Improved funding for community pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved funding for community pharmacy

Despite a further reduction in category M prices for October, PSNC has written to contractors to inform them of a significant increase in the professional allowance which, put simply, injects significant "new" money into community pharmacy.

I have been saying for some time that the DOH values pharmacy and this new money will significantly improve contractor's ability to invest in the future. No doubt some will look to upgrade their cars and many locums will see an opportunity to increase their rates, never the less community pharmacy is better funded now than it was.

Many thanks to PSNC who always get flak when things go wrong but never seem to get the credit due to them when things go right!

Well things have just improved significantly and I want to record my gratitude and praise to Sue Sharpe and her team who have secured a fantastic result at a time when government revenues are falling thus making funding improvements less likely
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Re: Improved funding for community pharmacy

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
    Despite a further reduction in category M prices for October, PSNC has written to contractors to inform them of a significant increase in the professional allowance which, put simply, injects significant "new" money into community pharmacy.

I have been saying for some time that the DOH values pharmacy and this new money will significantly improve contractor's ability to invest in the future. No doubt some will look to upgrade their cars and many locums will see an opportunity to increase their rates, never the less community pharmacy is better funded now than it was.

Many thanks to PSNC who always get flak when things go wrong but never seem to get the credit due to them when things go right!

Well things have just improved significantly and I want to record my gratitude and praise to Sue Sharpe and her team who have secured a fantastic result at a time when government revenues are falling thus making funding improvements less likely
    I'm not sure how community works but does that mean that there is now less pressure to do volumes and more space to provide services? If so this is wonderful news.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    (T. Pratchett)

Comment

It means that if volumes are maintained there is more money to invest or take as profit. As contractor pharmacists have been under the cosh with soaring overheads and diminishing income for the best part of a year, some of this money may be spent on a well deserved holiday!

However, as pharmacy is better funded now there is less excuse not to invest in decent quality premises and upskilling of staff.

Comment

I have been saying for some time that the DOH values pharmacy and this new money will significantly improve contractor's ability to invest in the future.
        You mean the promise that you could invest with confidence is back despite having been absent for the best part of a year.

[/quote] No doubt some will look to upgrade their cars and many locums will see an opportunity to increase their rates,[/quote]
        or return the money as shareholder dividends.

[quote] never the less community pharmacy is better funded now than it was.[/quote}
        Better than it was last month, but better than it was last year or two years ago or 5 years ago?

I'm happy for you

Jeff

Comment

What are the amounts involved, i've not been privy to this letter?

Comment

Speaking purely personally the two years either side of the introduction of the "new" contract were the best financially since I owned a business (1981). The last year has been miserable but not as bad as the early 1990's. It is too early to calculate the impact of the increased professional allowance but for the rest of the year it is £1-01 per item up from 34.5p. This is a temporary increase pending a new cost enquiry but only 30.2p per item is temporary.

Category M reductions will take on average 16p per item off this (yes, new cat M reductions) so basically a temporary increas of 50p per item until April 2009. every 1000 items will be paid at £500 per month more. The 30.2p will be adjusted after the cost enquiry.

You say you are happy about this Jeff but do I note a tone of sarcasm?

Comment

Category M reductions will take on average 16p per item off this (yes, new cat M reductions) so basically a temporary increas of 50p per item until April 2009. every 1000 items will be paid at £500 per month more. The 30.2p will be adjusted after the cost enquiry.

You say you are happy about this Jeff but do I note a tone of sarcasm?
              I said I was happy for you - and I am. However this income yo-yo that has to be re-engineered every 6 months, still based on script volume rather than service provision is not something I feel any reason to be overjoyed about.

If the new money was a payment for not dispensing unwanted and unneeded items I'd be a lot happier.

Jeff

Comment

The re-engineering of community pharmacy services is underway. The White Paper proposals were greeted with a "when will we have time to do that?" response from employed pharmacists and a "where is the money coming from to pay for this?" from contractor pharmacists.

As the mechanisms to deliver white paper proposals are only now being discussed at the levels that count, I think it a very good thing that money going into community pharmacy is being seen to increase. It shows an act of faith by government, addresses funding concerns amongst those being asked to invest and the potential investment should improve conditions for employed pharmacists.

