Am I pregnant??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I pregnant??

Well not me as I havent got the relevant bits!!

Lady took morning after pill a week ago, within the 72 hours, had some spotting but no period, due period in about a week. Took a pregnancy test twice and said not pregnant. Not on pill!!

Is this too early to tell? What is the earliest a lady could tell from a test. I thought it was up to 4 day before period due!!

Is it a case of waiting till 4 days before period due then take another test??

Any detailed info out there for these specific queries? regarding times and menstrual cycle timings etc

Re: Am I pregnant??

accuracy of clearblue and first response (both usable up to 4 days before due period date) drops to around 69%. The best option is to wait the 4 days if using a home test.

an IUD can be used up to 5 days after intercourse and is slightly less effective than the morning after pill (though only about 1% difference)

Given that your pt already took the levonelle its pretty unlikely that they're pregnant but it always pays to check!
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
      accuracy of clearblue and first response (both usable up to 4 days before due period date) drops to around 69%. The best option is to wait the 4 days if using a home test.

an IUD can be used up to 5 days after intercourse and is slightly less effective than the morning after pill (though only about 1% difference)

Given that your pt already took the levonelle its pretty unlikely that they're pregnant but it always pays to check!
      Just for info - IUD can be fitted up to day 19 of cycle regardless of when in cycle UPSI occurred. It's main action is to prevent inplantation so woman can have UPSI on day 5 and then decide to have IUD on day 19 and it should still work. (I say should as I'm just quoting our local PGD guidelines here and I'm not a family planning expert!)

From timescale you mentioned - took levonelle about 1 week ago and period due about 1 week from now = levonelle taken around day 14?
      This is now considered to be the highest-risk window where Levonelle is least likely to work - for that reason our PGD is now encouraging us to refer for IUD if present for EHC during day 13-16 window. We still supply Levonelle but strongly encourage them to have IUD as backup.

I would tell woman that worrying about period/test result plays havoc with hormones and likely to make her even more overdue (not that I think she is even late yet, according to how I read the original post) Tests rely on detecting HCG which is only produced in enough of a quantity to detect by 10 days after fertilisation i.e. about day 24 of cycle (hence 4 days before period due)
      Titch

Comment

Had two related queries today:
        1) Girl came in and said although taking OC did not have a period after stopping for week. I sent her to her Dr.
        2) Parent of girl backpacking in Thailand came in with email. Apparently she was taking Microgynon to prevent periods but in excitement had forgoptten and did not start taking until her period had started. It had carried on and was still going on even though she had stopped the OC. She wanted to know what to do. I explained how OC worked and that curries etc may have affected absorption. I eventually suggested NHS direct as getting late.
        johnep

Comment

Working...
        X