Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokers

As a kind of spin-off of the passive smoking thread, what is everyone's views on healthcare workers who are smokers, in particular pharmacists ?
    I know several pharmacists who smoke and I just don't get it . Surely these people should know about smoking and its harmful effects. NRT, varenicline, buproprion all get dished out every day but doesn't it go through their heads to quit ?
    It's all too confusing to me
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Re: Smokers

it's all down to personal choice. I find it a bit hypocritical to smoke and offer smoking cessation advice but if someone chooses to slowly smoke themselves to death then as long as they aren't inflicting themselves on anyone else i don't really see a big problem.

Unless i'm feeling in a militant mood! I'm a ex-smoker (given up 8 years ago now!) who quit using willpower alone.

“It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Good on you I can understand the personal choice angle, but right from secondary school, through college and university, pharmacy students are bombarded by info about smoking, they're taught clinical skills regarding smoking cessation, etc,etc. A pharmacist who smokes is like an obese dietitian - it doesn't make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
        As a kind of spin-off of the passive smoking thread, what is everyone's views on healthcare workers who are smokers, in particular pharmacists ?
        Disgraceful - we should be shot at dawn.

I know several pharmacists who smoke
        myself included
        and I just don't get it . Surely these people should know about smoking and its harmful effects.
        Yup
        NRT, varenicline, buproprion all get dished out every day but doesn't it go through their heads to quit ?
        It might, but we are not at that stage of the addiction cycle to act upon those thoughts.

It's all too confusing to me
        Then let me ask you to think about the disadvantages of living longer.

Jeff

Comment

It's not just pharmacists who smoke, you find smokers acros many different sectors of healthcare including doctors and nurses.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

At the hospital where i did my pre-reg, the consultant oncologist could be often seen walking outside the hospital with a pipe!

I myself smoked and have now been quit for nearly 12 months. I used willpower alone. As Jeff stated above unless you are in the right frame of mind/ correct stage of quit cycle, no amount of pictures of lung tumours etc will make you quit. You have to be ready in yourself to do it, to be honest i found it quite easy!

Now........ just have to wean myself off the methadone(...that was a joke)

Comment

An addiction is an addiction and all the arsenal for help out there won't just do it without a great deal of will..Oh dopamine..dopamine..we love you.

btw I've never smoked all my life.

Comment

My pre-reg tutor liked to sit in a deckchair in the dispensary and smoke his pipe almost constantly. He died of lung cancer 7 months into my placement, and the company had to draft in a replacement tutor. True story.
                Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

See this is what I don't get. Everyone talks about the addiction side and that willpower is important but there is also something called common sense. How can you give advice on healthy living when you are addicted to nicotine ?
                  Pharmacists should practise what they preach

Comment

or we could face the truth and accept people are hypocrites!
                    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

I know several pharmacists who smoke and I just don't get it . Surely these people should know about smoking and its harmful effects.
                      1) Intelligence does not equal cleverness/common sense.

2) Many people will have started long before they learnt medicine.

3) Maybe this could give you an insight into addiction and just how difficult it can be to overcome, also human nature and the ideas "it'll never happen to me" and "it'll never happen if I just don't think about it".
                      Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

How can you give advice on healthy living when you are addicted to nicotine ?
                        I can tell people what the current advice is, I can also relate to their reasons for not taking it.

Pharmacists should practise what they preach
                        I don't preach. I inform.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                          or we could face the truth and accept people are hypocrites!
                          Or human?
                          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                            Or human?
                            isnt that the same thing :P

Comment

Of course not! Human does not mean hypocritical. It means a whole lot more.

Saying someone is a hypocrite shows an adversarial position taken by a judgmental individual. Particularly when applied to a group of people eg smokers.

Saying someone is human is a more accepting stance taken with compassion, especially when applied to a group of people eg smokers.

Are type 2 diabetics who have the odd cream cake or cheese pastie hypocrites?

Do you do any direct to patient services Solly? Smoking cessation and the like? You will be required to during the course of your career. I would respectfully suggest that issues are very seldom "black and white" and being a professional requires the wisdom to negotiate a path through each individual's personal maze.
                              http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Working...
                              X