Re Nextphase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re Nextphase

I was wondering if there are any here with the Nextphase system, and would be interested to hear how well they are getting on with it.

Don't get me started on nexphase!

I worked with it at a shop owned by an independent. It was by far the worst piece of crap I've ever worked with!

It always reminded me of a piece from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    The robot corporation whose peripheral design flaws were so bad that you missed the integral design flaws.

In other words, you get so caught up in the fact that all the little add-ons don't work that you forget that it does NOTHING that it's supposed to.

Moss have taken it on because it's ETP equipped.
    But I've always said that that's like buying a burnt out Ferrari and saying that if it weren't burnt out it would do 150MPH.

Haven't worked with it in 6 months but for previous 3 years always had same problems that never seemed to get put right:

1. Corrupt product files so it would order wrong stuff and you'd have to go through all invoices to work out which drug file was wrong.
    2. No easy way to alter an Rx which had already been printed.
    3. If you typed in Surname, Forname to search for patient and then had to put them in as new patient the forename and surname got swapped in the files.
    4. No real easy way of adding patient notes like "prefers Norton Atenolol" or "delivery"
    5. All dressings printed as single labels even 100 x gauze swabs
    6. Even if you labelled Rx as 1 x 500ml Gaviscon, it ordered 4 x 150ml
    7. Getting it to endorse could be a real problem if it wasn;t in right mood!
    8. Would never send order first time. Had to send it, then cancel and then resend.
    9. No onscreen reminders of which buttons need to be pressed when, just had to remember

These are just the ones that I can remember after 6 months!
    They might have done something about it now but I'd make sure you had a good test of it before paying any money for it.

As an aside:
    It crashed once and they sent out an engineer that didn't even realise that we were using Nexphase, he thought it was still only in beta testing!

I found that their helpdesk had only one man that knew what he was doing! I spent two days at the shop once and came up with a list of problems that covered 3 sides of A4!

If you do get it, or god forbid, already have it, may the lord have mercy on your soul :twisted:
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Re: Re Nexphase

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
      Don't get me started on nexphase!

1. Corrupt product files so it would order wrong stuff and you'd have to go through all invoices to work out which drug file was wrong.
      2. No easy way to alter an Rx which had already been printed.
      3. If you typed in Surname, Forname to search for patient and then had to put them in as new patient the forename and surname got swapped in the files.
      4. No real easy way of adding patient notes like "prefers Norton Atenolol" or "delivery"
      5. All dressings printed as single labels even 100 x gauze swabs
      6. Even if you labelled Rx as 1 x 500ml Gaviscon, it ordered 4 x 150ml
      7. Getting it to endorse could be a real problem if it wasn;t in right mood!
      8. Would never send order first time. Had to send it, then cancel and then resend.
      9. No onscreen reminders of which buttons need to be pressed when, just had to remember
      Yikes! Sounds like you had a bit of a rough time there! Hopefully if you're doing locum work in Alliance shops which have Nexphase running you'll have a better experience now, over a year down the line.

Issues 1, 5, and 6 would have all been tariff/restrictions related - these problems in my experience have been rectified in the next monthly update (so long as Cegedim are informed). While it can be irritating when occasional errors are made, there is a huge amount of work involved in update the monthly tariff update.
      Issue 3 - If you find that the patients first and last names have been transposed when entering a new patient - press F3 (the same as Mediphase I think) to swap them back.

Issue 4 - Press Ctrl + T any time when on the OSCAR screen or click in the Patient Notes part of the screen and press Insert or just start typing in the next blank row. You can make a patient note 'flash' up when going in to the patient's record by pressing Ctrl + F.

Issue 7 - If you're pressing F8 to finish the script, then it sounds like you may have had a hardware problem (not uncommon in Star SCP700 combination labeller / endorser printers).

Issue 9 - If at any point in the application you're not sure what to do next, press Ctrl (either hold the left control button for 5 seconds or press the right control button) and a menu displaying all available actions is displayed for your convenience.

Issue 8 - Ordering issues are difficult to diagnose. While the order pad has dramatically improved in stablilty and usability over the last year, no amount of coding can fix a faulty modem or dodgy account settings. If you are still having problems log a call! (If at an Alliance branch, call the Shared Service Center, otherwise call Cegedim)

I have spent the last three years working with Nexphase; spending time with the ETP development team, support teams (Cegedim and Alliance Pharmacy) and at the coal front in pharmacies. There is no denying that there have been some problems, but I can say with confidence that release 7.5 is looking to be stable and incorporates some dramatic speed improvements.
      You're only as good as your last backup ...

Comment

Re: Re Nexphase

Originally posted by NexphaseNorthy View Post
        Issues 1, 5, and 6 would have all been tariff/restrictions related - these problems in my experience have been rectified in the next monthly update (so long as Cegedim are informed). While it can be irritating when occasional errors are made, there is a huge amount of work involved in update the monthly tariff update.
        FYI restrictions, while delivered by Cegedim, are dictated by the company you are working for. If you have an issue with what items are available to dispense, you should talk to the person responsible within your organisation for creating the restrictions file.

Comment

Re: Re Nextphase

Thanks for the info.

Have new job now and we use Pharmacy manager.

Nothing personal mate but I consider Nextphase to be the worst computer system I've had the misfortune to work with.

