diamorphine supply problem an appeal in hull UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diamorphine supply problem an appeal in hull UK

Currently I have 3 lads who collect diamorphine ampoules from me each day.

Unfortunately, they have over the years, failed to respond to methadone et al treatments. Believe me, there are no alternative treatments. I have been down this path, including switching to dose equivalents morphine etc etc

They are 3 of the nicest people you could meet.

At the moment and for the foreseeable future there is a supply problem getting diamorphine ampoules.

I have found, it is possible, to get diamorphine amps if you speak to the right people in the supply chain.

However I am contemplating leaving my position since management are going to force me to conduct a MUR each day, which I judge is not being resourced sufficiently to perform my role safely.

I am very concerned what will happen to these 3 patients if I leave.

Therefore I am appealing to other Pharmacists in Hull to take on these 3 lads and commit them selves to supplying them with diamorphine amps.

I can give you contact details for CP Pharm and AAH, so that you can get the diamorphine each month but it means, you have to chase it, by making a few phone calls each month, so there is a little work on your part, which as these lads will testify, most pharmacists are not willing to do.

I am currently between a rock and a hard place, as I feel, if I stay in my post, I will eventually, due to the work pressure commit an error with the possibility of being struck off, whereas, if I leave these 3 lads will quite literally end up dead since they won’t be able to find a pharmacist who can take the trouble of chasing down their diamorphine each month.

Anyone out there who can help in this matter?

Cheers
    Mister Pharmacist

Mister Pharmacist

I work in and around your area, so will ask around if anyone is willing to take on this task. Why aren't the company allowing you a 2nd pharmacist, so you can book all your MUR's on a particular day? I worked at a store to do just this last week, and the regular pharmacist only had four to do.

Couldn't you ask if you can also do this? What will you do if you leave?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Since i wrote the original post, I have had to take on yet another patient as his regular pharmacy ran out of diamorphine and was unable to secure any more. His key worker rang me and asked if I could help out. I've agreed.

I've spoken to the pharmacist there and to give her credit she did seem very concerned and promised that she will keep trying to obtain further supplies ASAP.

However unless I can find an alternative pharmacy who are willing to take the patient on, I will probably run out of diamorphine for all four patients before I can secure more stock.

Its no good the patient going to a pharmacy supplied by AAH as that is where I am getting my stock.

With this in mind I made some phone calls to 3 Boots in Hull today.

I explained the situation to the pharmacist and explained the serious consequences for the patient if they were unable to obtain their medication.

ie I believe they would probably end up dead very quickly.

I was saddened by the response of the first 2 pharmacists I spoke to, both basically said they couldn't be bothered to make a few phone calls each month. One told me it was more trouble than it was worth (worth what I wondered? a mans life, versus a few phone calls or maybe the dispensing fee wasn't enough I couldn't figure out her value system to decide)

Maybe I hadn't explained myself clearly enough what it was I was asking of them, as their grasp of the English langauge seemed iffy, at least
      over the telephone.

My faith was restored in Boots when the third pharmacist who spoke perfect English said he could check on Boots computer if he could obtain some for tomorrow. 20 seconds later and "yeah mate I can get 100 ampoules tomorrow, thats 22 days supply for your new patient. He can either come here or I can send the stock to you with one of our drivers, just send me a signed order and theres no markup"

more trouble than it was worth for two pharmacists, 20 seconds of his time for another and 22 more days of living a normal life for another man.

I know it is not impossible to obtain diamorphine, it just needs a little effort each month and/or like the Boots pharmacist showed today, 20 seconds of his time and a caring outlook towards people.

Unfortunatley the helpful Boots pharmacist was telling me he is leaving for pastures new, so I'm still on the look out for any pharmacist who feel they can help me out with this problem.

thx

Mister Pharmacist

Comment

So whatever happened to putting the patient first? The first two you spoke two don't seem like they cares less? It's a sad state of affairs when pharmacists won't make a couple of calls for someone.

I wonder why the helpful guy is moving on........

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Re: diamorphine supply problem an appeal in hull UK

if may i ask, how's life in hull? i hear it's a bit rough?
          i am considering to do my pre-reg year in hull. phoned the area manager and he was more than happy to get me a place there :P
          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Re: diamorphine supply problem an appeal in hull UK

Originally posted by Ray View Post
            if may i ask, how's life in hull? i hear it's a bit rough?
            i am considering to do my pre-reg year in hull. phoned the area manager and he was more than happy to get me a place there :P
            Like anywhere it all depends where you live. The area manager leaves within two weeks, so I'm not sure why he's taken you on - probably gets commission.

Comment

Working...
            X