Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I motivate an understretched technician?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I motivate an understretched technician?

A year ago I poached a very experienced ACT from our local hospital. I've known her for over 20 years and was really keen for her to come and work for me. She probably spends about eight hours a week accuracy checking (partly because our workflow makes it difficult for her to be in a position to do more and partly because I don't think it would be fair to chain her to a checking bench for 36 hours a week). She's very hardworking and has a vast amount of knowledge but I am finding it difficult to keep her motivated as there doesn't seem to be enough challenge for her here. I've given her responsibility for the PCT public health campaigns and for this year's patient satisfaction survey, but she needs more to keep her interested. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Re: How do I motivate an understretched technician?

Exactly the reason our ACT went to work in hospital. Checking MDS three days a week wore him down! Now i have to check MDS 5 days a weeks

Comment

Get her to do Diabetes, BP and INR checks and offer these as a service to the PCT. Could also do strip tests on urine samples etc.
      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsfield View Post
        Anyone out there have any suggestions?
        Series of clinic audits some/most/all of which she's allowed to choose and implement.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Get her to do Diabetes, BP and INR checks and offer these as a service to the PCT. Could also do strip tests on urine samples etc.
          johnep
          I understand your sentiments but whilst the ACT is doing all these checks, whose checking all the rx's?? The pharmacist?? Shouldn't it be the pharmacist doing all these health checks, interpreting results, and offering relevant advice whilst the ACT checks the Rx's

Isn't the whole point of employing an ACT to get the pharmacist away from checking Rx's and out offering more of these enhanced services?

Could she be involved in a supervisory role over other staff? Perhaps she could do staff training sessions?

Comment

Let her cash up the tills--in my experience it can take most of the day to sort out "queries". And it's very challenging, I hear!

Comment

Make her your right arm "man" (lol, person).

-if you're doing something delegate a part of it to her, e.g. if your doing a clinic let her join in, see how to do it.
              -let her assume the position of supervisor, where she's incharge when your not there.
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Working...
              X