Too shy to be a pharmacist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too shy to be a pharmacist?

Do you know of any pharmacist who gave up his job because he was too shy to deal with the public? Interpersonal contacts are hard for me because of my self-contained personality and my physical appearance (don't know which of them is the cause and which - the result). I have recently graduated but I really don't want to work in a pharmacy. However, the problem is that I'm in desperate need of money.

You may ask why the hell did I choose studying pharmacy? Well, it was a few years ago and I was a different man then. I was interested in life sciences, especially chemistry, so I thought that it would be a good combination of interests and a well-paid job in the future. But now I feel it was the greatest mistake in my life and it is now ruined. Well, at least I have learnt the symptoms of depression - thanks to that I'm sure that I suffer from it.

The most important thing for me now is money. I would like to start my own business (connected with pharmacy, BTW) but I lack necessary capital. That's why I need money.

Re: Too shy to be a pharmacist?

i suggest you try some of the locuming agencies, ask them to put you in places with a pharmacist manager or another pharmacist working. by doing this, you will get the less contact with patients, giving it sometime you will get over your shyness problem.
    for now give it a try, and try to work on yourself slowly.
    best of luck
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Good suggestion, I have worked with people like you, and they are best as 'back room boys'. Me being a bit brash found myself in role of 'frontman' and was happy to be in the thick of it.

However, if you cannot get on with people and pts, then work in a lab.
      johnep

Comment

also you can try locuming on saterday and sunday and monday as a beginner. and take the rest of the week off.
        saterday and sunday aint busy, same as monday
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Hi Philly

To be honest….I think you are just feeling very anxious. You have just graduated and you’re worried how you will apply all the knowledge gained at Uni.

I think you should complete your pre-reg – make the most of it and find out about various career paths you might want to take.

Then think about whether pharmacy suits you or not. Pre-reg year really does change some graduates.

The man you say you were…may reappear again!

Maybe your pre-reg place might offer you the job (post-reg)…..even better, as that will add to your confidence too!

Do not give up after studying a 4 yrs Masters course….!!!!!
          Lazy Lady...
          [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by philly View Post
            Do you know of any pharmacist who gave up his job because he was too shy to deal with the public?
            Get therapy. I realise that in itself requires a fair bit of courage, but it will be worth it. On the way, your GP will probably give you seroxat, which might be worth trying until the therapy takes hold, but should not take the place of therapy.

Reminds me of a story one of my sons told me. He's training to be an actuary. What's the difference between an extrovert actuary, and an introvert actuary. Well, an extrovert actuary looks at your shoes when he's talking to you ...

So if pharmacy is really not for you, there may be other careers ........
            ....just my opinion

Comment

self-contained personality and my physical appearance
              people have missed the point again, I think the second component is the most important one, it could be the cause of the first one, people should stop being so harsh, you ask people they still think pharmacists wear white coats and are in the dispensary all day counting tablets and sticking label on things!!!

Philly, if i'm not being too personal, what exactly about your appearance do you feel is "wrong"?
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

I think the fear of the unknown is what you are most afraid of. Remember you dont have to be pro-actively extroverted, you just need to respond professionally to individuals requests. I'm sure once you get some experience under your belt you'll be fine. As long as you are competent and stay within the law

I am in a similar position to you. Although I'm mainly anxious about my lack of experience (spent 6 months in hospital and 6 months in industry, with 6 days in community). I'ev only just this week qualified and once I get my PI sorted I have to bite the bullet and get on with it. I am nervous to hell about it, but anticipation is normally the worst part (I hope!)
                Remember you aren't alone there are others in your position feeling the same way. You've done half the distance in asking for help.

If you are so interested in life sceinces/chemistry why dont you enquire into going into industry

Comment

Originally posted by Bainio View Post
                  I think the fear of the unknown is what you are most afraid of. Remember you dont have to be pro-actively extroverted, you just need to respond professionally to individuals requests. I'm sure once you get some experience under your belt you'll be fine. As long as you are competent and stay within the law

I am in a similar position to you. Although I'm mainly anxious about my lack of experience (spent 6 months in hospital and 6 months in industry, with 6 days in community). I'ev only just this week qualified and once I get my PI sorted I have to bite the bullet and get on with it. I am nervous to hell about it, but anticipation is normally the worst part (I hope!)
                  Remember you aren't alone there are others in your position feeling the same way. You've done half the distance in asking for help.

If you are so interested in life sceinces/chemistry why dont you enquire into going into industry
                  any updates with philly and bainio? let us know guys how things are going with you now
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by philly View Post
                    Do you know of any pharmacist who gave up his job because he was too shy to deal with the public? Interpersonal contacts are hard for me because of my self-contained personality and my physical appearance (don't know which of them is the cause and which - the result). I have recently graduated but I really don't want to work in a pharmacy. However, the problem is that I'm in desperate need of money.

You may ask why the hell did I choose studying pharmacy? Well, it was a few years ago and I was a different man then. I was interested in life sciences, especially chemistry, so I thought that it would be a good combination of interests and a well-paid job in the future. But now I feel it was the greatest mistake in my life and it is now ruined. Well, at least I have learnt the symptoms of depression - thanks to that I'm sure that I suffer from it.

The most important thing for me now is money. I would like to start my own business (connected with pharmacy, BTW) but I lack necessary capital. That's why I need money.
                    Show me one person who says they have no problem with their appearance, or no problem with their inter-personal skills, and I will show you a liar. Deep down we all have fears and apprehensions..the trick is to overcome them, and move on.

Your life is not ruined, it is beginning. Regarding money, if you can produce a good business plan, the banks will fall over each other to gain your business..they are always receptive to a sound investment.

You know what you want..now go out there and get it!..it's not as hard as you may think.
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      also you can try locuming on saterday and sunday and monday as a beginner. and take the rest of the week off.
                      saterday and sunday aint busy, same as monday
                      Weekends might be less busy but can have substantially more OTC queries so probably best to avoid until confidence is improved.

I'd try to get work as a 2nd pharmacist so you have some backup, unless the thought of working with someone else fills you with dread.

As already suggested I'd ask your GP to refer you for counselling - it's what we would tell any patient coming in describign the same situation. Oh and if antidepressants are offered, give them a try but not Seroxat - patients have real problems weaning off it IMHO.
                      Titch

Comment

OK we have Bank Holiday coming up.
                        1) Please confirm on phone with wholesaler that items promised for Sat am are in stock and will be sent.
                        2) Check all blue scripts that Dr has remembered it is Bank holiday.
                        3) Be prepared for emergency and loan requests. Confirm with latter that loan is against script and you cannot accept pt bringing in a few odd tablets or an inhaler instead. easiest is only to loan against PCS.
                        johnep

Comment

Working...
                        X