Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to the states...

Bored so though I would ask a simple question:

People complain about Salaries for us in the uk (most reach 40-45k right). In America, they pay from 90k to 120k. Ok I realise $100k is £50k but the average pharmacist doesn't make this here and the cost of living there is cheaper.

You could say money doesn't matter which is fine but the public there seem to respect you more too, so weighing the financial and the privelege given why don't more people from here try for there or a place like Canada even.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Moving to the states...

because you need to sit for an extra 2 years, then 1 practical training year in order to practice their. plus the Law differs from a state to another....
    no one would do it..........
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

giggsy have you read 'the angry pharmacist' blog? no way i'd want to work in the US if its even a fraction like that!
      “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
        giggsy have you read 'the angry pharmacist' blog? no way i'd want to work in the US if its even a fraction like that!
        no any link for that, what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          because you need to sit for an extra 2 years, then 1 practical training year in order to practice their. plus the Law differs from a state to another....
          no one would do it..........
          Its 2 years overall, well worth it in the end if you ask me for the pay and comfort. What do you mean no one, people do do it.

Comment

The Angry Pharmacist

enjoy!
            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
              Jim Plagakis

Giggsy,
              Get on there and have a read.
              No way would I work F/T in the USA.
              A 3 day week would be OK though 2x12 hour shifts and then 4 days off to live your life.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Despite the fact of all this, the pay seems great, would you not agree?

Not only that but they seem to have more fields such as nuclear pharmacy do we even have that here in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                  Despite the fact of all this, the pay seems great, would you not agree?

Not only that but they seem to have more fields such as nuclear pharmacy do we even have that here in the UK?

pay is great but it seems to be at the extreme end of the stress/hassle spectrum. I for one know that unless i landed lucky i'd be facing burnout within a few years.

nuclear pharmacy's uk equivalent is the radiopharmacist, working in the aseptic / radiopharmacy unit of a hospital offering these services. Often these days only one or two hospitals will have a radiopharmacy in a trust and these will produce meds for all hospitals in the trust which need them (and i think some even produce / market certain products to other trusts nationally - although i could be sir_misinformedalot on that nugget of info).

Terry Pratchett

Comment

If it's purely about money,have you considered Ireland?

€90-100K presently do-able as a locum (45 hour week), with 6 weeks holiday of your choice..also straight in..no initiation years with low pay..(approx £75K p.a. equivalent)....That's just the way it is now..who knows what may change..also, no Florida weather, unfortunately!..Not very much hassle either.
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

no I am not bothered about pay, more concerned about having a lifestyle where I don't have to study all my life, I don't want to work too long and get a good enough money to buy a 4 by 4

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
                        If it's purely about money,have you considered Ireland?

€90-100K presently do-able as a locum (45 hour week), with 6 weeks holiday of your choice..also straight in..no initiation years with low pay..(approx £75K p.a. equivalent)....That's just the way it is now..who knows what may change..also, no Florida weather, unfortunately!..Not very much hassle either.
                        Is €90-100K the starting salary range for a locum? How is the demand of pharmacists there? The downside is that due to its size, the market probably isn't big enough. What's the reason for them having a higher salary(is this related to their differing health care system?)

Comment

Originally posted by aussiepharmer View Post
                          Is €90-100K the starting salary range for a locum? How is the demand of pharmacists there? The downside is that due to its size, the market probably isn't big enough. What's the reason for them having a higher salary(is this related to their differing health care system?)
                          shortage of pharmacists, better funding from the government, 6 years to get pharm D degree....

to be honest, if anytime i feel situation will get worse here in england, i won't hesitate to move to chicago and do the extra year and sit for registration exam!
                          at least i have got a family over there, higher wages, less to spend on living expenses ( lower income tax + cheaper to live), plus i got some connections, p'cist uncle gaining 150 000/ year.
                          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

I knew you would be attracted ray .
                            may I ask where and what type of pharmacist your uncle is mate.

edit: I don't get the whole there is a different rule for each exam, what's a state etc?

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                              I knew you would be attracted ray .
                              may I ask where and what type of pharmacist your uncle is mate.

edit: I don't get the whole there is a different rule for each exam, what's a state etc?
                              state is like a county here i.e nottinghamshire includes Nottingham, derby, beeston....etc

if you want to practice in Illinois state( where chicago is found) you have to sit for their Law and Ethics exam, if you decide to move to Huston Texas, you have to sit for their Law and Ethics exam again ( i.e remember some of the rules here in England differs than in Scotland or wales, simple example is accepting hospital returned medicines, allowed in Scotland but not in England.....etc)

My uncle been a pharmacist manager for years for a Walgreens branch in chicago.
                              Last edited by Rafael; 23, November 2008, 11:21 AM.
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X