.
        Anecdotal I know -and yes I did check he'd done the yellow card thang - but I found it v interesting
        The funkee pharmacist!

Comment

Originally posted by funkeeduck View Post
          was discussing this with my gp the other day.
          of the 3 pts he'd initiated on this one had become so depressed that, despite discontinuation, his partner had to control access to all meds etc and dole them out individually, the 2nd drove from midlands to beachy head where was fortunately found in time by passing vicar (truely!), and the 3rd -who had had depression in the distant past - found she was happier than ever before in her life.
          Anecdotal I know -and yes I did check he'd done the yellow card thang - but I found it v interesting

My doctor put me on Acomlia 3 weeks ago and it has helped me enourmously. I always had a drink when I was stressed over family, not alot but it was most nights. It has stopped the craving and even when I go out I did not want to drink. I have always said it's not the hunger that makes me eat but craving things. I've been happier than I've been in a long time. The only time I became depressed is when I read the newspaper the Acomplia was being withdrawn. I don't know what to do now! Any ideas? Oh and yes I've lost 6lbs

Comment

I don't know what to do now! Any ideas?
            xenical, reductil.......
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Solly, what the..........??!!
              ultra1984 seems to be a member of public/layperson/patient from their post, and obviously needs some help.
              Shouldn't we as pharmacist's offer some advice rather than just giving a couple of brand names?

ultra1984, hope I can help.

As Solly indicated, there are just two prescription medications left on the market in the UK that can help with weight loss.
              Xenical (drug name Orlistat), and Reductil (drug name Sibutramine).

Xenical helps to prevent dietary fat being absorbed, so if your diet is quite fatty this can be a good choice as it forces you to adopt a low fat diet (if you don't you may well end up with the runs. Badly). However you need will power to do this. If you lack will power you'll just not take your dose and enjoy your fry up without the unfortunate side effects.

Reductil helps by regulating chemicals involved with appetite and feeling full up, but can't be used in patients with heart problems, psychiatric problems and several other conditions. Patients also have to have their blood pressure and pulse measured every 2 weeks initially since the drug can sometimes cause increases in these.

Basically ultra1984, the best thing to do is pop back to see your GP and discuss it. It sounds like you're already making good progress, and losing weight at a steady and realistic pace, so it would be a real shame to waste that.
              I'm sure your GP/practice counsellor will also be able to help you to talk about your drinking/help you with coping strategies when you feel able to deal with it. Problems can occur with alcohol due to how you drink (i.e. to escape, stress relief), even if the amount you drink isn't that much.

Without knowing you and your full medical history it's only possible to give general advice, but GOOD LUCK .
              The funkee pharmacist!

Comment

ultra1984 seems to be a member of public/layperson/patient from their post, and obviously needs some help.
                Shouldn't we as pharmacist's offer some advice rather than just giving a couple of brand names?
                erm...it's called the "internet" and there's something called "google" which is a very good search engine, if the relevant person read my post, they would have already typed that into the search engine and find out what they wanted. and if they don't understand something they can ask here specifically. i'm not going to waste my time copying and pasting SPCs

Comment

Originally posted by ultra1984 View Post
                  My doctor put me on Acomlia 3 weeks ago and it has helped me enourmously. I always had a drink when I was stressed over family, not alot but it was most nights. It has stopped the craving and even when I go out I did not want to drink. I have always said it's not the hunger that makes me eat but craving things. I've been happier than I've been in a long time. The only time I became depressed is when I read the newspaper the Acomplia was being withdrawn. I don't know what to do now! Any ideas? Oh and yes I've lost 6lbs
                  Talk to your GP - mention the stress and ask if (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) CBT is available locally.
                  If it isn't then try Living Life To The Full for an on-line course of CBT.

Take care

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    Talk to your GP - mention the stress and ask if (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) CBT is available locally.
                    If it isn't then try Living Life To The Full for an on-line course of CBT.

Take care

Jeff
                    My understanding is that although there is a larger evidence base for CBT than other therapies, this is because CBT lends itself to the kind of reductionist research that makes papers easy to prepare, rather than to any intrinsic superiority of the approach.

Such evidence that is available which compare different therapies (CPT, Person-centred, psychodynamic, REBT, etc etc) all demonstrate that they are EQUALLY effective in client work, and recent pronouncements from NICE are coming around to accepting this, slowly (of course). Research in this country has been facilitated by many therapists adopting the CORE system of routine therapy evaluation, and pooling the reults for mutual benefit: :: CORE IMS :: Service & Support for Psychological Therapies & Counselling using CORE System

There is also some anecdotal evidence that a lot more people vote with their feet after a CBT assessment than after, say, a person-centred session, and don't make it to the results stages!

What is important is the quality of the relationship that the therapist builds up with you. If you don't "click" then look elsewhere, but be less concerned about the modality of therapy (CBT or whatever) than how well you can work with the therapist. Not chat, be friends, but WORK.

Online CBT, or CBT from books, isn't CBT at all, really: but many people do find it really useful, so its worth a try while you are waiting to see a real human being! And it might just be enough, who can tell?
                    ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by funkeeduck View Post

ultra1984, hope I can help.

As Solly indicated, there are just two prescription medications left on the market in the UK that can help with weight loss.
                      Xenical (drug name Orlistat), and Reductil (drug name Sibutramine).

Xenical helps to prevent dietary fat being absorbed, so if your diet is quite fatty this can be a good choice as it forces you to adopt a low fat diet (if you don't you may well end up with the runs. Badly). However you need will power to do this. If you lack will power you'll just not take your dose and enjoy your fry up without the unfortunate side effects.

Reductil helps by regulating chemicals involved with appetite and feeling full up, but can't be used in patients with heart problems, psychiatric problems and several other conditions. Patients also have to have their blood pressure and pulse measured every 2 weeks initially since the drug can sometimes cause increases in these.

Basically ultra1984, the best thing to do is pop back to see your GP and discuss it. It sounds like you're already making good progress, and losing weight at a steady and realistic pace, so it would be a real shame to waste that.
                      I'm sure your GP/practice counsellor will also be able to help you to talk about your drinking/help you with coping strategies when you feel able to deal with it. Problems can occur with alcohol due to how you drink (i.e. to escape, stress relief), even if the amount you drink isn't that much.

Without knowing you and your full medical history it's only possible to give general advice, but GOOD LUCK .
                      Thanks for your kind reply's. I did check to see if there was any rules to say I could not post on this site but could not see any. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

I received a letter from my Doctor telling me that he couldn't give me anymore prescriptions for Acomplia but never asked me to go in and see him or any advice whatsever!. I have been looking at buying Acomplia from the internet but not to sure about this! Thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by ultra1984 View Post
                        I have been looking at buying Acomplia from the internet but not to sure about this!
                        Please don't - there might be reputable internet pharmacies out there but I woul d rather not take the chance.

Comment

as acomplia has had an eu-wide withdrawal then an internet souce is highly likely to be from a less reputable supplier (ie fake or dodgy) - as the others have said, speak to your GP about things!
                          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

wondering how many millions Sanofi-Aventis lost by this hit! the product been introduced to the market for 2 years only.....
                            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Apparently Sanofi say that the decision to pull Acomplia off the market will not affect their profit forecast. Oh, and I saw a group of pigs flying the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X