Asking Questions – is it a bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking Questions – is it a bad thing?

As a student, pre-reg or as a new worker in general…..

Asking current staff questions….is it a bad thing? How will anyone learn, if we don’t ask questions.

Some people forget, that they once were ‘learning’ or were ‘new’

It’s better to ask questions, rather than to be quiet and make a mess later on.

But why do ppl get irritated? If its personal questions, then yes I too would get irritated, but if its ‘work-related’ and important for your job…..then you have to ask questions…..

Any views?????
    Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Re: Asking Questions – is it a bad thing?

I prefer my pre-reg to ask questions. It gives me a chance to thinks out why I do things the way I do. It's too easy to fall into routines and not challenge yourself. It also helps me identify areas that I might be lacking in my plan for the pre-reg year. If nobody asked questions we would all be still wearing bear skins and going around carrying clubs.

Comment

questions are always good. The one thing that winds me up is repeated questions from the same person - this shows that they aren't learning anything by me giving them the answer. Then i tend to see if I can structure the answer so that the person asking it can answer it for themselves as a learning exercise. But yes it does bloody wind me up when I've been asked for the umpteenth bloody time 'what drug is in adalat?'

“It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

It depends on the questions, the frequency of questions and the timing of the questions.

Endlessly repeated questions of the what would you like me to do now type tend to elicit a "Shut the F"@* up" response.

Relevant questions that I don't know the answer to are good, showing how to discover answers is much better than reeling them off.

Jeff

Comment

Asking the same question over and over again is annoying.

Asking questions to which the answer is "Look in BNF, Martindale, Drug Tarriff, MEP" over and over..... after the first 2 or 3, you might get the idea that I'd like you to have good look yourself before asking (I think you learn better when you find the answer yourself; also using these references is vital no matter your knowledge and experience - the more you do it, the easier it gets to find what and where you're looking for).
          Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

well you might get hated by many for asking questions which they dont know the answer to, because it makes them look bad.

If the tutor or whoever was trying to be helpful they wouldnt just say look in xyz, they would tell u its in x section y book next to z. Because sometimes the full info. isnt in one of the common sources so the student might think maybe they're not readin gthe right part etc...

Also the best way would be for the tutor to answer the question, but ask further questions to educate the "questioner" i.e. when asked about adalat, answer nifedipine, then go on to ask the student about it i.e. what class it is, what are it's common interactions etc.... next time you wont be asked the same again
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Hey!

I am a hospital pre-reg at the moment and yep, you guessed it full of questions. BUT I can assure you....

Personally speaking, I do not ask the same question twice, try to explore every avenue prior to asking and always wait for a good time.... Please believe me when I say I am as sick of asking questions as you being asked!

Its horrible being thrown in the deep end, having to ask about doing the simplest of tasks, but thats 'learning-on-the-job' for you, plus, for you qualified pharmacists its part of your job description to teach pre-reg's, so please be patient with us and remember what it was like when you started !

By the way, I am very glad you brought this topic up lazy nite

Comment

Do tutors get paid for taking on pre-reg students in community pharmacy?
                We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

depends on the company solly. some do, some don't. Lots do it for the satisfaction of getting someone through the exam. Some do it for the pair of extra hands they get in the dispensary for a year.
                  “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                    Yes
                    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                      I assume your tutor was paid handsomely to take you on.
                      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
                        I assume your tutor was paid handsomely to take you on.
                        that's a funny one fleg
                        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Ray.
                          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by cheapshots View Post
                            Its horrible being thrown in the deep end, having to ask about doing the simplest of tasks, but thats 'learning-on-the-job' for you, plus, for you qualified pharmacists its part of your job description to teach pre-reg's, so please be patient with us and remember what it was like when you started !
                            this is the point most of us are trying to get across cheap! We don't mind questions at all, and actually would rather someone ask a question than go on doing something wrongly. The main thing is that we dislike having to answer the same bloody question 60 times because someone is too dumb / bone-idle to learn from the previous time they were told the answer. When it gets to that stage then directed learning is often the way to go - turning the request into a learning exercise. Yes, some of us might never have done a pre-reg but there are quite a lot of us who did qualify relatively recently and we do remember what pre-reg was like (especially the 1st six weeks!). And try to remember if we're directing you to the location to find the answer you seek, it's so that in future, when you're on your qualified, on your own and the buck stops with you, you will know exactly how to go about finding out the answer you need!

Terry Pratchett

Comment

my tutor was the owner himself, so the most he got out of it was a brilliant staff member for a whole year for next to nothing, we'll be working together soon on projects related to enhanced services.

Comment

Working...
                              X