Embarassing question/situation asked in the pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarassing question/situation asked in the pharmacy

When I was in the pharmacy on thursday, a teenager about 16 came in and wanted a word with the pharmacist in the consulation room. I told the pharmacist. The pharmacist suggested I went in too in order to make some notes etc as part of cpd.

Was I really that wrong to do what I did, after all it is a stupid qu and again shows how daft some of the public are right?
    Last edited by Asterix; 22, November 2008, 05:35 PM.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Embarassing question/situation asked in the pharmacy

you can laugh as much as you can, but not infront of the patient. you don't want to make him feel more embarassed.....
    plus its soooooo unprofessional to do so, but i can understand you lol :P
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      you can laugh as much as you can, but not infront of the patient. you don't want to make him feel more embarassed.....
      plus its soooooo unprofessional to do so, but i can understand you lol :P
      i knew it was unprofessional but isn't it such a funny question in anyones eyes ray. However, one thing which did get me was that wet dreams were uncommon after the age of 17.

Comment

It's understandable about what you did - the subject itself is quite amusing and I would have probably had a chuckle (to myself later on, well out of earshot of everyone!) BUT it must have been highly embarrassing to the patient and for them to even pluck up the courage to come and speak to someone means that they were very worried about it. It probably didn't help matters for the patient and may have made them less likely to approach someone for advice about something ptentially serious in the future.

The key thing here is that you have to maintain a level of professionalism - you need to be able to keep a straight face no matter what gets brought through your shop door. We've all seen some hair-raising things happen during patient consultations - the trick is not causing the patient any further embarrassment.

I can understand why your pharmacist was fuming, and to be honest if I was in his/her position I would have taken you to the office for a word or two about patient relations and professionalism.

Treat the episode as a lesson in 'what not to do' for the future...
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I once had a patient who said to me ‘you know why I come here….?’

I said… ‘why…?’

She said…..’You have a nice round bottom’……

Lazy Lady...
          [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
            It's understandable about what you did - the subject itself is quite amusing and I would have probably had a chuckle (to myself later on, well out of earshot of everyone!) BUT it must have been highly embarrassing to the patient and for them to even pluck up the courage to come and speak to someone means that they were very worried about it. It probably didn't help matters for the patient and may have made them less likely to approach someone for advice about something ptentially serious in the future.

The key thing here is that you have to maintain a level of professionalism - you need to be able to keep a straight face no matter what gets brought through your shop door. We've all seen some hair-raising things happen during patient consultations - the trick is not causing the patient any further embarrassment.

I can understand why your pharmacist was fuming, and to be honest if I was in his/her position I would have taken you to the office for a word or two about patient relations and professionalism.

Treat the episode as a lesson in 'what not to do' for the future...
            but as far as i am aware it doesnt cause any potential problems does it.

Tbh I should have shown more manner and maturity.

Comment

"but as far as i am aware it doesnt cause any potential problems does it"
              it does.....
              1- risking to loose a customer
              2-risk of raising some complains to the PCT/head office
              3- watch out, he might come after you when you walk home alone
              [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post

I said… ‘why…?’

[/COLOR]

Comment

it does.....
                  yeah the first point was raised in 'the meeting'.

I suppose I can use it as a point of reflective learning but what advice could I possible give the kid about stopping it

Comment

I said… ‘why…?’

hehehe

Comment

it does.....
                      and in extreme cases, complaint to the society followed by reprimand for 'bringing the profession into disrepute'

and in the future, referral to the fitness to practise directorate...

in other words be careful! the laugh you have now could end up biting you on the arse (sorry for the bottom reference lazy ) in the future!
                      “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I said… ‘why…?’

Horrible sleezy man taking liberties like that. That's a disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
                          Horrible sleezy man taking liberties like that. That's a disgrace.
                          just to correct you mate
                          Horrible sleezy WOMAN taking liberties like that. That's a disgrace
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
                            and in extreme cases, complaint to the society followed by reprimand for 'bringing the profession into disrepute'

and in the future, referral to the fitness to practise directorate...

in other words be careful! the laugh you have now could end up biting you on the arse (sorry for the bottom reference lazy ) in the future!

but what advice can be given?
                            its just a cycle which can happen to any age no?

Comment

just to correct you mate
                              Horrible sleezy WOMAN taking liberties like that. That's a disgrace
                              I am confused--what gender is Lazy and what gender was the customer.

Comment

Working...
                              X