Free prescriptions for cancer patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free prescriptions for cancer patients

The news is, for those that don't know yet, from April next year, cancer patients will no longer have to pay prescription charges and thus will join the list of people medically exempt from paying.

Great news for those concerned, but how about ending prescription charges full stop ?? I know the vast majority of people don't pay but the system would be much easier if no-one paid at all.
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Re: Free prescriptions for cancer patients

Great idea, but unfortunately,

Gordon Brown AKA James Gordon Brown. Born: 20-Feb-1951 Birthplace: Glasgow, Scotland. Gender: Male Religion: Presbyterian ,

may not agree, given the current financial climate...(note his name is actually "James Brown"..move on up!).
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

His real name is C**KHEAD McT*SSPOT

How to ruin a country in less than 18 months!!! He needs to go and have a word with himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pharm S View Post
        His real name is C**KHEAD McT*SSPOT

How to ruin a country in less than 18 months!!! He needs to go and have a word with himself!
        The trouble is there are new voters coming through who don't remember how bad things were, especially for the NHS, before 1997 when Labour won.

The country was run solely in the interests of the fortunate and the greedy. And if Cameron wins next time we'll be back to that.
        Labour has two things wrong, but to be fair they are biggies.
        One is invade Iraq.
        The other is not be Labour enough!

Comment

Well for those who hate labour who else have you got going for you ?

The Tories ?
          Don't make me say Lib Dems (there i've gone and said it)

Rather than have a political debate, I was trying to steer this thread towards a debate over prescription charges

Comment

I think it is quite unfair that Englands charges just keep going up whilst Wales have scrapped them and Scotland are in the process of scrapping them. Also that certain medical groups are exempt (e.g. those with epilepsy, diabetes, hypothroidism) whilst other equally chronic diseases requiring long term treatment (e.g. hypertension, asthma, COPD) are not.
            Either we should get rid of them altogether or introduce a much reduced fee that everyone pays

Comment

Scrapping charges for cancer pts is fairly cheap for Govnmt while getting good emotive appeal. how many tamoxifen/arimidex do you give out on charged forms, or finasteride ?
              johnep

Comment

To quote an article in today's Times,

"The step will be a prelude to phasing out the £7.10 prescription fee for all patients with long-term medical conditions, the Prime Minister said in his conference speech.

The end of cancer prescription charges will cost an estimated £20 million, rising to £300 million a year once other conditions are covered. It will be paid for by changes in drug procurement, by which the NHS will use more generic medicines in place of more expensive branded ones, and renegotiate contracts with pharmaceutical companies regularly."

According to Gordon Brown money saved on the drugs budget by generic competition will then allow them to consider removing charges for more exemptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                  It will be paid for by changes in drug procurement, by which the NHS will use more generic medicines in place of more expensive branded ones, and renegotiate contracts with pharmaceutical companies regularly."
                  Wha' wha' wha'? How are they going to come up with £20-£300 million by prescribing generically? Most computer-generated scripts I see are generic already, no huge savings to be made there IMO.

And don't *even* get me started on Px charges, or Gordon Brown either....

Comment

>Great news for those concerned, but how about ending prescription charges >full stop ?? I know the vast majority of people don't pay but the system would >be much easier if no-one paid at all.

Hmm.! Would be even easier if EVERYONE was going to pay a minimal charge, say 50p-£1 per item.
                    Who knows it might even reduce some of the appalling wastage I see being dispensed EVERY day of my working life.

Comment

This is an absolutely fantastic promise from Gordon Brown to make him look good, and his successor look like c**p when the 'no fee' is abolished due to the complete lack of funds in the kitty!!
                      Reducing the drug bill by enforcing generic prescribing will only work if pharmacists are also given the authority to 'generically sustitute'.
                      But can you imagine the increase in wastage of medications if no-one had to pay for them??? At least a nominal fee is required so that the public realise that medicines have a value.

Comment

Do the public really realise that medicines have value ? I've seen an incredible amount of owings not picked up because people don't want to pay £7.10 for a small tube of HC cream or their ibuprofen tabs.

There's two problems I see with putting a small nominal prescription charge :
                        1) Many more people may be reluctant to go to their doctor about a particular ailment if they know they will possibly have to pay a prescription charge, leading to many missed important diagnoses.
                        2) Whereas now people can buy OTC meds cheaply instead of filling their prescription for the same item, the situation would be reversed ! Imagine, people will rush to their doctors to get a prescription for sudafed tabs for which they'll pay 1/3 of retail price. More hassle at the doctors, leads to more prescriptions at pharmacies, leading to more hassles for pharmacists.

Comment

whilst this move for cancer patients is a good one, it is a very cynical attempt by government to curry favour with the masses - as quite rightly pointed out. 20 million is nowhere near the actual revenue generated by the script charges applied to cancer patients - the larger proportion of whom will be on incapacity benefit or long term sick leave and therefore qualifying for the NHS low income scheme (HC2 card). Those who are in remission and taking drugs such as tamoxifen tend to either be in their late 40's onward (and normally have reached a point in their careers and family life where money is slightly less of an issue) or already fall into another exemption class eg over 60.

So whilst it appears to be all niceness and smiles from the government, it isn't the case. And they know very well how to drag their heels on any other prescription reform until a general election. What's the betting that they'll announce the measure to abolish script charges as part of their party manifesto for the election?
                          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

an excellent example of politicians trying to sell us next to nothing as if it's such a big deal, comparable to a car saleman trying to sell cars by claiming they have four wheels, and the steering wheel is on the right. WOW!!! I wonder what the no-charge for cancer patients meant to people in wales, is he the prime minister of only England or was that speech just for the english? The man is dead and buried, lets move on!!
                            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                              Do the public really realise that medicines have value ? I've seen an incredible amount of owings not picked up because people don't want to pay £7.10 for a small tube of HC cream or their ibuprofen tabs.

There's two problems I see with putting a small nominal prescription charge :
                              1) Many more people may be reluctant to go to their doctor about a particular ailment if they know they will possibly have to pay a prescription charge, leading to many missed important diagnoses.
                              2) Whereas now people can buy OTC meds cheaply instead of filling their prescription for the same item, the situation would be reversed ! Imagine, people will rush to their doctors to get a prescription for sudafed tabs for which they'll pay 1/3 of retail price. More hassle at the doctors, leads to more prescriptions at pharmacies, leading to more hassles for pharmacists.
                              We need a 'safety net' system like they run in Australia.
                              "Something like if you have a recurring condition that exceeds 6 months duration your prescriptions for that condition are exempt"
                              OK I know that you'll come up with all sorts of reasons why that won't work and they will all be good ones, but come on, we need ideas to sort out the NHS so that some of it is still left for when us buggers need it!
                              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X