We are facing a steep economic downturn where NHS spending, reliant on tax receipts which will diminish dramatically over the next year or so, will be under severe pressure. That demonstrates the achievement of Sue Sharpe and her team.

We all know that if proprietors use the money for new holidays and improved shareholder returns or employees take the opportunity to increase their hourly rate the new funding will come to nought. However, I am confident that sufficient will use the opportunity to invest therefore putting pressure on the majority.

It would be great if the new arrangements were part of a new method of paying for quality but I'll take the money until they are!

Comment

Mr TS, is there any space for me in the cacoon that you inhabit.
                  We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Any chance you could elaborate on what at first sight appears to be a brainless, meaningless nonsense? I know you want to impress the audience and look cool and knowledgeable but you will have to do better than that.

Comment

I've looked at Solomon's post on more than one brief occasion and still think it's meaningless drivel. I did notice that it was posted in the wee small hours though. Maybe that's the reason....

Comment

I think he wants a job!!

Comment

Summary Of 2008/2009 Funding Agreement News PSNC

useful informations about the improved funding for community pharmacy.
                          major changes:
                          increase in pre-reg grant from 16440 into 18440.trainee i.e a total of 3m pounds.

increase in practice payment as what Mr TS discussed.

MUR fee rises from 27 to 28 pounds/MUR i.e total increase of 400 pounds for contractors.
                          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

erm, the only reason i was posting at that hour at night was because thats the only time I get now, after WORK, so im not looking for a job at the moment....

Any chance you could elaborate on what at first sight appears to be a brainless, meaningless nonsense?.....
                            I never said anything about anything being brainless and meaningless, but what you have to understand is that contractors need to know these increases will be permanent, and someone isnt going to turn around and take the money out from somewhere else.

Take for example the MURs, if the money for these was new funding, then pharmacies who participated would look to gain while others who didnt would not lose out thus puttin less prssure on people who are at the ground level. A "warning" could then be given about changing the payment method to the current model, and everyone would have been happy, the transmission might have been a slower but alot smoother, and you wouldnt get pharmacists doing MUR on a patient about the interaction between the Contraceptive pill and penicillin. And also i feel this way would hit less harsly on those pharmacies who arent in a position to expand, e.g. pharmacies inside GP surgerys, and lets them reflect on what avenues they want to explore to meet the new contract.

finally, that mini post did hint at asking Mr TS whether there was any route into primary care for newly qualified pharmacists
                            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                              erm, the only reason i was posting at that hour at night was because thats the only time I get now, after WORK, so im not looking for a job at the moment....

I never said anything about anything being brainless and meaningless, but what you have to understand is that contractors need to know these increases will be permanent, and someone isnt going to turn around and take the money out from somewhere else.

Take for example the MURs, if the money for these was new funding, then pharmacies who participated would look to gain while others who didnt would not lose out thus puttin less prssure on people who are at the ground level. A "warning" could then be given about changing the payment method to the current model, and everyone would have been happy, the transmission might have been a slower but alot smoother, and you wouldnt get pharmacists doing MUR on a patient about the interaction between the Contraceptive pill and penicillin. And also i feel this way would hit less harsly on those pharmacies who arent in a position to expand, e.g. pharmacies inside GP surgerys, and lets them reflect on what avenues they want to explore to meet the new contract.

finally, that mini post did hint at asking Mr TS whether there was any route into primary care for newly qualified pharmacists

No Solly, you didn't say anything about being brainless and meaningless. What you said was brainless and meaningless! No-one could deduce that you meant what you say here from what you said there!

I get your drift about changing payment models and as it has been debated elsewhere I don't really want to debate it with you. I don't disagree.

A route into primary care? That isn't my coccoon? What do you mean? If you want to own a business you know how to go about it, if you want to work as a primary care pharmacist see if a PCT near you is recruiting? It's not difficult.

I have talked about APMS contracts before and I am a director of a company that has one and will shortly have two. I am recruiting pharmacists as we speak however you don't have the required experience!

There will be others no doubt and you may see fit to apply for an APMS yourself yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X