Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pharmacy project choice...im really scared?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pharmacy project choice...im really scared?

im about to start my final year at portsmouth uni in a month's time, and as part of 4th year we are all required to complete a project. i have chosen a non-lab based project but im not sure now. please please please can ppl give me advice on what kinda project is better to do- lab or non-lab based, im really not sure about non-lab now because u really have to motivate urself to get on with it however you do get 2 days off whereas lab is more structured but ur constantly having to do experiments in the lab in those 2 days? it could get tiring and time consuming? which is more mentally stimulating and stressful in a good way? all advice appreciated on this

Re: pharmacy project choice...im really scared?

also we have the following themes to choose from:

Formulation & Microbiology
    MedChem & Phytopharmacy
    Pharmacology&Biochemistry
    Pharmacy Education
    Physical & Analytical Chemistry
    Practice & comp. therapy

Comment

Originally posted by meaniebeanie View Post

MedChem & Phytopharmacy
      Pharmacy Education
      Practice & comp. therapy
      there should be a full comprehensive list for projects provided by your university. i prefer lab-based, but it's all about what motivates you.
      some ppl pick some proects based on the supervisors.
      Last edited by Rafael; 29, September 2008, 04:03 PM.
      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        there should be a full comprehensive list for projects provided by your university. i prefer lab-based, but it's all about what motivates you.
        some ppl pick some proects based on the supervisors.

for me it was easy to decide my graduation project, as i was given 2 choices to pick one from as an exchange student going to malaysia in january with another 4 mates from my uni.
        Could you bring back some orchids for a mate of mine? (ex pharmacist)

Jeff

Comment

Do a lab based as uni geared to help you. I have received survey forms from students to fill in. I do it but most go in bin.
          johnep

Comment

I did a lab based project because it was an area I was interested in. Although it may take more time to actually do the experiments and gather the data, the analysis is a lot easier than survey based projects as there are figures to analyse and you don't have to interpret people's comments.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              Do a lab based as uni geared to help you. I have received survey forms from students to fill in. I do it but most go in bin.
              johnep
              Same here..would advocate lab-based every time..I receive surveys from students by post regularly..always saw it as a pretty lazy way to do a project..anyone can gather data and stick it into a program..usually done on a laptop in the union bar?..maybe things have changed!
              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                Could you bring back some orchids for a mate of mine? (ex pharmacist)

Jeff
                And probably go to prison!..
                Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by meaniebeanie View Post

MedChem & Phytopharmacy
                  Pharmacy Education
                  Practice & comp. therapy
                  If it were up to me I'd choose to attempt to find a list of all licensed medicines in the UK that were either alcohol or gelatin free.
                  Write to all the manufacturers and ask, and compile the list (by therapeutic category?)
                  Might be covered by formulation but not sure what it has to do with microbiology.

Jeff

Comment

lab work is more fun but has a much bigger chance of going wrong - it's definitely not hangover-compatible. I held the year record for the most glassware breakages.

Damn those labs sessions - how dare they timetable them for first thing after the sports association disco!
                    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I agree, lab-based every time. I played around with pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms and bacteriophage. On the eighth floor of the uni, couldn't open a window, in those micro lab coats - it was a very warm spring too. Character building!!

On a serious note, it teaches you to solve problems and to think around problems.
                      Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

Originally posted by Band6 View Post
                        I agree, lab-based every time. I played around with pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms and bacteriophage. On the eighth floor of the uni, couldn't open a window, in those micro lab coats - it was a very warm spring too. Character building!!

On a serious note, it teaches you to solve problems and to think around problems.
                        Sounds interesting - did you come across any research from the old USSR where they were experimenting with 'phages as antibiotics were in short supply or too expensive to make?
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Loads! Lots from Tblisi, Georgia funnily enough. It was frustrating as there is so much research out there that I couldn't access because it was written in Russian, Georgian and Polish.
                          If I ever did a PhD, it would be developing a bacteriophage mixture and inhaler device/nebuliser to treat Psuedomonad lung infections in CF patients - that would be so cool!!
                          Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

what about phage-imbued dressings for mrsa infected wounds? Phage / antibiotic combos for c.dificile or e.coli bowel infections?

Chronic nebulised phage therapy mixed with tobramycin for cystic fibrosis patients? might be a good double whammy!
                            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

There is a folk history of nature providing remedies nearby. Ie Dock leaves near stinging nettles. Original cephalosporin found near sewage outful in sardinia by scientist on holiday. In the TV prog on phages, showed samples in rivers being taken near sewage outfalls.

The west used to have antitoxins for treatment. apparently Merck had 32 strains of pneumonia antitoxin available, scrapped when penicillin came in.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X