salary in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salary in Ireland

How much does a pharmacist and a locum make in Ireland? Is the salary the same as it's in England?

Thanks

Re: salary in Ireland

I worked there two years ago and a locum in Ireland was making as much as €400-€500 a day. It proved very lucrative, and as I qualified at the PSI offices in Ballsbridge I was amazed to see how many other British pharmacists were qualifying too. However, the job can be complicated with many different health schemes and varying levels of support. At that time when the exchange rate was €1.36/£1 the temptation was very high. I wouldn't have thought it's so tempting now!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmabob View Post
      At that time when the exchange rate was €1.36/£1 the temptation was very high. I wouldn't have thought it's so tempting now!
      Don't quite follow the logic here...don't forget you were paid in Euro.

€500 @ 1.36 = £368 (your quoted rate from two years ago)

€500 @ 1.21 = £413 (today's rate)

I find that a bit more tempting...don't you?..(Max regular hourly rate I've come across recently is €60 per hour for a Sunday)
      Last edited by Fleegle; 2, October 2008, 08:28 PM.
      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Why is it so well paid over in ireland, is their currency in euros? how much does a pharmacist make per annum?
        3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Hey Giggsy..

Your quote by Mary O'Rourke answers your first question. The currency of The Republic of Ireland is indeed Euro. €90 to €100K is within your reach, although I have had disputes within our forum in the past with people who believe otherwise.

Fleeg.
          Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
            Hey Giggsy..

Your quote by Mary O'Rourke answers your first question. The currency of The Republic of Ireland is indeed Euro. €90 to €100K is within your reach, although I have had disputes within our forum in the past with people who believe otherwise.

Fleeg.
            so how much is that in pounds fleegle? I never knew pharmacists had such demand in ireland.

Comment

£74 - £82K...do you own a calculator?
              Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Slightly confusing, but as I was on secondment I was being paid in Sterling

Comment

At the risk of re-igniting an old debate, Irish pharmacies are better remunerated than UK pharmacies. An attempt by the Irish government to reclaim purchase discounts, as happens in the UK was met with a strike by Irish Pharmacists along with a legal challenge.

The pharmacists won the first round, mainly because the Irish government handled the situation in a crass and bullying way and fair "dos'" to those that took the government on. However, ultimately I expect the government will prevail and Irish pharmacy income will drop a bit impacting on salaries.

Don't underestimate the impact of exchange rates either. The euro is very strong against the pound at the moment meaning that if you are paid in euros they buy more pounds than they did a couple of years ago. That is not a situation that can be relied on in perpetuity.

However the situation is currently advantageous for mobile pharmacists who if they like Guinness should decamp to Dublin immediately and get their noses in the trough!!!
                  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

As much as I love Dublin, if you want to know the real Ireland you may have to go further afield...My favourite place would be South West Cork, Dingle Bay. The Guinness tastes the best in Dublin in a little bar called Gibney's in Malahide. Great craic! Where's my Ryanair link gone......

Comment

I always believed in supporting local cos. In Cork I would drink Murphys.
                      johnep

Comment

Beamish Red please John! I can't take the Murphy's sure.

Comment

Due to the HSE cuts (8.5% cuts still in place) Going rate is 30-35 Euro an hour.
                          Mid-week locums are tough to come by as many companies are cutting back on staff costs also the numbers of Irish UK trained Pharmacists has increased a lot in the past few years.
                          Salaries for Pharmacists with no experience in the Irish system are dropping considerably, I've been reliably told that a starting salary of approx E40,000 is being accepted by many.
                          I've never heard of (nor have I ever paid) milage allowances to Locums.
                          Last edited by openmind; 3, October 2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by openmind View Post
                            Due to the HSE cuts (8.5% cuts still in place) Going rate is 30-35 Euro an hour.
                            Mid-week locums are tough to come by as many companies are cutting back on staff costs also the numbers of Irish UK trained Pharmacists has increased a lot in the past few years.
                            Salaries for Pharmacists with no experience in the Irish system are dropping considerably, I've been reliably told that a starting salary of approx E40,000 is being accepted by many.
                            I've never heard of (nor have I ever paid) milage allowances to Locums.
                            40k for a starting salary is great, I am just in shock that pharmacists are making 80k there

Comment

Not in retail it's not. I believe that one UK multiple is cajoling newly qualifieds away from locuming into employment with starting salaries around £40k (and all the while mentioning that it will not be long before they will not need to employ locums...I believe this is their ultimate aim)

Comment

Working...
                              X