Flu jabs...from GP or Pharmacist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu jabs...from GP or Pharmacist?

I realise that many pharmacies are now providing flu vaccination and many of these are commisioned services from the local PCT but I Saw an advert on TV today, I will skip to the punch line..."Get a flu jab from your GP", this was an NHS advert for the vaccination service and yet again pharmacy was left out.

Opinions?
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Re: Flu jabs...from GP or Pharmacist?

Was it a NHS advert? I haven't seen it so can't comment apart from:-

a) GPs are targeted on flu jabs so it is reasonable to encourage people to attend their surgery now. I got mine last week!

b) As not every pharmacy offers them and pharmacy vaccinations are not available universally it would be wrong to raise public expectations when they may not be able at every pharmacy that is willing to offer them.

Good question Solly!
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

it was a NHS advert, also I've read something about this in the PJ i think about some profesional body showing their dissapointment or was it the C&D?!!
      We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

I think that when all pharmacies are able to offer this service and not just a few I will get upset. Until then indignation could not be turned into action and we would look foolish.

Comment

hmm..i was thinking along the same lines..but since the NHS is making all these changes it would have been good for the advert to mention that maybe they could get the jab at their local pharmacy...in which case the carers of pharmacies who arent offering this services might think otherwise, and this would facilitate the whole process.

I did a locum at a pharmacy offering the jab once, but didnt know until a patient walked in asking for one, I had to refuse saying we didnt do them on saturdays, but it was because I wasnt accredited and to be honest the only thing i've injected in my life is cannabis, so I would not have known where to start even if I gave it a try.

Comment

Where did you inject the cannabis?

(I am not being judgmental, I am intrigued!)

Comment

just under the skin, on my arm, I think they call it intra-dermal injections, dont worry it was at an RPSGB accredited university!!

Comment

Have had several calls re flu jabs SD are offering. They are having a nurse come in for a day.
                johnep

Comment

Tesco are offering them too - pharmacists had training as not cost-effective to get a nurse in.

Problem in general is that the deal GPs have with PCTs over flu jabs makes it too lucrative for them to give it up and PCTs are not prepared to rock the boat that much and commission pharmacies to give flu jabs too.

If PCT not willing to engage then process is difficult as need a PGD to administer as flu vaccine is a POM - I presume SD and Tesco have PGDs with DH directly.
                  Titch

Comment

I too have seen the NHS advert and was slightly miffed that Pharmacy was not mentioned... as usualy. However, i think a lot of people will identify their 'local pharmacy' as the independent closest to them and not necessarily the large multiples (maybe except boots). And as said above, not many independent pharmacies offer this service yet, which is a shame, and patients may well get annoyed and accuse the advert of giving them false information.

I have seen quite a few Tesco and SD pharmacies offering the flu jab to patients. In an ideal world Tesco and SD would be running their own advertising campaigns for this service. However, i am a dreamer as usual.
                    I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

knowing tesco's, very soon they will be running their own campaigns regarding such things, just let them get enough of their pharmacies onto the appropriate programs ans watch 'em go, but not sure i'll agree with that because of the way tescos advertise stuff, e.g. Have an MUR and get 5p off your petrol, then people would be demanding MURs rather thsn requesting them.

Comment

But pharmacy doesn't have to go the NHS route on this one. There are loads of working people who will pay for one privately so they don't have to take time off work. Flu shots are a purchasable commotidy for many people,given the chance. (Just like baked beans)

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
                          But pharmacy doesn't have to go the NHS route on this one. There are loads of working people who will pay for one privately so they don't have to take time off work. Flu shots are a purchasable commotidy for many people,given the chance. (Just like baked beans)
                          The thing we're getting at though is that the NHS and the DoH are meant to be promoting pharmacy as part of the front line of patient care. Even the recent white paper proposed pharmacies supply and administer vaccinations. Therefore it seemed fairly idiotic, for the most part, that pharmacy has not been involved in the Flu jab promotion somewhere.
                          I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Yesterday at a pharmacy where they have a flu jab day in November, had several enquiries. Also heard that some companies issuing vouchers to their staff which can be used to pay.
                            johnep

Comment

I'd like to offer Flu Jabs for people who aren't entitled on NHS and those who can't get to their GP during normal hours, in my independent pharmacy, but it's proving quite complicated! NPA say I must register with the Healthcare Commission, but HC can't understand why I would want to, (and it costs a hell of a lot).
                              I don't think Lloyds, SD and Asda are registered with the Healthcare Commission? And I can't find anyone who can show me a national PGD to administer it. All the PGDs locally are only for those included in the NHS criteria? Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X