Odd scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd scripts

Today had hospital script for Betnovate Scalp Lotion. Use 2 - 3 drops in both ears for 10 days.

Anyone heard of this before, checked with hospital and was in pts notes.
    johnep

Re: Odd scripts

doctors can prescribe paracetamol to treat cancer if they want, atleast this was closer to the mark
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      Today had hospital script for Betnovate Scalp Lotion. Use 2 - 3 drops in both ears for 10 days.

johnep
      Betnesol eye/ear drops have been difficult to get hold of for a while haven't they? So betnovate scalp lotion would seem like a reasonable alternative.

Comment

available now aren't they?

Comment

maybe the patient had amazingly hairy ears!

seriously though, i've never seen it used in the ear and the base its in might damage the eardrum. Best person to have a word with might be the info dept at the drug manufacturer. If they're crap try the medicines info dept at the local hospital to see if they've heard of it before. More than likely a well-meaning cock up...
          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

hey Dispensalot ("my lord"), you always go on about ringing the manufacturers or the medicines information services etc... do you actualy get time for all this? if so, how?
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Solly, I work in a pharmacy that does nearly 30,000 items a month, if you need to make an important call regarding someones treatment then other customers will have to wait. If they don't like it...tough!

Comment

30,000 computes to 1000 items per day

with that I assume they're not all walk ins, there must be dossettes, nursing homes, repeats, deliveries etc etc....so the walk in can wait, but what about the ones i describe above,

if a nursing home patients' next months supply starts on a certain day, you have to get it done by that time, and I guess in this case the definition of "important" is different to that in a less busy pharmacy,

I mean if there is a mistake in a Rx, it takes ages to get through to a surgery, and then you have to try and explain to non-medically trained receptionist what the problem is, and then the doctor is supposed to call back, also with the enhanced services time is taken up there too, so the easiest thing to do is refuse to dispense it.

with that many items I hope you have a second parmacist or atleast a few ACTs

Comment

Most are walk ins and deliveries. We do about 3000 MDS(170 patients) a month and 1400 Methadone. We've got rid of all but one nursing home as they are a major pain(always want things yesterday and demand it a minute before you shut for day!!).

All MDS and nursing home Rx's are ordered at least a week in advance so any queries/cockups by surgery can be sorted.

We are slowly getting through to customers to give us at least 24hrs notice for monthly repeat deliveries, this means all deliveries can be made up a day ahead and also gives us capacity to cope with all the emergency antibiotic/cd scripts. I counted our delivery dockets for tuesday and our drivers did 150 drop offs for that one day!!

We don't have an ACT, but always a minimum of 2 pharmacists on duty, quite often 3 or 4!!

Comment

We don't have an ACT, but always a minimum of 2 pharmacists on duty, quite often 3 or 4!!
                    that makes sense, so your pharmacy isnt a typical pharmacy like the vast majority of them with a single pharmacist, and a few staff of limited training.

I wish I worked in pharmacy like Jeff's or Mr T, they've got ACTs aswell as being paly with the docs, but hey, I gotta find my feet first, I can always work on the wings later. (I believe I can fly)

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                      hey Dispensalot ("my lord"), you always go on about ringing the manufacturers or the medicines information services etc... do you actualy get time for all this? if so, how?

well i have lots of time now i'm in a supermarket, but back in the days of doing around 600 a day with 2 dispensers, no act and one counter assistant nothing stopped me ringing an info dept. Normally they would call me back with the answer i needed (after me explaining to pt and offering to contact them and/or deliver once sorted) OR know the answer right away.
                      It's often quicker and easier to speak to an MI dept or drug company that it is trying to chase up some consultant and interrupt his round (of golf).

total average time spent arsing around = 10 minutes
                      total delay to script queue = 5 mins (pretty easy to still check whilst on hold on speakerphone)
                      total relief to yourself, patient and doctor = priceless

I'd rather the other 10 customer's day be slightly delayed than pass the buck or even cause someone some serious harm.

As someone mentioned in a previous thread (i forget who, and which thread), the doctor has us as a safety net. who do we have? nobody.

oh, and it's not "lord", it's "sir" or "m'lud"
                      “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post

johnep
                        Did the patient not know anything about his/her medication? You can call me naive if you like but I would have thought a doctor (even a hospital one!) would have explained to the patient before issuing a script for scalp lotion to use in the ears.

Comment

I had checked with hospital and confirmed on notes. Consultant off on holiday.
                          I explained to pt when he collected, still phoned me up later to reconfirm. I posted the incident because though a hospital pharm may have come across before.
                          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
                            Did the patient not know anything about his/her medication? You can call me naive if you like but I would have thought a doctor (even a hospital one!) would have explained to the patient before issuing a script for scalp lotion to use in the ears.

I have learnt never to assume a doctor has explained anything to a patient. Even if Dr. has explained patient has probably forgotten!!

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                              Solly, I work in a pharmacy that does nearly 30,000 items a month, if you need to make an important call regarding someones treatment then other customers will have to wait. If they don't like it...tough!
                              Tadcaster?

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X