• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Mail Article

Another article moaning about pharmacists

Why trusting your pharmacist could put your health at risk | Mail Online

Re: Daily Mail Article

As per usual, poorly researched and set out with an agenda to make us look bad. Never mind that the paracetamol products have the paracetamol guidelines written on them very clearly. Never mind that only a very small number of pharmacies were looked at. Never mind that the products selected in the second part could be bought from pretty much anywhere.

That isn't to say that the pharmacies / pharmacists involved shouldn't have known better but the whole thing smacks of someone with an axe to grind.

Looking at some of the comments posted on there by the general public, there are some phenomenally moronic individuals out there. Thankfully there are some very sensible folk too (not just the pharmacists who posted comments there)
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Very disheartening indeed!
      One can always hide, behind percentages etc, but at the end of the day......Pharmacys' reputation has taken another battering and there might be more to come and at whose expense.

How can we be trusted to provide extra services ?
      Is this the right time for remote supervision?
      Do counter staff need proper training ( classroom attendance and exams)
      Do we need to change the pharmacy model to dispensers/techs in the back and pharmacist and counter assistant in front . pharmacist in front of shop (sectioned off) checking scripts for appropriateness and giving proper professional advice at the same time.

Do we need a Pharmacists' only Medicine list?

As Pharmacists we must stop hiding behind the dispensing bench..get support staff to dispense...and do what we've been trained to do ...provide advice on medicines..

Pharmacists can afford to delegate the dispensing /checking role but not the clinical appropriateness role (OTC and POM )----pharmacists,the PharmSoc and pharmacy bodies/ chains etc should sit together and work out a strategy that would benefit patients and ensure their safety;because SOPs and NVQs do not seem to be the absolute answer.

Another bad day at the office ...
      Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Depressing reading, but hey, that's why I don't read the Mail!

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
        ..get support staff to dispense....
        So the poorly trained ACT's get to give out the strong stuff while we're checking up on the poorly trained counter staff who can't even tell people not to take double paracetamol? Fun fun fun. I *love* my job.

Comment

the place I was locuming at today a pharmacy chain beggining with "Lloyds" and ending with "pharmacy" got a phone call today and were warned there might be more mystery shoppers going around, and were instructed that the two things asked about were x and y and if the counter assistant isnt trained in these she should get someone who is.

Also was disappointed at their attitude, which I will assume was a one off, what happened throughout the day was if they were stuck they'd rather ask each other and give the customer/patient wrong advice rather than ask me, even though I was the pharmacist, this was from the moment I walked in, in the morning. I had to butt in a few times to clarify things or correct the advice. e.g. a lady came in for EHC, intsead of seating her in the consultation room for me to talk to, instead they asked me if they can give it out, which to be fair is atleast better than some other pharmacies i've worked at. but not sufficient.

Also regarding the three scenarios, i'm surprised anyone who presents with diarrhoe for more than a week can be given that advice, but make a note of the key words where the article mentions YOUNG counter assistants, with LITTLE life experience, the second scenario is reallt pathetic, the amount of times patients buy two paracetamol products is in their tens during one day, and it gets tiring telling customer after customer the same thing especially since most of them dont show any appreciation and on the contrary feel insulted to be given such advice. I follow the rule that unless both products dont make it clear that they contain paracetamol i.e. at the front of the pack, only then do I mention the paracetamol content, e.g. migraleve, or feminax with normal paracetamol or cold remedy.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Some hydrocortisone (0.5%) on the face for few days is not a big deal. When we know there're 7 classes of potency for topical corticosteroids and HC is the weakest of all. The only time I saw a thinned skin from using topical steroids it was in patients with psoriasis where throughout the years had to use strong CS.

For the paracetamol content of many products, we're so lucky to have only few variations in NZ. The problem is so huge in the USA that they need to force the drug companies to put a black box on the pack warning about the content of paracetamol.

Comment

Often have trouble with Drs suggesting to pts to buy 0.5% HC. Not allowed OTC.
              johnep

Comment

Why on earth don't we get a similar pay to gp's if we are having to take over from what they are doing.
                3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
                  Why on earth don't we get a similar pay to gp's if we are having to take over from what they are doing.
                  Steady on- who said p'cists are going to take over from GPs, frankly I don't think we can . We do not have the diagnostic skills and neither do we have properly trained staff!
                  a Docs a docs and a pharmacist is a pharmacist
                  Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

The Daily Mail are a bunch of Nazi's anyway so worst case is no Nazi readers come and ask us for advice. . . fine with me!!

Comment

Indeed, The Daily Mail is a lower form of tabloid and yet again the american journalism industry's motto of british journalism comes to light: "We have both the best... and the worst newspapers in the world." We'll be seeing something very similar in The Sun soon no doubt and they will claim 'today the sun can reveal' that pharmacies are unsafe and very crap - DON'T GO THERE, FOLLOWED BY SUBJECTIVE MOANING.

The test was a farce and it makes me wonder whether the visitors actually presented their cases as a real patient would as we know some people are more than happy to tell you every minor detail of what is going on with them. However, it does also worry me if some of these results are to be believed as i feel its really bad for a single pharmacy to be giving out the replies that were reported. I have not qualified yet and i know about taking two paracetamol products and i know to refer someone who has had diarrhoea for a week, so i don't know why these people don't also.
                      I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pharm S View Post
                        The Daily Mail are a bunch of Nazi's anyway so worst case is no Nazi readers come and ask us for advice. . . fine with me!!
                        i'm not sure about the daily mail's readership, but to have such a group associated with the nazis is quite harsh.

to say the least, this "report" was a farce but I doubt if the readership would be able to see through this....

....also whats with this latest trend in pharmacy bashing, first the Which? and now the daily mail.
                        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

They should do one about GP's aswell. Only, unlike pharmacists, their roles arent new so there is nothing controversial to investigate.
                          MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

no body wants to know they cant trust their doctors!!

One of the things that I found stressed during my 2 weeks hospital placement and throughout my hospital visits in the MPharm course was the "no-blame" culture which was basicly a way of saying if the doctor messes up dont go telling that to the patient or anyone else.

Comment

....also whats with this latest trend in pharmacy bashing, first the Which? and now the daily mail.[/QUOTE]

maybe because pharmacy is not yet believed to be a profession. but technicians are seen as professionals by some p'cists
                              [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X