Changing roles after qualification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing roles after qualification

I just want to know what everyone's views are on the change of say being a community pharmacist and then actually ending up a hospital pharmacist/industrial pharmacist.

The reason I ask this is because:

(1).I have done placements in community and I don't really enjoy it (locuming is good though)
    (2). I quite like the idea of becoming a qp in industry but I can't even get a placement in it. At uni too no one ever talks about industry either (I don't get why??)
    (3). The pre-reg exam is mostly clinical, if the pre-reg happened in industry, would you obtain much clinical knowledge?

So my point is, if I end up doing pre-reg in hospital and then getting onto the register, can I still become an industrial pharmacist and how hard would it be?
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Changing roles after qualification

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
    I just want to know what everyone's views are on the change of say being a community pharmacist and then actually ending up a hospital pharmacist/industrial pharmacist.

The reason I ask this is because:

(1).I have done placements in community and I don't really enjoy it (locuming is good though)
    (2). I quite like the idea of becoming a qp in industry but I can't even get a placement in it. At uni too no one ever talks about industry either (I don't get why??)
    (3). The pre-reg exam is mostly clinical, if the pre-reg happened in industry, would you obtain much clinical knowledge?

So my point is, if I end up doing pre-reg in hospital and then getting onto the register, can I still become an industrial pharmacist and how hard would it be?
    There is another option open, and there aren't many pharmacists doing the sharp end jobs. Medical Informatics. CegedimRx have been advertising for a clinical safety tester for their software. Sounds like a good opportunity. Would go for it myself, but am too old now.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

But how easy is it in your opinion to convert from one form to another.
      3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
        But how easy is it in your opinion to convert from one form to another.
        Not quite as easy as changing the colour of your socks but somewhat easier than changing towns.
        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Paul2008's not too far off.

In my (almost) 50 years in practice, I spent the first 20 in community, running first one shop, then being CEO of a small group. All very "ordinary". Then I decided to change and became an LPC Secretary and locum. After I'd been doing that for a few months I saw a hospital job advertised and went to see about it. I was offered the chance of "doing 6 months Basic Grade and then we'll see". I turned it down, (which on reflection I think was a mistake, but of course the salary wasn't good) but did some hospital locums and five years later another hospital job came up, in Community Services, where a knowledge of community practices was required. I got it, and spent the rest of my working life there, ending up doing some prescribing advising, some care home inspection, some teaching other health & social services professionals and some ward pharmacy.
          For the first five years of my retirement I've been advising a group of care homes about medicine management.

So yes, if you are prepared to take the plunge every so often and go for it, you can do it. And you definitely don't have to be an academic high-flyer, either!

Carpe diem; seize the day!

Comment

Working...
          X