Pre-reg Pharmacists 2008/2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-reg Pharmacists 2008/2009

I have started a group for this years pre-regs. It is an open group so feel free to join. Thanks.
    [B]PJS[/B]

Re: Pre-reg Pharmacists 2008/2009

Originally posted by sp419 View Post
    I have started a group for this years pre-regs. It is an open group so feel free to join. Thanks.
    Please explain the group thing
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Well I'm hoping we can exchange views on how we are finding the pre-reg this year. We can post stories, and any questions we have others may be able to help solve. We can also introduce ourselves and get to know one another. I started the group because there is no special thread for pre-regs. I know there is student chat but I thought it would be good idea to have a group for us pre-regs.
      [B]PJS[/B]

Comment

I've just posted a message in the group. You can find the group by clicking on quick links and then social groups. Thanks.
        [B]PJS[/B]

Comment

I've just posted a message in the group. You can find the group by clicking on quick links and then social groups. Thanks.
          WOW - someone who understands how the board works and is using it.

Well done - I'm impressed.

Jeff

Comment

I think this is a great idea as the pre-reg year can be awful - as it was for my daughter when she was in an independent. She managed a move to hospital after an almighty struggle and 3 months of thinking she'd done a four year degree for nothing - all that debt - then prevented from getting a job - was how it seemed at the time. She sat the exam in London last Friday after re-doing the 13 to 26 weeks stage again which was a condition of moving, which meant she couldn't sit the exam in June - but that doesn't matter. Hope she passes it now! Results out 16th October, I think. Her tutor in the independent told her she was useless and the employer told her she was the worst student they had ever had - not exactly a confidence boost. At the 13 week review she was given a 3, next to the last grade, at the 26 a 4, the worst. She moved. At the second 26wk review with a new tutor, a 2, "satisfactory". At the 39 week review with this tutor, in a new set up, a 1 - "excellent", the best grade. She has also been given a job, provided she passes, as a Band 6. My point is - there is hope - there are enlightened, fair minded people - there are ways through - but the system is dreadfully hit and miss - and a miss can be devastating. I turned to this forum in despair - my own ignorance of the system, our powerlessness, our incredulity that this was being allowed to happen - and was given the impetus to fight the consequences of the independent's damning - and wrong - opinion of my daughter's capabilities. She heard other stories in the hospital of equally great injustices - one of the Band 8 pharmacists there had to re-do her whole year for similar reasons. But why are some pre-reg tutors like this? What is their problem?
            Sadly. she is still unsure about the profession. She will see how things go, but the damage done has left a very nasty taste.

Comment

Do the RPSGB give us a copy of the drug tariff like they gave us an MEP or do we have to buy our own?
              [B]PJS[/B]

Comment

No they don't. But if you walk into any community pharmacy and ask them if they have one....i'm sure they won't mind. If you're already doing your pre-reg in community, even better. If you're in hospital...you will go into community for 2-4 weeks, so you can ask for one then. In the meantime you can use an old one, just to get used to looking things up.

For the exam you need the right version, so check what the RPSGB website says. There is an online Drug T too....
                Lazy Lady...
                [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Thanks for the info. I hope there is not too many questions on the drug tariff in the exam. Some of my friends are struggling to understand how to look certain products up.
                  [B]PJS[/B]

Comment

Thanks for the info. I hope there is not too many questions on the drug tariff in the exam. Some of my friends are struggling to understand how to look certain products up.
                    You will get atleast around 5 (it could be less or more)....but have a look at previous papers.

They will often ask about 'How many charges' etc

Flag the important parts....some don't bother, but I found it useful
                    Lazy Lady...
                    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

In my exam the 'how many charges' was in the closed book so you just had to know it! There were a few charge questions actually.

I can't remember what was on the open book with regards to the drug tariff - it's a big blur in my memory!

Comment

Hi Does anyone know of any good books on how to do calculations without a calculator and that shows each step on how to solve different types of calculations as if you were doing them in your head. I have a big problem with long division and multiplication. I have joined Roy Sinclairs yahoo group and there is a good calculations workbook there. I have the Rees workbook aswell but I'm looking for some good calculations tips just like he showed me at my study day. Thanks in advance.
                        [B]PJS[/B]

Comment

If you struggle with regular maths try The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics.

Its probably very different from any system you have ever seen before but fairly quick and easy to learn. Avaialable from Amazon. I know its not for everyone and I do not use the full method mostly just the checking steps.

Best of luck

Paul
                          Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                          (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Hey, I just stumbled upon this thread…. really good idea! I’m a pre-reg at a London hospital

Okay, so I have a bit of a problem…. In defiance to this whole ‘collecting evidence’ palaver from the RPSGB I have yet to complete a single record of evidence! I have even emailed them my views…unsurprisingly I have yet to receive a reply.

I have deep reservations about the RPSGB. Please don’t mistake me for being lazy, which I assure you I am not, but ever wonder why the RPSGB want to bog us down with endless paperwork? or what benefit we stand to gain from doing all this? Just an idea, but maybe its so that they can justify their existence? Are they really needed?

Surely, there is a verbal feedback system in place at any workplace, whereby the seniors get fed information about you. So why waste time with endless nonsensical questions, chasing people for their signature and just being a damn right pain in the a**?

How does everyone else feel about this? Any one else want to ‘protest’ at this great big waste of time? Or perhaps you think its useful????

P.S

After feeling guilty for not doing any records of evidences, I started reading a few of the performance standards, naturally I was fuming and became defiant again!… I quote:

“Performance Standard B1.1: Communicate effectively in English”

Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I hated my pre-reg, its a combination of having to start at the bottom, being resented and judged by the other staff and being neither a student nor a qualified. Its a bit like going through professional puberty, along with the mood swings!
                              MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

Working...
                              X