Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about not being from right background to be a 'pharmacist'

Hi.

I'm a mother of five young children who has started career aspirations late in life. Did an Access course (not the conventional A'Levels) in college which led me to being accepted at Greenich Uni (Medway School of Pharmacy) and Reading Uni for the MPharm. I'm 32yrs old and a mother of five young children. Parents left country when I was 17yrs old so I didnt have the oppertunity to pursue further education at the 'right age'. Went for interviews at London School of Pharmacy and KCH. These to Pharmacy schools would have been ideal for me as I live in South East London, but I found the interviewers very snobby and 1 man even had the audasity to ask why I was trying for pharmacy so 'late in life'.

I am worried I am not form the right background to do this job. I am due to start the MPharm this Sept and I realise that this course is not easy for anyone however I most of the student I encountered at the open days were young and appeared to be from the conventional background.

Does anyone think my age will affect future job prospects?? DOn't get me wrong I have had some good jobs in my working life but this is a total change in direction for me.

Re: Worried about not being from right background to be a 'pharmacist'

background seems fine to me, just worried about your five children, depends on who will be providing you support as MPharm is a demanding full-time course!!
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Yeah, I know its demanding.
      My husbands really good support. He's having to work nights though so he can pick children up from school and nursery. I am dedicted and determined and got the highest results on my course. I know its gonna be hard but I'm dtermined. Just abit worried cos other students on my course got lower grades but were younger and they got into London School Of Pharmacy and Kings College which according to my lecturers were 'the' schools to get into.

Comment

your lecturers were right, but course will be fulltime i.e. 9am-5pm mon-fri, any free time would need to be spent reading, doing assignments etc... also note you will be losing any income that you were bringing in before from working,

but as long as you have full support from your husband as you say, you'd be ok.

and about the younger etc etc... students, just dont be shy to approach them, because you will have to work with them in group work, labs etc... if you offer a bit of your experience, level headedness etc... i'm sure other students would easily treat you as a fellow student, rather than an older person who happens to be on their course.
        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

sorry bout spelling mistakes.......its late and I'm tired!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

thanks for the advice..........

Comment

Pharmchick - mum of five I'm not suprised you're tired! I respect anyone who can raise their children and re-train. My own mother went to college whilst myself and my brother were in primary school. It was a tough three years, and yes there were a few temper tantrums but it made us closer in the end. I also know there are a few students on the course at my Uni who are over 27ish including one in his thirties with kids.

Good luck!! And well done for getting this far!
              wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

thanks very much...........I think I'll need it!! I know it will be worth it in the end.

Pharmchick

Comment

Hi. My advice would be to make sure pharmacy is what you want to do. If you have undertaken work experience in a pharmacy and know the highs and lows of being a pharmacist and still think its right for you then def go for it. The next five years might be hard, demanding alot of work but once you qualify you will have the chance to either work as an employee pharmacist or as a locum choosing which hours suits you to work, around your family. As for being older then other students, dont worry I have plenty of friends on my course of all ages, uni is the place to meet people of all ages and all backgrounds. You will by no means by the oldest person at the uni and you will fit in just fine!

Dont be put off by a very small group of snobby admission tutors. I know alot of pharmacists and students who have entered pharmacy at later stages than myself and often become very good pharmacists. As long as you are relistic and understand that the next 4-5years may be very hard work and rather stressfull at times but you are willing to put up with this then by all means you will be fine!

let us know what you decide, all the best!!!

Mark

Comment

It is not for others including me to offer advice on whether you should do the course. Only you can decide that and you have already made that decision. What I can say is that if you are well supported and can complete the course you will find that none of this is of any importance when you seek a job.

I know personally a number of pharmacists who qualified later in life and I have employed two of them. There are many reasons why people choose paths at differing times in their lives and it is nobodies business but their's. I know two dispensing technicians who did pharmacy in their early 30's and they are both fine pharmacists now.

Please keep us informed of your progress and tell us of any difficulties you are having. There is bound to be someone here who can help.

Good luck and best wishes.

Tony S
                    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

It's reassuring to know that there are others who were in my position that have made it. I'll definately keep you guys posted thanks for the advice you've been a great help.

Pharmchick

Comment

I have worked with quite a few pharmacists who've trained "later" in life. And I don't believe a persons background makes any difference. Enjoy your course and future career.
                        Best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by pharmchick View Post
                          Hi.

found the interviewers very snobby and 1 man even had the audasity to ask why I was trying for pharmacy so 'late in life'.
                          This is the kind of crap that I can't stand. I'm afraid this kind of "ageism" if you want to call it that (you are still young in my opinion) is rampant these days.
                          You should try for Sunderland University, they used to have the highest proportion of mature pharmacy students in the UK. (>50% of the class).

I can say from a knowledge of equality legislation in Eire, it would have been illegal for the interviewer to pose the question quoted above, not sure if this is the case in the UK.

Best of luck, give Sunderland admissions a call - you won't regret it.

PS, The People from the NE of England are quality!

Comment

Working...
                          X