RPSGB Inspector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPSGB Inspector

I have a routine visit from an inspector coming up some time in the next few weeks. In the 13 years since I moved from hospital to community pharmacy this is the first time I've had a notified visit - all the previous ones have been unannounced (although on one occasion the inspector claimed she'd written but no-one had seen the letter).

I've downloaded the checklist from the RPSGB website and can't find anything badly wrong but I'm still a bit nervous - as I said at the last one I actually prefer the inspector to just turn up out of the blue because at least then I can't spend weeks worrying about it!

Does anyone out there have any handy hints/things to watch out for?

Re: RPSGB Inspector

Make sure all SOP's in place, have been signed as read by all staff and are being followed.

Comment

Ensure your CD register is up to date, and your sinks are sparkling, and properly allocated for staff/dispensing use. Kettle out of sight unless in staffroom, and no backup stock (including nappies) stored in the toilet area. Also have your Methylated Spirit and Poisons registers to hand, and check certificates of authorisation to supply are in-date. (if applicable).

Some points trivial I know, but inspectors love this sort of thing.
      Last edited by Fleegle; 28, August 2008, 08:39 PM.
      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Stuff i can remember coming across from inspections in the past:

Have a look for any of the unlicenced crap we give out (eg melatonin caps, some senna brands, some vits) are isolated away from the main dispensary stock (we normally chuck it in a basket with an 'unlicensed' label on it).

and go over that cd register with a fine tooth comb!

make sure your certificate is on display.

If you do methadone make sure you use separate measures and make sure they are all clearly labelled as such (eg a big M in perm marker)

make sure none of your dispensing benches have damaged surfaces (eg conti board cracked off top surface) - if you do, get it fixed.

Have a quick look to see if there's anything on file from the last visit and see if any recommendations have been followed.

Keep your waste consignment sheets from your DOOP pickups handy - they aren't normally asked for but they are in the scope if the inspector wants to look.

look for records that your balances / scales have been tested properly for accuracy.

Make bloody sure you move the milk and your butties out of the dispensing fridge!
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
          Stuff i can remember coming across from inspections in the past:

Have a look for any of the unlicenced crap we give out (eg melatonin caps, some senna brands, some vits) are isolated away from the main dispensary stock (we normally chuck it in a basket with an 'unlicensed' label on it).

and go over that cd register with a fine tooth comb!

make sure your certificate is on display.

If you do methadone make sure you use separate measures and make sure they are all clearly labelled as such (eg a big M in perm marker)

make sure none of your dispensing benches have damaged surfaces (eg conti board cracked off top surface) - if you do, get it fixed.

Have a quick look to see if there's anything on file from the last visit and see if any recommendations have been followed.

Keep your waste consignment sheets from your DOOP pickups handy - they aren't normally asked for but they are in the scope if the inspector wants to look.

look for records that your balances / scales have been tested properly for accuracy.

Make bloody sure you move the milk and your butties out of the dispensing fridge!

Dealt with the unlicensed stuff, don't do methadone, hadn't thought of the DOOP thing - thanks.

We're lucky enough to have a separate staff fridge for milk and butties!

So far no-one's come up with anything that worries me unduly - thanks to those who've replied, anybody else got anything?

Comment

Did anyone mention refrigerator temperature record?
            Check that no recent P are on the GSL section.
            Make sure that you look smart on the day (seriously) it gives the appearance of efficiency.
            Print off some research about drugs and fruit juices etc and leave it lying around.

Things not to ask or do
            Who will be visiting after 2010?
            Do not express an opinion about anything.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

We had a visit a few weeks ago. Things he checked/asked for included:

Fridge temperature charts
              Records for specials
              If you have a nursing/reidential home that PILs are sent for every drug. Same goes for MDS.
              Unlicenced products. Last visit he took a tiny blue pot of folic acid 400mcg.
              CD key on you.
              No addict scripts made up and left out of the CD cabinet.
              All bottles capped.
              Employers public liabilty certificate on display and in date (ours had expired).
              Your certificate on display.
              Do you sell frontline? He asked our pharmcist about this.
              Milk out of the dispensary fridge.
              Out of pocket expenses calculated each month.
              CD register up to date.
              No non-CD items in the CD cabinet.
              Record of weekly CD checks

Comment

Just another thing I remember from a few years ago..they used to take a bagged prescription from the "ready to go" shelf, double check it, and proceed to split it into three portions, and seal the caps with wax! Inspector then wrote "new" test prescription in triplicate to ensure you were paid for supply.

You got one part of new prescription, and dispensed item, and the other two were taken away for analysis, along with original prescription...Don't know if this is still done, but bottom line is check very carefully when the inspector's visit is due...eg.no checked bag containing CD on shelf...
                Don't Stop Believing

Comment

[QUOTE=Pharmanaut;15619]Did anyone mention refrigerator temperature record

Don' think anyone did but mine is up to date including notes on action taken when it's gone out of range.

Check that no recent P are on the GSL section.

Good one - once found a POM and a withdrawn product in a pharmacy where I was locuming. Staff and regular pharmacist (both very competent and not given to stupid errors) were mortified.

Make sure that you look smart on the day (seriously) it gives the appearance of efficiency.

Only problem with that is I won't know the exact day. Suppose I could hide some smart clothes in the consultation room and get changed if I spot him coming in. Seriously, I always look smart(ish).

Print off some research about drugs and fruit juices etc and leave it lying around.

Do they ever actually take an interest in anything indicating that we might be trying to do a good job?

Things not to ask or do
                  Who will be visiting after 2010?

Naughty - but I like it!

Do not express an opinion about anything.[/QUOTE]

Whoops! See Newark Advertiser

Comment

I would suggest, that because of the times that we are in, the inspector would be more interested in how up to date you are with the new contract, "stupid" things such as signposting, child protection, etc....
                    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                      I would suggest, that because of the times that we are in, the inspector would be more interested in how up to date you are with the new contract, "stupid" things such as signposting, child protection, etc....

most of that guff falls to the pct to inspect solly
                      “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

i though that's what we were talking about?? maybe not!! I must learn to double check the thread title before posting, that could be my first new year's resolution
                        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Are we really not allowed a kettle in the dispensary?!?

Also didn't know we had to use separate measures for methadone - thought as long as they are washed up properly there shouldn't be a problem?

Comment

These are two apparently small points made by the inspector which I actually agree with 100%...

1) If you have a kettle in the dispensary, where do you keep the coffee, teabags, sugar, milk and biscuits...not to mention bread, cakes, scones, yogurts, sachets of various out-of-date sauces, and rotting fruit? All best kept in a separate location.

2) A separate methadone measure, as long as all dispensing staff are aware of its existence, prevents the possibility of a measure which has just contained methadone (and may easily still contain 3-4ml of the stuff) being used without washing out for e.g. reconstitution of 15ml of Zithromax suspension..the repercussions on something like that are most definitely best avoided at all costs. Buy a second measure!

Fleeg.
                            Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Thanks Fleeg.

Unlicensed meds - are they supposed to be kept somewhere different then? Don't see what the problem is with them being in with all the others as long as you are aware they are unlicensed? Do they check where supplies of unlicensed meds have gone, eg, do you have to record batch no and patient name of every box of co-proxamol/glucosamine/etc that you give out?

Comment

Working...
                              X