It's the only computer system I've known that you can actually type faster than the computer can process and it won't catch up.

With all other systems I've worked with if it slows down you can keep typing and the labels etc. will catch up. Not with Nextphase. It's quite an ego trip actually there is a computer system I can think faster than!

The last time I worked with Nextphase I spent 4 hours labelling. I've never had to do that anywhere even in pharmacies with no dispensers.

An Alliance Boots I used to work in has been held up so badly that their main computer now has two printers. (The type that print labels thermally from the top and endorse Rxs through the bottom)

You print labels on one and endorse on the other. Hardly a brilliant setup and makes me think that system capabilities are sadly lacking.

One funny anecdote:
          The dispenser wasn't really looking at what she was doing and on the order screen typed the pipcode into the space for item description. When she entered it it crashed the system so badly that the computer helpdesk had to re-install the reboot software onto the master computer.
          Not really that robust a system I would have said.

I'm sorry I'm doing your computer system down but I find it as useful in a busy pharmacy as a half blind illiterate dispenser with one leg.

All the best
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
          pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
          eloquent-e-tales

Comment

A question really for Nexphasenorthy - but could be interesting for others. We are about to change to Nextphase (Alliance store) and one of the local GPs would like us to email MURs if at all possible. I thought great - windows based surely it will be easy. But on phoning the IT department the helpdesk person said 'no'. When I asked if this was being worked on as it was a logical step that would save lots of time for both parties, he didnt want to know...
            So, assuming a secure address is it possible to email computer generated MURs directly to the GP practice????

Comment

Hi Womble,

From a technical point of view, the answer you got was correct - there is currently no functionality to EMail MURs on completion.

There has recently been a new 'feedback' address for branch teams to send ideas for new functionality and indeed feedback (positive or negative) on the programme. The project team in charge of Nexphase reviews all mails received. If you want to send me a private message with your branch number, I'll send you the details at the branch (I don't want to publish it in a public forum without checking with AP).

While you might think it would be easy to introduce new apparently basic functionality into the product, as end users we are actually always about 6 months away. This isn't unusual nor an unduly long development cycle.

For example, at the time of writing version 7.4.3 is live in shops and version 7.5.x is in testing. Cegedim developers will be working on 7.6.x or maybe even 7.7.x.

For new ideas to be put forward as requirements by Alliance they need to be run past the Nexphase steering committee and then put into the development roadmap.

To the best of my knowledge, there is currently no plan to make MURs 'emailable'. Whlie you may have a 'secure' email you trust to send MURs to, there would probably be data protection issues blocking this going forward. Apart from anything, emails are inherrently insecure - both in transmission and that you can't guarantee who's going to look at it.

If I were to make a guess, we'll probably be waiting for EPS phase 2 and beyond before we see this level of shared patient data between community pharmacy and gp offices.

Comment

"To the best of my knowledge, there is currently no plan to make MURs 'emailable'. Whlie you may have a 'secure' email you trust to send MURs to, there would probably be data protection issues blocking this going forward. Apart from anything, emails are inherrently insecure - both in transmission and that you can't guarantee who's going to look at it. "

Hi,

Email security is definitely a concern. The NHS in England has its own secure email system called NHSmail (previously known as NHS Contact)

Welcome to PSNC- NHS Contact Details
                Connecting for Health - NHSmail

Unfortunately community pharmacy doesn't have access to this at this time

The current guidance from the PSNC therefore advises not to send MUR forms by email:

Welcome to PSNC - email MURs

Hope this helps
                LabRat MRPharmS

Comment

Originally posted by LabRat View Post
                  "To the best of my knowledge, there is currently no plan to make MURs 'emailable'. Whlie you may have a 'secure' email you trust to send MURs to, there would probably be data protection issues blocking this going forward. Apart from anything, emails are inherrently insecure - both in transmission and that you can't guarantee who's going to look at it. "

Hi,

Email security is definitely a concern. The NHS in England has its own secure email system called NHSmail (previously known as NHS Contact)

Welcome to PSNC- NHS Contact Details
                  Connecting for Health - NHSmail

Unfortunately community pharmacy doesn't have access to this at this time

The current guidance from the PSNC therefore advises not to send MUR forms by email:

Welcome to PSNC - email MURs

Hope this helps
                  Whether or not this meets all the confidentiality stuff, a solution could be to "print to pdf" and email the pdf files?
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Hi Pharmanaut,

It's not the format that the information is put in which is what raises the security question, it's the transfer of information between email servers. While it might appear to be the solution to a seemingly simple problem, I must suggest (for what it's worth) hanging fire transmitting patient information via emails until there is an official standpoint from a supporting organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by NexphaseNorthy View Post
                      Hi Pharmanaut,

It's not the format that the information is put in which is what raises the security question, it's the transfer of information between email servers. While it might appear to be the solution to a seemingly simple problem, I must suggest (for what it's worth) hanging fire transmitting patient information via emails until there is an official standpoint from a supporting organisation.
                      Exactly the point, which I agree with completely.
                      However, being pragmatic we don't have to have a solution that costs loadsamoney on IT consultants fees which the NHS could better spend looking after the sick.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                        but I find it as useful in a busy pharmacy as a half blind illiterate dispenser with one leg.
                        so, you've worked there as well, have you?
                        ....just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                        X