Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy doctors anyone?!

hey guys,

this is probably a question more directed to hospital pharmacists. . . is it me, or are doctors (especially junior's) so very grumpy!

at first i put it down to it being early morning, or maybe just a bad day...but honestly, they never ever smile and keep conversations down to a minimal... is this just my unfortunate luck or has anyone else experienced the same?

Re: Grumpy doctors anyone?!

It's not just hospital doctors, some GP's have no manners either especially when talking to us humble dispensers. A please and thank you wouldn't go amiss.
    Make some one smile today.

Comment

perhaps they are sick of sick people

Comment

They are only jealous because we know so much more about drugs than they do

Comment

Possibly. However, perhaps it has something to do with how, despite demonstrating that they have improved the quality of patient care dramatically since their new contract came in and did what it was designed to do, they are frequently singled out as working less hard and earning too much money.

As the money is good but not fabulous and is diminishing whilst the working time directives would have necessitated them working fewer hours anyway, they perhaps feel that they are being unfairly scapegoated.

Add in that the health departments are developing a competency based approach to commissioning which provides opportunities for nurses and pharmacists (the latter of whom refuse to accept that the health service works in any way other than to their personal detriment) at the expense of doctors and it isn't really surprising that doctors feel threatened professionally, status wise and financially.

It is however no excuse for bad manners.
          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
            Possibly. However, perhaps it has something to do with how, despite demonstrating that they have improved the quality of patient care dramatically since their new contract came in and did what it was designed to do, they are frequently singled out as working less hard and earning too much money.

As the money is good but not fabulous and is diminishing whilst the working time directives would have necessitated them working fewer hours anyway, they perhaps feel that they are being unfairly scapegoated.

Add in that the health departments are developing a competency based approach to commissioning which provides opportunities for nurses and pharmacists (the latter of whom refuse to accept that the health service works in any way other than to their personal detriment) at the expense of doctors and it isn't really surprising that doctors feel threatened professionally, status wise and financially.

It is however no excuse for bad manners.
            The pay is not good in medicine
            3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
              The pay is not good in medicine
              Where did I say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                Where did I say that?
                well you said it isn't fabulous but for the long and extensive study surely it should be no?
                3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

I suppose it depends on how much "fabulous" means to you. Salaried GPs are on about £60k locally. GP principals in practices with list sizes of 1800 (on the high side) can earn well over £100k but that is falling and expected to fall for the next few years. It seems a lot but it isn't "fabulous" and certainly not worth the awful press they get.

Hospital doctors don't earn anything like as much until consultant status and then you need private work to boost the income to "fabulous" levels

On your point about length of study and earning levels. It is a complete irrelevance. The world doesn't owe you a living. You could do a degree in pharmacy and pre-reg then a PhD. How much more do you think a PhD would boost your salary in community or hospital pharmacy?

Architects study longer than doctors and those working for local authorities are poorly paid compared to doctors.

Lawyers are seen as big earners and those that are partners in the practice frequently aren't. However there are legal practices going bust at a high rate (set to increase).

Your qualification guarantees you a platform not a salary. If you want to make a fortune open a night club. What length of study would be required for that?

Comment

Do doctors really study long and hard for the money? I thought it was because they wanted to "heal the sick" so they can't be grumpy because they are fed up of seeing sick people all day. Most of the doctors I know have big flash cars (cars in the plural not just one) you only see on Top Gear.

Comment

Constructive contribution Jaymags. But be careful, your envy is showing.

"Most of the doctors I know have big flash cars (cars in the plural not just one) you only see on Top Gear"

Oh yeah.......? Harley street perhaps.

This, I can asure you, is not the norm.

Comment

I'm not envious I love watching Top Gear.

Comment

How would you be with a professional who probably only ever contacts you when you have done something wrong? You have to keep that in mind when you contact a doctor. When I was in hospital a junior doc told me that he get a sinking feeling and an anxiety attack when he sees the pharmacy number on his bleeper!" Poor lamb.
                          MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

Glad to hear im not the only one having to deal with the grumpies!

Its a real shame, if they were a tad more approachable then I think the whole working environment would improve, there is such a lack of communication at the moment... Oh well... if you are a grumpy doc reading through our pharmacy forums... CHEER UP!!!
                            Last edited by cheapshots; 19, October 2008, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the 3rd View Post
                              How would you be with a professional who probably only ever contacts you when you have done something wrong? You have to keep that in mind when you contact a doctor. When I was in hospital a junior doc told me that he get a sinking feeling and an anxiety attack when he sees the pharmacy number on his bleeper!" Poor lamb.
                              A community pharmacy works slightly different to a hospital pharmacy and the relationship between a GP surgery and pharmacy is different too. We are in contact every day with one of our local GP's and not just on the phone. We have built a good relationship with the receptionists as well. It does come to something when a doctor phones the pharmacist for advice on what to prescribe though. I find it quite scary. They shouldn't get grumpy just because they are the ones who have made the mistake.
                              Don't get me wrong without the doctors prescriptions I probably wouldn't have a job so I appreciate the job they do but I can't be doing with grumpy, life is too short.
                              Have a moan by all means but no one loves a sour face.

Comment

Working...
                              X