MHRA recommending reporting of pharmacists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MHRA recommending reporting of pharmacists

Nice to know that our SOPs on dealing with one off dispensing errors at branch level are appreciated by the MHRA-NOT!

Frequently asked questions about the MHRA
    MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Re: MHRA recommending reporting of pharmacists

Originally posted by Jen the 3rd View Post
    Nice to know that our SOPs on dealing with one off dispensing errors at branch level are appreciated by the MHRA-NOT!

Frequently asked questions about the MHRA
    I don't understand. The only relevant point on the page to this topic is that if you buy an expired drug from a pharmacy you should report it to the RPSGB. This is not too unfair, expired drugs can be nasty: think doxycycline.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Um I have some sulphafurazole from 1968, that i bet would still pass QC.
      What exactly does doxycycline degrade to?
      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        Um I have some sulphafurazole from 1968, that i bet would still pass QC.
        What exactly does doxycycline degrade to?
        johnep
        $

I can't remember now and I don't have a Martindale to check in but it was always one to watch out for because apparently it is pretty toxic, most drugs of course are okay, we often used to get shelf life extensions back home. There are just a few nasties out there paracetamol and doxycycline are the ones I recall. Apparently some especially solid BP meds are good up to 20 years post expiry. Since so much depends on storage conditions and there are few long term studies we just don't know but I agree with you 99% of expired drugs (especially tablets) would pass a pharmacoepial assay.

Many developed countries dump expired drugs or short dated drugs in developing countries where they are used without many ill effects as nothing else is available: although I think this is morally wrong and shows double standards.

But talking of expired medicines: would you buy expired or past its best by date food from a shop? (only students do that even tramps know that food past its expiry date is no good)
        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

You have completely and utterly missed the point. In virtually all cases, a pharmacist will give out an out-of-date medicine BY MISTAKE. If a customer draws their attention to it they will rectify the mistake and make sure their SOPs are reviewed to prevent a recurrence. Are you suggesting that if a pharmacist is unlucky enough to miss an expiry date or make any other dispensing error that, rather than take it back to the pharmacy and make a complaint to the pharmacist and try and sort it out at local level, the customer should go directly to the RPSGB? I really hope that none of you lot ever make a dispensing error! To debate the toxicity of metabolites is irrelevant, when you consider that any dispensing error is potentially dangerous. The RPSGB specifically advises pharmacists how to deal with dispensing errors and to prevent escalation of the problem. Do you not think that the MHRA should work with the advice of the RPSGB, not against it?
          MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

Working...
          X