Is the LPC relevant today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the LPC relevant today?

My local LPC has requested people to be on the committee. I applied and was rejected 'because I was not a contractor'.

The secretary went on to say that they had a full complement of multiple representatives, but were lacking independent contractors.

In the days when virtually every pharmacy was independent, then contractor = pharmacist. Now contractor = faceless multiple.

A Local Pharmacist Committee should be just that, a committe of local pharmacists INCLUDING LOCUMS.

The LPC has become the point of contact with the PCT and yet we find a majority of the workforce pharmacists completely ignored.

I can attend as an observer and will do that. They can look forward to 'interruptions from the floor' if I feel locums being sidelined.

Lindsey, Alison about time constitution of LPCs brought up to date.

But of course the RPSGB cannot interfere in contractual matters!
    johnep

Re: Is the LPC relevant today?

i left the LPC i sat on after a year (who shall remain nameless) and found them to be little more than an old boy's club interested only in maintaining the status quo with the PCT and not lifting a finger to get more local pharmacists involved in anything.

I suppose it can be luck of the draw - sometimes you get a good lpc who can really fight your corner (the leeds lpc springs to mind) and other times you get lumbered with dross. Most of the time (from what i've seen) they tend to mean well but get sidelined by the medicines management team (or other bodies) at the PCT level.

And i do happen to think that the structure of LPCs needs a good hard looking at. At the moment I think they only represent the interests of the multiples and other contractors, and rarely look after the individual pharmacist (unless they are a contractor themselves). Maybe there should be some sort of regular forum where individual pharmacists can speak out either to the PCT or to the LPC without having to go through their LPC rep to get anything done (who will often be with a different company to yours and a bit unwilling to go the extra mile for you).
    I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush - there are some extremely hard working, conscientious LPC reps out there! But there are cetainly some out there with their own agendas to push.
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
      (the leeds lpc springs to mind)
      Is Mellissa still on that?

I find Dick Hazlehurst at Bradford LPC very approachable for any problems I may have. Pharmacy Forums in Bradford are useful for networking and putting your views directly to the PCT.

and other times you get lumbered with dross.
      I've no idea who is involved in Huddersfield.

Maybe there should be some sort of regular forum where individual pharmacists can speak out either to the PCT or to the LPC without having to go through their LPC rep to get anything done
      See the Bradford Pharmacy Forum meetings for an example.

Jeff

Comment

LPCs, by definition, represent local contractors and so are made up of contractors and representatives of contractors. (I believe LPC stands for local Pharmaceutical committee, not pharmacists). LPC meetings should, however, be open for all local pharmacists to attend, including locums.

While LPCs should recognise the important role locums and relief pharmacists play, I'm not sure how helpful it would be to have locums on LPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
          I'm not sure how helpful it would be to have locums on LPCs.
          Locums are often horrified by the working conditions which exist in pharmacies they contract to work in. We are all well aware of the slum-shops out there, courtesy of the "contractor", and there are far too many of them.

Perhaps a locum's view in the old boy's LPCs might eventually drag pharmacy into the 21st century, because we don't cut the corners to make the money.
          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

My view is that there are indeed good and bad LPCs but the worst of them have always been a closed shop run by a gang of vested interests.

The fact that individual locums are excluded is neither here nor there as so far they contract only with contractors.

However..........................

In the brave new world where PCTs commission services from "any willing provider" I can see lucrative contracts being offered by PCTs to perform "White Paper" roles and it will not be necessary to have a dispensing contract to perform these roles. In that scenario would it be more appropriate for the LPC to enlarge it's membership or to disband? Certainly PCTs find it easier to discuss and negotiate with one provider organisation such as an LPC but is that a good enough reason to keep them? I rather like the idea of young pharmacists running rings around a reactionary "old guard" who have clung to their traditional role for eons and are unprepared for the clinically oriented onslaught.

I think serious consideration should be given to disbanding LPCs and let's have "every man for himself"! In many areas all the pharmacies are owned by multiples anyway and they deal direct with PCTs

I am up for the challenge.
            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Tony, when you have made enough money from business, please enter pharmacy politics. You are just what we need to revitalise pharmacy.

In the meantime I intend to do what I can from the sidelines.
              johnep

Comment

Reasons not to enter poharmacy politics

1) A hiding to nothing

2) Expensive divorce to pay for

3) Genuinely trying to "walk the walk" with my own business and attempting to expand what pharmacists can do safely and competently.

4) No-one would vote for an old reactionary like me. We need younger people to do the politicking

Thanks for the vote of confidence. However I do my best to "lead by example".

Give 'em hell John!!
                http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Working...
                X