Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a better choice? Help!

Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year pharmacy student, and I am quite confused at the moment of what to choose Boots or hospital pre-reg?

I have a couple of days to make this decision, which is making the whole thing a lot worse.

Would those who have done Boots and hospital pre-reg please help. What do you think I should go for?

If I choose to do a hospital pre-reg, will I be able to work for Boots after qualifying?

I would appreciate your help very much.

Thanks

Re: What's a better choice? Help!

Well you are a glutton for punishment! If you are a people person, then do prereg in community, will have a couple of weeks in hospital anyway. If more of a systems person then hospital will be more clinically orientated, and you should get a couple of weeks in community.
    johnep

Comment

Hi I did a Boots summer placement in my 3rd year and initially wanted to do my pre-reg there because I thought I would be able to work for them afterwards. Then I changed my mind and managed to get a hospital pre-reg place and decided I wanted to do hospital pharmacy.
      Choose the hospital pre-reg if you really want to do hospital pharmacy and if you want to do a diploma afterwards. Its hard to get into hospital pharmacy because most hospitals prefer for you to do pre-reg in a hospital. Although saying that its not impossible to go from community to hospital.
      Choose the Boots pre-reg if you know that you want to work for Boots in the future. As I said before you can always go from community to hospital later on if you change your mind and decide hospital pharmacy is for you.
      Boots pay is less than hospital pre-reg but you earn more after qualifying in the long term.
      [B]PJS[/B]

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. One of the things that I am quite worried about if I choose to do hospital pharmacy is the responding to symptoms pre-reg paper, would it be hard if I wasn't working in a community pharmacy!!

Comment

Do it in hospital.

Once you qualify you will probably go after the money which isn't in hospital. As for passing the pre-reg exam just discuss your anxieties with your tutor.
          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

So regarding the pre-reg exam, do you think it's better to do a hospital pre-reg?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
              Do it in hospital.

Once you qualify you will probably go after the money which isn't in hospital. As for passing the pre-reg exam just discuss your anxieties with your tutor.
              So what are the advantages of doing pre-reg in hospital?

Comment

You will experience hospital pharmacy. Very few go into hospital from community.

I had a manager working for me who when trying to get into hospital had to half her salary for the first year.

I think you are making too big a thing of this. Just go where you want, once you are on the register you are free to work wherever you can get a job. I don't think a hospital career will be compromised by working Pre-reg in community and vice versa. I do think that working for a vertically integrated multiple will give you a bad impression of pharmacy however but you never know.............you may be lucky.

Comment

You will experience hospital pharmacy. Very few go into hospital from community.

I had a manager working for me who when trying to get into hospital had to half her salary for the first year.

I think you are making too big a thing of this. Just go where you want, once you are on the register you are free to work wherever you can get a job. I don't think a hospital career will be compromised by working Pre-reg in community and vice versa. I do think that working for a vertically integrated multiple will give you a bad impression of pharmacy however but you never know.............you may be lucky.
                  After 50 years in pharmacy ...sound advice Tony.

What I would say is, welcome.
                  The pre-reg year is, in my opinion, unnecessarily tough. However, once you've got through the exam (which most do if you can do basic maths) the world is your hamster!
                  And, as I say. Welcome. It's been good to me and I hope it's even better for you! You'll have a very wide range of opportunities so go for it!
                  And enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                    After 50 years in pharmacy ...sound advice Tony.

What I would say is, welcome.
                    The pre-reg year is, in my opinion, unnecessarily tough. However, once you've got through the exam (which most do if you can do basic maths) the world is your hamster!
                    And, as I say. Welcome. It's been good to me and I hope it's even better for you! You'll have a very wide range of opportunities so go for it!
                    And enjoy!
                    So you did hospital pharmacy?
                    BTW thx for the advice.

Comment

Thx for the advice Tony, it's much appreciated. I just hope at the end of the day I will make the right choice and enjoy my pre-reg year.

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePharmacist View Post
                        Thx for the advice Tony, it's much appreciated. I just hope at the end of the day I will make the right choice and enjoy my pre-reg year.
                        I'd go for the hospital pre-reg.
                        You can then stay in hospital if it suits you, or more to community if it doesn't.
                        You can see if it suits you by doing some saturday locums.

I remember wanting to do hospital, but couldn't get a pre-reg place or convert just after I registered.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Right what about the responding to symptoms pre-reg exam paper, would it be ok even though I only done one summer placement in community. Also how would I prepare 4 it ie. do I need 2 purchase books etc?

Comment

I can't tell what Merlin did from his post. However, I did glean that he was welcoming you and indicating the rich variety of career options available to you.

It doesn't matter which you do during your pre-reg. It makes not a jot of difference. What is important is that you get through it and register. Then you can please yourself.

Comment

The pre-reg exam, I think is more orientated towards community pharmacy! Quite a lot on the drug tarrif and pharmacy law which is specific to community.

Also I found in hospital their formulary is fairly small in terms of the number of drugs in a class. ie in the hospital I worked at there were two Ace inhibitors used and I got used to them and was totally unaware that there were loads of ace inhibitors!!!

Job wise, I wish I'd started in hospital as I cant afford to go back into hospital as my mortgage was given on my community wage and I'd struggle to pay it on a hospital wage. One day maybe!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X