Pre- Reg net income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre- Reg net income

Just talking to one of my friends who is a 3rd year medic and he said that during the training year they get roughly 22k. After NI, Tax and Paying back some of the student loan, they get a net total of £1200K, therefore they make about £1200*12 = £14,400.

For me that looks like dreadful pay considering the number of years they study for and the amount of work they have to do.

I am just wondering what a typical pre-reg would make in Pharmacy.

This is purely out of interest and to make a comparison by the way.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Pre- Reg net income

Figures for 2009-10 entry - all before tax:

Boots £18,500
    Lloyds about the same (anyone able to provide the exact figure?)
    Tesco £17,500
    Co-op £18,000

Hospital £20,225 currently so a little higher as 2 pay increases before 2009-10 entry

Independents range from £16,000 to £22,500 (highest I've heard of anyway)
    Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
      Figures for 2009-10 entry - all before tax:

Boots £18,500
      Lloyds about the same (anyone able to provide the exact figure?)
      Tesco £17,500
      Co-op £18,000

Hospital £20,225 currently so a little higher as 2 pay increases before 2009-10 entry

Independents range from £16,000 to £22,500 (highest I've heard of anyway)
      Lloyds 18 000 for normal candidates, 18 500 for those willing to relocate to other areas.
      sainsbury 20 500 ( believe it or not)
      Day Lewis 16 500
      paydens 18 000

giggsy, remmember some offers include paying your exam registration fees + RPSGP registration fees.

not trying to put you down mate, but why 90% of the times you talk about money related issues! sorry but i have been checking all the threads here, the ones posted since 2006, and i noticed that relax mate
      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        Lloyds 18 000 for normal candidates, 18 500 for those willing to relocate to other areas.
        sainsbury 20 500 ( believe it or not)
        Day Lewis 16 500
        paydens 18 000

giggsy, remmember some offers include paying your exam registration fees + RPSGP registration fees.

not trying to put you down mate, but why 90% of the times you talk about money related issues! sorry but i have been checking all the threads here, the ones posted since 2006, and i noticed that relax mate
        lol just out of interest, honestly I didnt choose this for money although my threads seem like it. I will relax on this issue as you say

Comment

[COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
          [/COLOR]

Comment

I'm starting my pre-reg with lloyds in 2009. They haven't sent out the contracts yet but it is in the £18500 range?

Does anybody know what the large multiples pay to newly qualified pharmacists after the pre-reg?

Comment

Thanks for info tictch and ray. So I suppose we make about £1000 after all the deductions right.

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                Thanks for info tictch and ray. So I suppose we make about £1000 after all the deductions right.
                True, which means 6 pounds/hour without paying any tax
                i managed to get £1000 /month during this summer, when paid 5.52/hour and working some extra hours, without paying income tax as a student.

if it makes you feel better, keep on thinking you will earn 18 000/ years, not a TOTAL of 12 000/ year
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  True, which means 6 pounds/hour without paying any tax
                  i managed to get £1000 /month during this summer, when paid 5.52/hour and working some extra hours, without paying income tax as a student.

if it makes you feel better, keep on thinking you will earn 18 000/ years, not a TOTAL of 12 000/ year
                  hmm yeah I got paid around that wage during summer too without pay stupid Income tax. Can I just ask does everyone pay the same% of tax?

the whole questioned came to my head as if medics are getting paid 1200 per month we were getting paid even lower which seems true.

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                    Can I just ask does everyone pay the same% of tax?
                    Short answer is No. Taxation is a complex issue, which has been argued long and hard on other threads..just do a search..you'll find it all there.
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Tax is something we all have to pay. Loans have to be paid back. Medics are NOT paid £1200, depending on circumstances it could be more or less than that. Obviously doctors won't earn as much whilst training as they will whilst qualified. The same applies to everyone.

You could lease an Aston Martin for about £1000 a month. If a medic decided to do that would you say he was working for nothing?

There sure is a lot of Bollox talked at the moment!
                      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                        Tax is something we all have to pay. Loans have to be paid back. Medics are NOT paid £1200, depending on circumstances it could be more or less than that. Obviously doctors won't earn as much whilst training as they will whilst qualified. The same applies to everyone.

You could lease an Aston Martin for about £1000 a month. If a medic decided to do that would you say he was working for nothing?

There sure is a lot of Bollox talked at the moment!
                        I am trying to find out as I am getting to an age where I need to know things like this.

Could a pre reg not lease an aston martin then

Comment

Of course a pre-reg could lease an Aston Martin
                          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Tbh I owe a lot to people on this forum and I will just admit to why I ask about pay.

I have never been bothered by how much I will earn to tell people the truth. However, I know about 4/5 med students and it pisses me off when they try to take the mick out of me (whether it's a joke or not) about earning less than them in the future. It's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction from me and that's all. Just wanted to say this because I don't want people on here thinking I am a money grabber or something.

Comment

TBH pharmacist's in theory earn more than doctors, e.g. GPs earn say 125k per year. Thats what a moderatley quite pharmacy (150 items per day) makes, so if a pharmacist owned such pharmacy s/he'd be making more than doctors. unfortunatelu unlike most of europe in UK anyone can own a pharmacy, whch has resulted in todays configuration seen in pharmacy sector, i.e. multiples etc... I dont know whats happening but these multiples would rather pay locums which probably works out to be ~60-70k per year, rather than get a decent manager and pay more decent salaries of say 50k.

Tax is something everyone has to pay, just think of it this way, 40k means about 28k after tax, that means 12k in tax (excluding all other taxes e.g. council tax, VAT, fuel duty etc...), assuming full time, that works out to be a bit above minimum wage. i.e. each hour you work, your paying £5.50 in tax, same as what yor dispenser is probably earning, but hey Shit happens. so after tax Doctor's dont earn that much more than pharmacists, especially when you take their working hours in consideration e.g. overnight, on call, the kind patients they have to TOUCH, etc....
                              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Working...
                              X