Influenza vaccine help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influenza vaccine help!!

We're getting scripts for flu vaccines that specify surface antigen on the script.

Q1. Does anyone know what the differences are between surface antigen and split virion vaccines?

Q2. We can only get split virion inj from wholesaler at present (begrivac an Enzira) can they be interchanged with each other.

The scripts are specifying surface antigen could a split virion be given instead of then get script altered by GP?

Re: Influenza vaccine help!!

Influenza Vaccination

says there's no practical difference between the types of vaccine - split virion is a 'killed' virus vaccine, surface antigen is a dna plasmid incorporating the antigens of the virus for the immune system to recognise.

as far as i can tell there should be little difference between the two split virion types of vaccine - although one might contain thiomersal - not recommended for small children or expectant mothers (however the benefits of giving it far outweigh the risks of the thiomersal).

surface antigen might not be out yet (or you might be dealing with slightly dormant call centre staff / poor order list on your pmr system)

some brands of SA type include:
    agrippal
    imuvac
    influvac
    fluvirin
    mastaflu

and most of these can be got either prefilled or as a vial.
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have one general concern which crops up every year..are they freely available from wholesalers, and are they in plentiful supply?.

I'm tired of being unable to source them year after year..
      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

As far as I know general supplies of flu vacs are restricted until a certain date (don't ask me when - I don't know!!!)

This is to allow all NHS Trusts, PCTs, GP practices etc to source enough vaccines for their requirements.

After that arbitary date they are then allowed into the general supply chain.

This is what I have been informed for the last few years anyway by the major wholesalers.

The exception to this is where large companies have made an arrangement to vaccinate for payment by a patient/customer and they have negotiated directly with the vaccine manufacturer to supply the stocks they want.
        Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
          The exception to this is where large companies have made an arrangement to vaccinate for payment by a patient/customer and they have negotiated directly with the vaccine manufacturer to supply the stocks they want.

Yup, We're doing that! I really wanted to do the course so i can administer the injections for myself but the company prefer to send a nurse in to do it instead - so no jabbing grumpy patients in the arm for me yet

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the PCT to start offering it via pharmacies...
          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
            I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the PCT to start offering it via pharmacies...
            Will probably ony happen in areas where GP uptake is very poor or if made a national enhanced service.

I'm doing 2 flu days to help out with 2 GP surgeries I work in. Did 1 last year and really enjoyed it.
            Done in my own time and unpaid just to get the experience and keep my skills up to date.
            Titch

Comment

Working...
            X